Comparison btw the IKS and Aquatronica system

arcanehacker

• SRC Member

anyone can give their comments on the 2 systems? Or even just one of them which you have or are using?

- I know the IKS seems to take up more space for their main computer. It seems like it needs an additional $$$ display if you want to hide the main computer. The Aquatronica one surely do not need it as the main computer already looks good.

- IKS is able to measure negative values for DeNitrate purposes. Aquatronica ORP probe cannot. Doubt its software based. Must be probe dependent and would probably need newer version probe/interface.

One thing I'm not sure is how many probes can these systems connect?

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Hi,

Not sure whether its useful to you but you may want to gather you information from the below website:

www.aquariumcontrollers.com

HTH

;)

anyone can give their comments on the 2 systems? Or even just one of them which you have or are using?

- I know the IKS seems to take up more space for their main computer. It seems like it needs an additional $$$ display if you want to hide the main computer. The Aquatronica one surely do not need it as the main computer already looks good.

- IKS is able to measure negative values for DeNitrate purposes. Aquatronica ORP probe cannot. Doubt its software based. Must be probe dependent and would probably need newer version probe/interface.

One thing I'm not sure is how many probes can these systems connect?

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Hi,

Not sure whether its useful to you but you may want to gather you information from the below website:

www.aquariumcontrollers.com

HTH

;)

Amazing. A forum dedicated for marine controllers.. Thanks. Taking a look now but the excel file seems bit outdated.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

IKS has been around for a long time. Yes, they are slow in churning out new stuff but just imagine their sms module has been ard for ages.

And if you are keen on controlling variable voltage (1-10V) devices, between the 2, you've got only IKS as the option.

With IKS and Simmod, you can throw the tunze multicontrollers aside and independently control up to 4 controllable tunze streams or dimmable lights.

However AQ is new and slick looking. Their devices interface is certainly nicer looking and easier to hide ard. It depends on whether you are comfortable with AQ and depending all the communications via one USB port or more? Btw, RS232 communication is more reliable than USB but USB is more convenient

there are a couple of IKS users ard you can check with :P

• SRC Member
IKS has been around for a long time. Yes, they are slow in churning out new stuff but just imagine their sms module has been ard for ages.

And if you are keen on controlling variable voltage (1-10V) devices, between the 2, you've got only IKS as the option.

With IKS and Simmod, you can throw the tunze multicontrollers aside and independently control up to 4 controllable tunze streams or dimmable lights.

However AQ is new and slick looking. Their devices interface is certainly nicer looking and easier to hide ard. It depends on whether you are comfortable with AQ and depending all the communications via one USB port or more? Btw, RS232 communication is more reliable than USB but USB is more convenient

there are a couple of IKS users ard you can check with :P

Thanks thanks..

But again the looks is gonna play sorta a major part. For the IKS it seems I need the small external display which gonna cost another bomb..

I dun really need the controllable option for tunze wavemakers.. maybe just the dimmable option in the future.. or maybe even not??! :pinch:

My major use for the computer woould mainly be controllable option for the PH and ORP and all basic monitoring.

Dunnot about RS323 being more relaible just its surely a phasing out interface.. maybe not for the near future but it certainly is getting lesser and lesser..

• SRC Member

the reason i gotten the aquatronica is that the RS-232 interface for IKS seems a bit dated when everywhere you are getting USB interface.....IKS is also comparatively bulkier then aquatronica....

However, IKS has been around much longer with most bugs stored out (i did encountered problems that aquatronica can't seems to sort it out) AND the distributor here are quite well stock, giving you a fair chance of getting replacement parts easily....

• SRC Member
Thanks thanks..

But again the looks is gonna play sorta a major part. For the IKS it seems I need the small external display which gonna cost another bomb..

I dun really need the controllable option for tunze wavemakers.. maybe just the dimmable option in the future.. or maybe even not??! :pinch:

My major use for the computer woould mainly be controllable option for the PH and ORP and all basic monitoring.

Dunnot about RS323 being more relaible just its surely a phasing out interface.. maybe not for the near future but it certainly is getting lesser and lesser..

if you're only concerned abt PH, ORP and Conductivity, then AQ is definitely the choice.

for me, i cannot live without the option of controlling tunzes, wavebox and lights! i love currents and so do my animals!

guess it's really different strokes for different folks

• SRC Member
the reason i gotten the aquatronica is that the RS-232 interface for IKS seems a bit dated when everywhere you are getting USB interface.....IKS is also comparatively bulkier then aquatronica....

However, IKS has been around much longer with most bugs stored out (i did encountered problems that aquatronica can't seems to sort it out) AND the distributor here are quite well stock, giving you a fair chance of getting replacement parts easily....

bro, RS232 is rock solid! won't fail u one unlike USB! but updating firmware,etc won't take long so USB would be good too.

i agree that IKS is bulkier but strangly i have a fetish for gadgets so i love bigger stuff! haha.

however, i still think AQ will appeal cos of it's aesthetics and interfaces. both have pros and cons. just decided based on your requirement.

The major factor from me getting AQ is the price, almost half price of the IKS starter package. My tank is only a nano tank anyway :D

Secondly, the AQ display is big and clear compared to only 2 lines text only in IKS (I always thought IKS is cheaper until I ask the price :ooh: )

I converted my RS232 to USB using simple 15 bucks adapter from SL.

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

• SRC Member
The major factor from me getting AQ is the price, almost half price of the IKS starter package. My tank is only a nano tank anyway :D

Secondly, the AQ display is big and clear compared to only 2 lines text only in IKS (I always thought IKS is cheaper until I ask the price :ooh: )

I converted my RS232 to USB using simple 15 bucks adapter from SL.

yup. i agree AQ is cheaper and the display is more appealing.

RS232 to USB doesn't solve the USB instability issue but it's a non-issue for our type of usage! haha

• SRC Member

actually if you mean RS232 is rock stable because is a big piece of metal i agree....:D :D :D.....but in terms of data realibility, USB is much faster and more relaible....Harddisk and stuff can now connect to your PC via USB .....so definitely faster and reliable!

In fact most notebook does not even have RS232 interface anymore, and that goes to show how dated it is....

sorry for degrading to this type of RS232 vs USB talk....

• SRC Member
actually if you mean RS232 is rock stable because is a big piece of metal i agree....:D :D :D.....but in terms of data realibility, USB is much faster and more relaible....Harddisk and stuff can now connect to your PC via USB .....so definitely faster and reliable!

In fact most notebook does not even have RS232 interface anymore, and that goes to show how dated it is....

sorry for degrading to this type of RS232 vs USB talk....

Agreed.. I do not believe RS323 is more stable at all. But there is surely people who go for older technology and swear by it.. In fact in my line of work, I've seen more unsolved serial interface issues then USB.

Ok lets not talk about the interface now. This is about the monitor/controller system.

Actually the looks and the nice display of the aquatronica is gonna draw me closer to it. It also seems like people who get IKS are more into controlling wavemakers and dimmable lights.

• SRC Member
Agreed.. I do not believe RS323 is more stable at all. But there is surely people who go for older technology and swear by it.. In fact in my line of work, I've seen more unsolved serial interface issues then USB.

Ok lets not talk about the interface now. This is about the monitor/controller system.

Actually the looks and the nice display of the aquatronica is gonna draw me closer to it. It also seems like people who get IKS are more into controlling wavemakers and dimmable lights.

u said it right bro. IKS is currently good for controlling 1-10V devices.

just one last post abt RS232. go get your facts right all bros. go check with all control and instrumentation devices ard, they all use serial interface for a reason! i agree USB is faster and convenient. checksum bits flowing across at 400MB/s? questionable...

• SRC Member
just one last post abt RS232. go get your facts right all bros. go check with all control and instrumentation devices ard, they all use serial interface for a reason! i agree USB is faster and convenient. checksum bits flowing across at 400MB/s? questionable...

Yeah yeah yeah...you win....at the bit level RS232 is better then USB.....but a 0.03MB/s vs 12 mb/s rate???? USB can make 100 times more error count then RS232....the onboard chip is definately more then capable of making the necessary correction....

maybe if you are running your tank in a high interference environment, it makes more sense to have a interface like RS232??? but our tank???i think that is highly unlikely....

(PS: the argument is really about RS232 vs USB.....but not really about IKS and aquatronica, there are a whole lot of issues to consider other then just the interface.....:D )

• SRC Member
u said it right bro. IKS is currently good for controlling 1-10V devices.

ai yo.. still fighting over the interface?!.. as I've said.. what you mentioned is all on paper.. In my line of IT support, I've seen more unresolved issues with Serial then with USB.. nuf said.

• SRC Member

Some different between RS232 and USB as I known off

RS232 is widely used in industrial automation as it is very stable, once setup you will never go wrong as it has a pinpoint target device that you pointed to. Normal it used to control many device at the same time. All device can be differenate by com port. However, it does not support plug-n-play as what USB do hence make it no so user friendly. Once you change sometime and you forget about the asign com port or baud rate, you might had hard time to configure it.

USB a later technology of RS232, is widely used in PC industrial as well as home PC system. Most of the personal storage using USB as the standard to do data transfer as it support plug-n-play and is very user friendly for our everyday life. In term of stability, there is no different as compare to RS232, however USB might give you some problem when you using same device of the same make and model (eg 2 x ph prode, 2x temp prode at the same time). As USB do not had a fixed com port that point to the delegate device, once you startup and shutdown your PC or plug in and out of the USB port, it might accidentlly point to the wrong device.

But with our aquarium controller, I dont think RS232 and USB make the different, as long as it can work on your system and you think you are more comfort with that standard, just go for it.

• SRC Member

btw, i prefer USB then RS232 after all this talk :P

i have an IKS now and also using RS232<->USB convertor. The point is USB is more convenient, not better! period!

to be honest, i've considered AQ to replace my IKS too until I got my new toys! :P

btw, i prefer USB then RS232 after all this talk :P

i have an IKS now and also using RS232<->USB convertor. The point is USB is more convenient, not better! period!

to be honest, i've considered AQ to replace my IKS too until I got my new toys! :P

The computer interface for AQ is using RS232 so need to use back your old adapter. AQ is funny all the interface from power bar is using USB only to computer using ancient method RS232. The USB computer interface is not out yet.

Did you get indication when you will get you AQ set? I am still waiting for my ORP interface in vain maybe until 3rd week of Jan'08

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

• SRC Member

yeah....truthfully aquatronica is kind of slow in the add ons department.....i gotten it because its cheaper and i did not have intention to go for the other bell and whistle that IKS offers......unfortunately, have to wait till Jan for a replacement temp probe....:(....lucky i still have my old temp controller to use with the chiller if not.....:mad:

• SRC Member
i was totally turned off when i found out the dimmable module for lights or/and controllable streams will only come out end '08! wtf man!

maybe AQ is just one tech dude with 5 marketing dudes whereas IKS is the opposite! haha.

more like 5 tech dude and 1 marketing dude....they don't seems to know what the market needs.....:D :D :D

for me the dimmable module sounds attractive, but the fact is that dimmable lights are so much more expensive then their non-dimmable version.....also my tunzes is alreadt connected to my multi-controller....that's why feature like that kind of useless to me.....so decided to save a little more $$$ and spend them on fish instead....

• SRC Member
more like 5 tech dude and 1 marketing dude....they don't seems to know what the market needs.....:D :D :D

for me the dimmable module sounds attractive, but the fact is that dimmable lights are so much more expensive then their non-dimmable version.....also my tunzes is alreadt connected to my multi-controller....that's why feature like that kind of useless to me.....so decided to save a little more $$$ and spend them on fish instead....

actually they do know what the market wants but can't get it done bro! IKS are the ones who doesn't give a sh*t what the market wants cos they kind of done it already!

u shd try to put those pumps and lightings on the computer and you get a whole lot of ultimate possibilities like proper sunrise/sunset, 'storm', 'surge', etc...

:P

Interesting read... I will try not to get involved as the talk has somehow been distorted from the original course :unsure:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Interesting read... I will try not to get involved as the talk has somehow been distorted from the original course :unsure:

ya lor.. I just want to know of comments so I can base my purchase. Somehow this become the USB vs RS323 and some marketing vs tech talk <_<

• SRC Member

bro, USB vs RS232 is a little irrelevant talk I agree cos even if AQ uses the USB bus, it's too little data to screw up so it's safe! U can get both USB/RS232 from both controllers to talk to your PC :P

simply put. do u need to control devices like dimmable lights, leds, dc-motors or tunze controllable pumps? if yes, the choice is clear!

if not, i'd go for AQ for the looks and the price! can't believe a blardy IKS PH module costs that much!