BlackBerry Repairs

williammuk

• SRC Member

Hi all,

My BlackBerry 8707 dropped and cracked the LCD. :cry2::cry2::cry2:

I've checked with my telco provider and they quoted me an arm and a leg for the repair -- because RIM doesn't do repair locally and the unit needs to be air freight back to Canada for repairs.

Does anyone know where can I get it the LCD replaced locally at a reasonable cost?

Thanks for your help.

:bow:

• SRC Member

U can try to bring that unit to Sim Lim Square shop where the second hand computer for sale to test your luck...

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
Sorry to hear that.  I got his advertisement from magazine.  did not know he charges so high.

Anyway to get it to a 2nd hand phone shop to try your luck?

Hey, no problem bro. I already appreciate your suggestion. So no need to apologise. Thank you.

Unfortunately, BBs are not as common as other mobile phones.

I doubt if those 2nd hand phone shops will carry the spares or know how to repair it.

But I may just ask if I happen to pass by one.

Thanks again. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi all, just to share with everyone my experience in repairing my BlackBerry 8707's cracked LCD screen.

Decided to mail order a replacement screen on eBay. Total cost is US$59.46 (about S$90). Looking at the new LCD, I think it is a compatible screen (meant for 8700 series) as it doesn’t look the same as the RIM one. Anyway, doesn't matter as it works great. Brightness is also the same.

Initially takes about 30 minutes to dismantle the BB and install the screen. But I think can shorten to 15 minutes once you know how to overcome the tricky parts.

What takes the most time is opening rear casing as I couldn't figure out how to open it without breaking the clips. Now it is a breeze. :) The other difficult part is removing the LCD screen and putting it back. Also quite tricky to do as you don't want to break the connector.

If you ever need to replace your BB's screen, do a search on eBay for "blackberry 8700 lcd" and it will throw up many matches. Prices varies.

DIY instructions from here http://www.somelifeblog.com/2007/03/blackb...broken-lcd.html

Hope the above helps someone in the future.

Cheers.