Natural sunlight for clams?

chinmo

• SRC Member

hi guys! i have a tub at my balcony... ti will receive 8hrs of indirect sunlight and 4hrs of direct afternoon to evenin sunlight.... will clams be able to do well under such condition? :huh: pls advise :P

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

dun have wor..... may just add a bigger fan.... but normally ard 28'c.... at nite 27-26'c :huh:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

no windows bro, just next to a open balcony ledge :)

• SRC Member

From the description of lighting , I believe u are able to keep clams in the mentioned spot.... The sun light is enough.....

I can forsee a few problems

. Sunlight heating the water too fast your solution of having fan is OK but bear in mind clams especially maxima do not really tolerate temp swings well... Suggest you get a "garang" chiller

. Needing to top up often this will result in salinity fluctuation... Not a good thing for clams... Solution : Get an auto top up...for accurate daily top up...

. AS you mentioned the set up is in blacony, rain might easily get in Solution : Get clear palstic/glass to prevent the water from coming in...

If you can overcome the abovementioned problems you might well be on the way to have a first clam farm in singapore....

• SRC Member

my tank is in my balcony! excellent place for corals, fishes... and lots of alage. haha... save alot of $ too, without all the mh.

corals will do well in natural sunlight. my corals is a very good example. plus, all my living organisms in my tank will sleep immediately as soon as the sun sets. a chiller is a must.

if u don't mind alage...and really lots of them... u can put in your balcony...

My tank is also in the balcony receiving indirect and direct sunlight. Although the corals and clams are quite happy there, it is because of:

1) Use of chiller,

2) Supplementary use of actinics in the daytime

3) Use of MH in the evening and at night

Nuisance algae growth is kept in check with controlled feeding, regular water change, agressive skimming and use of cleaning crew.

I find that the maximas do better than the croceas.

Hope this helps! ;)

dun have wor..... may just add a bigger fan.... but normally ard 28'c.... at nite 27-26'c :huh:

Direct sunlight is what they get in the wild or most farm works on. There is no reason why not as long as water parameter are right including temp. It looks fine with 28 deg but a chiller can be a back up if temp hit above 30 but 29 is safer bet if you wants your clam to enjoy the cool water. I understand they grows well within 25-30.

Basically, clams will grow with just clean/right water and strong lighting. Must have atleast some water flow. ;)

I saw someone ever posted his tank with MH and sunlight as comparison in reefcentral. MH look so dim under sunlight. Farm usually use shade cloth to block sunlight which helps to prevent algae bloom but direct light will benefit better growth.

JMO.

• SRC Member

yeah, there is no light that can compare to the sun. Only afraid algae blooms and always must change water.

Corals are found at hundreds of meters depths that our tank are uncomparable. Our tanks max only below a meter depth. Light after penetrating these deep depth are reduced tremendously. Furthermore the sea has more stable parameters than our tank.

One of SRC's Senior used to keep clams at his outdoor "tank" using natural sunlight. But when the ENV start increasing their anti-dengue fumigation campaign, most of his stock succumbs.

I think its possible, just that being oudoor will be more exposed to the elements. For that senior's case the problem is fumigations.

HTH;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

That's true.... my tank crash during that period of time... I smell some insectcide smell going from upper floor.... didn't suspect anything and didn't even cover my tank top and by evening time realised everything died....

After that, I'll cover the top when there is any alien smell...

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
That's true....  my tank crash during that period of time...  I smell some insectcide smell going from upper floor.... didn't suspect anything and didn't even cover my tank top and by evening time realised everything died.... 

After that, I'll cover the top when there is any alien smell...

alien smell? did the alien jumped out and said "hello, gorgeous!"

ENV coming, dont play play or else they play summon with you, LOL