130x80x80cm

Hi Everyone

I am setting up a 130x80x80cm tank using low iron glass. I am unsure if I will go with standard or eurobracing. What thickness of glass would be safe for this size tank.

A friend said 15mm glass with full standard bracing on the top and base of the tank be strong enoungh.

He recommended 19mm glass if I want to use eurobracing.

I'd appreciate any input you can give.

Brett

• SRC Member
Hi Everyone

I am setting up a 130x80x80cm tank using low iron glass. I am unsure if I will go with standard or eurobracing. What thickness of glass would be safe for this size tank.

A friend said 15mm glass with full standard bracing on the top and base of the tank be strong enoungh.

He recommended 19mm glass if I want to use eurobracing.

I'd appreciate any input you can give.

Brett

go with full euro bracing top to bottom with 45 degree glass or similar reinforced at each corners. personally i feel top to bottom bracing is a must and for ur case i will go for only 12mm glass. normally a tank leak is not because the glass crack/break but its the corners that caused most of the problems. so bracing is very and extremely important. of course thicker is better with higher safety factor but the price is alot higher, now i really mean alot, with just only a few mm difference. if im not wrong, the price of a 15 mm is twice of a 12mm. most of the guys/ladies here with a tank about ur size is only using 12 mm. furthermore u are using low iron glass, that will, if im not wrong again, cost even more. if i were u, i must as well get 12 mm glass and use the cash for better equipments or get better or extra silicon for the joint works. and last but not least, get a reputable tank maker to get ur job done.

hope u find my input useful

reef on mate! happy lunar new year too! :lol:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• 3 weeks later...

I am just curious. How much would you pay in Singapore for a tank 130cm x 75cm x 75cm in 19mm normal float glass with overflow.. I have decided to go with that size tank. I am just curious what you would pay though in SG.

I have been quoted 45,000 Baht here in Bangkok by several tank makers :pirate: - about 2000 Singapore dollars. I think its a bit of a rip off as I checked the price of Diamant glass and even if I supplied all the glass for the whole tank in Diamant, it would only cost 1363 Singapore dollars for the glass. Given that normal float is not going to be near as expensive as Diamant, I think it is a bit rich. 3 years ago I had a 120cm x 60 x 60 tank made in 12mm glass for 396 Singapore Dollars.

I might have to make it myself :eyebrow:

:whistle ######

Brett

• SRC Member
I am not taking any risk. I will use 15mm glass at the minimum. I am only using it at the front and sides and I have a good price here.

i'm having 12mm for my 6.3'x3'x2.5'... it is holding just fine. However, i hv full eurobrace for top and bottom of the tank. For ur size, 12mm is fine. My previous tank of 4x2.5x2.5 is also using 12mm and without any eurobrace too...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.