What type of seahorse species?

reeftask

• SRC Member

err, its looks more to a female, as according to websites' most pictures.Maybe the stomach full looks more like a male. I feed it with live shrimps very full.

btw need to know the species because if anyone asked, I will be paiseh not to know what I am having.

Then my mouth will be like this:

:sick:

• SRC Member

yeah, got from Iwarna.

Back body seems not like Kuda. Its back body is like reidi.

Anyone can advise? Iwarna unable to retify what species.

Anyone who wants to buy must be careful as seahorse are highly hard to keep. Dont kill it if your infos and free time are not enough. They need few feedings/day and highly sensitive to its foods, surroundings and environments. Best to keep as a species tank only/SHOWLR.

• SRC Member

yeah, seems the most similar is both reidi and kuda. but seems confusing too as the back is similar to reidi but the coronet is similar to Kuda. There is no reidi in vietnam but there is Kuda in Vietnam and Indonesia. tried to search other species but to no avail. Limited photos and details on seahorse.

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSum...55&what=species

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSum...85&what=species

• SRC Member
Hi,

Do they still have it and how much did you pay for it, sorry to ask this.

Cheers,

Chris

I dont know if they still have it. Price is not convenient to reveal in public. When I buy it, saw some dead ones with one death found still hanging on algae. Might be dead when asleep. All black and not stable yet. When I brought it home, it refuse to eat live shrimp for 1 day and hide all the time in the LR. Luckily I always stand-by a quarantine tank and an extra 2ft tank full of LR.

Chris, do you have experience on seahorse?

• SRC Member
Hi,

Thanks, I have experience seahorse and I keep only seahorse tank and I am still learning as well.

Cheers,

Chris

wow! your seahorse experience in what? making babies? LOL. And you still learning from your seahorse? LOL. Joking....

i suggest you to go down take a look yourself. Wont be sorry.

• SRC Member

I suspect they are hybrids... reidi and kuda hybrids... but then again i maybe wrong... but if u study reidi and kuda... they are almost alike.. except for the coronet/ crown... different water's kuda/reidi might be different too.... i've seen RED kuda before... pure red just like a red reidi is, but the features are the same as kuda. ;)

the last few batches of vietnam kuda i buy, they nvr have male for sale ;)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member
I suspect they are hybrids... reidi and kuda hybrids... but then again i maybe wrong... but if u study reidi and kuda... they are almost alike.. except for the coronet/ crown... different water's kuda/reidi might be different too.... i've seen RED kuda before... pure red just like a red reidi is, but the features are the same as kuda. ;)

the last few batches of vietnam kuda i buy, they nvr have male for sale ;)

Hey, why so long? Was waiting for your reply so long. want to pm you but paiseh.

Luckily you write here. LOL.

I too agree your view. Want to say reidi but some parts not the same. Want to say kuda but some parts not the same. Seems all body parts are mixture of kuda and reidi only. I bought another which has the biggest brood from Iwarna but after got home, seems both about the same ######. All the seahorse in the tank has about the same size brood.

Victor while in doubt state, said it is still too young to tell the ###### and they are bout 6 months old. But from internet, they should already have ###### difference long ago. After you said the shipment no males, I realized that you are right. Maybe this shipment has no male. Now I ended with 2 females and made me crying for a male seahorse. If able to get one male seahorse, he should be very lucky because there will be 2 gorgeous gals waiting for him to ######. LOL

• SRC Member

From internet, they said seahorse can change colours to suit the surroundings, moods and even their mates. But no details on why they choose this colour? If they can change colour everyday, its better, LOL.

What did these Vietnamese do with the males? Maybe they discriminate against female and feel proud of the males. According to all the Vietnamese and other countries research, male and female seahorse populations are equal.

I bought some Live Brine Shrimp today. Both the seahorses just stare and dont care. They dont know what is Brine shrimp and wont eat.

Hi,

Bought 4 of them and one which is a male but die on the way home when buying forgot to check the condition of the male and a check when it is dead, the male had apparently not been eating well as it is rather thin.

Feed them with live brine shrimp and they finished up the whole bag ( small bag ) and now training them to feed from a feeding station with frozen mysis shrimp and they can really eat.

Only thing is they are still black and only one of them is in lighter colour.

Now have three female and the next batch will come in soon.

Pacific Reef actually come in some last week but by the time i went down on weekend, all are sold out.

Cheers,

Chris

• SRC Member
Hi,

Bought 4 of them and one which is a male but die on the way home when buying forgot to check the condition of the male and a check when it is dead, the male had apparently not been eating well as it is rather thin.

Feed them with live brine shrimp and they finished up the whole bag ( small bag ) and now training them to feed from a feeding station with frozen mysis shrimp and they can really eat.

Only thing is they are still black and only one of them is in lighter colour.

Now have three female and the next batch will come in soon.

Pacific Reef actually come in some last week but by the time i went down on weekend, all are sold out.

Cheers,

Chris

this month and last month had gone down as soon as pacific reef shipment arrives every week and awaited all the time until they had unpacked all stocks. Never seen any seahorse.

you bought a male? males has the extra brood at bottom. never see any there with this extra brood. Victor also know all same no extra brood.

your next new male seahorse will enjoy more than in my tank. Your tank is stand-by with 3 gorgeous females. :kiss::o

mine just only two. :unsure:

• SRC Member

brine shrimp not good for sh.... feeding brine shrimp brought striaght from lfs is like feeding your sh potato chips, must at least enrich the brine shrimp with selcon and stuff before u feed to your sh.

i still suggest feeding your sh more meaty shrimps...like ... tiny ghost, mysis, malaya or cherry shrimps..... these are some shrimps u should be able to get locally. ;)

when they strong enough, begain frozen training. :P

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

Hi,

I try not to feed them with brine shrimp but since I got them that day just to get it started first on some food so I go for brine shrimp first.

By the way, the seahorse is rather small can they eat up the mysis shrimp?

LCK 110 has live mysis shrimp, I had bought from them a few time but they are so far and can only afford to go there once a week.

Cheers,

Chris

• SRC Member

Yes you can feed the live mysis. LCK's type of live mysis are bigger than the hikari frozen mysis by ratio 3:1. The seahorse will suck so hard, they spray out water from the coronet a few times. Sometimes they will leave a portion broken away.

I had noticed my seahorse preferred the live mysis.

Its very far for me too. Its very inconvenient for me to go there too. The mysis is enough for more than two weeks. Only problem, they die off very fast even ammonia is low. Ammonia starts due to sudden amount of mysis introduced at once.

I am planning to diy a seahorse fry tank which can be a mysis tank too. First this is to maintain the live mysis. Secondly, if the seahorse suddenly mates, I will not be caught with my pants down.

Well, brine are not good but under convenience, and once in a blue moon, it is needed to feed them this. I just want them to enjoy more on different food and sometimes ###### bits, LOL

BTW Im feeding the live mysis only to my seahorse. I am not feeding to my main tank fishes because I dont want them to later turn to my peppermint and coral banded shrimp as supper or dessert.