Sm info on my tank:

- 6 x 2 x 2.5(PARTITION REEF TANK w FULL HEIGHT CABINET) + 4fts sump

- 4 x 80w ati lights

- 7k aquabee return pump

-twin fr

-api702

-mangrove in sump

-1/3hp artica chiller(27'c)

Due to space contrain tank maker placed chiller beside tank inside hse. I noticed chiller kicks in quite often(can be due to the full height cabinet that leads to higher temp)

Q: CAN 1/3HP ARTICA CHILLER ACTUALLY SUBSTAIN MY TANK SIZE??

Q: FOR LONG RUN WILL IT SHORTEN THE LIFE SPAN OF THIS CHILLER?

Q: HOW OFTEN DO I NEED TO SERVICE MY CHILLER?

Thx to all.

• SRC Member

just some information to share with u..:)

when buying chiller, alot of ppl will tends to go for cheaper brands from china becos of the price.

but if u know at the performance of the chiller from china.

u will see that most pumps and chillers from china requires more watts to run which means more money in long term.

that's why brands from german and other good brands are moe ex. becos they are cheaper in long term.

another thing to notice is the efficiency.

chiller's efficiency.

alot of pump and chiller from china or other cheap brands claim to have 1/2 or 1/3 horsepower.

but many don't know how true is that or in other words, how efficient is ur chiller.

1/2 but is that the average power or is that the max ?

how long can it function at that power if it's the average ?

and 1/2, will it function constantly or will it lower at times and increase at time ?

These are things many ppl don't notice but if you look around, china battery china fans china television.

The specs are the same as other competitors but there are too many uncertainties.

many times we buy cheap china batteries but when u use them, u know the differences. haha :D

the artica chiller is a very good brand chiller compare to the rest.

The question now is running at a constant and efficient rate compare to other chillers.

is it enough for MAG's tank ?

If compare to china brand, u will certainly require a higher power becos of the performance.

Hope those artica users can share their experience with us. and how big their tank is.

as for servicing, it's normally annually if nothing is wrong. it's depends on ur own chiller. if u didn't notice any changes in efficiency, dun think you will need to worry much.

for gas top-up, what i heard from other reefers is that you need to top-up if there is a leak.

else wun have to.

still learning from everyone. these are just some of my own observations.

Share it with everyone so that i can learn more from u guys and at the same time benefit others.

so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. :D

Cheers. :D

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

• SRC Member

I would say 1/3 HP for your 6 footer is rather underpower.... not to mention that you have another 4 footer sump. no matter how efficient is your chiller, you chiller need to work very hard reduce the temp. As for your question:

1) yes if your desired temp is not too low, if only to lower the water temp by 2 to 3 deg cel, should be okie.

2) Yes, it will, more wear n tear when you streesed ur chiller more.

3) Cant answer that....

If you wan ur chiller to be more efficient, placed it at a location which have more air circulation.... Add a fan to reduce the stress of your chiller but bear in mind that the water evaporation could be quite horrible for such huge setup...

Hope it helps.

Good Day to all:

Sm info on my tank:

- 4 x 80w ati lights

- 7k aquabee return pump

-twin fr

-api702

-mangrove in sump

Due to space contrain tank maker placed chiller beside tank inside hse. I noticed chiller kicks in quite often(can be due to the full height cabinet that leads to higher temp)

Thx to all.

Uses Artica website to judge your requested chiller size for yr tank.

http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod_chiller_size.asp

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

Taken this from artica website, hope it helps.:

FACTORS THAT CAN AFFECT CHILLER PERFORMANCE:

Please keep in mind the factors below for optimum chiller performance:

- Ambient temperatures exceeding 95 degrees Fahrenheit

- Excessive heat load from equipment

- Placing chiller in a well-ventilated area

- Keeping Condenser Grill clean

- Providing minium flow requirements

Cheers.

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

• SRC Member

Tank estimated volume: 380l (max) 3ft x2.5x2.8 tank with 3 ft sump that is 1/3 lvl (same pump, same chiller location)

I set my new artica 1/4 chiller to kick in 28DC and cut off at 27DC

Hmm interestingly... was initially using a 1/2hp chiller (will not state brand cos might offend ppl).. set it to the same as above.. and it took 1.5-2hrs to chill down 1 DC and would kick in again 1.5hrs or earlier after a while (had it serviced regularly)...

After switching to artica... it take 30-40min to chill (somewat longer at nite) and wont kick in 2-2.5hrs (2hrs during lights on) later...

this is wat i gathered from observing it closely as its a new setup Not sure about the wattage either uses... but was really impressed after switching..

• SRC Member
Good Day to all:

Sm info on my tank:

- 4 x 80w ati lights

- 7k aquabee return pump

-twin fr

-api702

-mangrove in sump

Thx to all.

• SRC Member
just some information to share with u..:)

when buying chiller, alot of ppl will tends to go for cheaper brands from china becos of the price.

but if u know at the performance of the chiller from china.

u will see that most pumps and chillers from china requires more watts to run which means more money in long term.

that's why brands from german and other good brands are moe ex. becos they are cheaper in long term.

another thing to notice is the efficiency.

chiller's efficiency.

alot of pump and chiller from china or other cheap brands claim to have 1/2 or 1/3 horsepower.

but many don't know how true is that or in other words, how efficient is ur chiller.

1/2 but is that the average power or is that the max ?

how long can it function at that power if it's the average ?

and 1/2, will it function constantly or will it lower at times and increase at time ?

These are things many ppl don't notice but if you look around, china battery china fans china television.

The specs are the same as other competitors but there are too many uncertainties.

many times we buy cheap china batteries but when u use them, u know the differences. haha :D

the artica chiller is a very good brand chiller compare to the rest.

The question now is running at a constant and efficient rate compare to other chillers.

is it enough for MAG's tank ?

If compare to china brand, u will certainly require a higher power becos of the performance.

Hope those artica users can share their experience with us. and how big their tank is.

as for servicing, it's normally annually if nothing is wrong. it's depends on ur own chiller. if u didn't notice any changes in efficiency, dun think you will need to worry much.

for gas top-up, what i heard from other reefers is that you need to top-up if there is a leak.

else wun have to.

still learning from everyone. these are just some of my own observations.

Share it with everyone so that i can learn more from u guys and at the same time benefit others.

so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. :D

Cheers. :D

Thx for the info bro. well i used to use alot of china product for my 1st tank and im very very sceptical for stuff frim there nowadays.

Thats why i opt for artica which i heard very reliable + not much noise(veyr important for me due to the location i placed it). I understand that 1/3hp is the most powerful for hse unit. Hope im not wrong in this.

• SRC Member
I would say 1/3 HP for your 6 footer is rather underpower.... not to mention that you have another 4 footer sump. no matter how efficient is your chiller, you chiller need to work very hard reduce the temp. As for your question:

1) yes if your desired temp is not too low, if only to lower the water temp by 2 to 3 deg cel, should be okie.

2) Yes, it will, more wear n tear when you streesed ur chiller more.

3) Cant answer that....

If you wan ur chiller to be more efficient, placed it at a location which have more air circulation.... Add a fan to reduce the stress of your chiller but bear in mind that the water evaporation could be quite horrible for such huge setup...

Hope it helps.

Thx for the info bro.

• SRC Member
Tank estimated volume: 380l (max) 3ft x2.5x2.8 tank with 3 ft sump that is 1/3 lvl (same pump, same chiller location)

I set my new artica 1/4 chiller to kick in 28DC and cut off at 27DC

Hmm interestingly... was initially using a 1/2hp chiller (will not state brand cos might offend ppl).. set it to the same as above.. and it took 1.5-2hrs to chill down 1 DC and would kick in again 1.5hrs or earlier after a while (had it serviced regularly)...

After switching to artica... it take 30-40min to chill (somewat longer at nite) and wont kick in 2-2.5hrs (2hrs during lights on) later...

this is wat i gathered from observing it closely as its a new setup Not sure about the wattage either uses... but was really impressed after switching..

hi soup. so u mean it will tk 2-2.5hrs each for chiller to kick in?eg 3pm kicks in and next round will ve aro 5-5.30pm than kick in again?sorry im abit blur.

my 1/3artica kicks in quite often but never really time it. maybe its due to my full height cabinet for the tank and since evrythi enclose temp tends to raise faster. good thing is evaporation rate pretty slow.so i dont usually worry2much abo topping up h20.

How long already u hv being using the artica?

• SRC Member

Hi ok i guess i wasnt clear... (pump used and location for chiller is exactly same)

previously (1/2 HP chiller):

takes 1.5hrs at least to chill 1 dc

kicks in about 1.5hrs later -.-

now (1/3 artica)

takes 40mins max to chill down 1dc

kicks in not at least 2 hrs later

:)

• SRC Member
Hi ok i guess i wasnt clear... (pump used and location for chiller is exactly same)

previously (1/2 HP chiller):

takes 1.5hrs at least to chill 1 dc

kicks in about 1.5hrs later -.-

now (1/3 artica)

takes 40mins max to chill down 1dc

kicks in not at least 2 hrs later

:)

hi soup. wow that means every hr your artica will kick in if temp drop below your presetted. so is there a big jump in your pub bill?

im not usi mh light and imagine if use that sure will kick in more often rite.

hv we met b4?your name sounded very familiar?

Thx james for the info. are u using this chiller too?

yes..I have been using Arctica 1/4 Hp, DBE-200 for 3.5ft tank for 2 yrs before decom. Currently I'm using Arctica DBA-075, 1/10hp for my 2ft Redseamax tank. Thumb up for Arctica...low noise, lower power consumption, reliable and very efficiency compare to china brand that I have used b4 (Resun CL450 N CL650).

No regret till now :eyebrow: !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe