Pygmy Angel die

Foxtrot

Hi

I have a 3 ft mature Fowlr tank with Fluidised Reactor with RowaPhos and Sulphur Denitrator. I also put about 1 tablespoon of carbon in the filter bag in the sump tank. I also have 2 wavemakers to circulate the water. I am keeping Queen Angel, Emperor Angel, Powder Blue Tang, Blue Face Angel, Blue Tang, Yellow Tang for many months. I do not have any chiller and my Water parameters are

PH 8.0

KH 10.4

Ammonia 0

Nitrie 0

Nitrate 2

The fishes are eating healthy and happily but whenever I put in a pygmy angel like Coral Beauty or Flame Angel or Clown Tang in the quarantine container into the main tank, the fish will die within the next few days. The quarantine container have many holes and hence I believe the water circulation in it is ok. These fishes are all eating at the LFS and I believe the fishes are Ok at the LFS because other fishes I bought from the LFS are OK. Only pygmy angel and Clown Tang do not survive many days.

Hi

I have a 3 ft mature Fowlr tank with Fluidised Reactor with RowaPhos and Sulphur Denitrator. I also put about 1 tablespoon of carbon in the filter bag in the sump tank. I also have 2 wavemakers to circulate the water. I am keeping Queen Angel, Emperor Angel, Powder Blue Tang, Blue Face Angel, Blue Tang, Yellow Tang for many months. I do not have any chiller and my Water parameters are

PH 8.0

KH 10.4

Ammonia 0

Nitrie 0

Nitrate 2

The fishes are eating healthy and happily but whenever I put in a pygmy angel like Coral Beauty or Flame Angel or Clown Tang in the quarantine container into the main tank, the fish will die within the next few days. The quarantine container have many holes and hence I believe the water circulation in it is ok. These fishes are all eating at the LFS and I believe the fishes are Ok at the LFS because other fishes I bought from the LFS are OK. Only pygmy angel and Clown Tang do not survive many days.

What you mean is that you place a small quarantine container at the top (close to water surface) of your main tank? If you are doing this its because you are afraid the new fish being bullied or? Tang cannot be kept in a small quarantine container. I don't think it is advisable to place them in a small container. If you want to quarantine them, you should place them in a quarantine tank. Or you can get a bigger quarantine container.

What you mean is that you place a small quarantine container at the top (close to water surface) of your main tank? If you are doing this its because you are afraid the new fish being bullied or? Tang cannot be kept in a small quarantine container. I don't think it is advisable to place them in a small container. If you want to quarantine them, you should place them in a quarantine tank. Or you can get a bigger quarantine container.

I am placing the new fish into those container specially to quarantine fish. The size is about 20cm in length with many holes for water circulation. The water from main tank should be able to circulate in. I do not understand why the rest of the fishes is OK but pgymy angels is so sensitive and die so quickly.

• SRC Member

dwarf angle are more delicate than the usual.... your act of quarantine stress them further... Also, if your tank is full of fish already, new comer tend to get bully and do not get their fair shares of food.... if you really like dwarf angle, your chances is higher when bought from reefer who kept it for sometime and maybe couple with the mirror trick to fool the rest of the fish in your tank.....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
Hi

u mention putting mirror, will the existing fishes lose interest in the mirror trick after some time and continue to harass the new comer ?

It will take away some attention to give the newcomer some space... yes, they will lose interest after sometime but by then the newcomer should have get used to your tank and survival rate should be higher as long as its get his shares of food during feeding.... BTW, u have quite a bit of big size fish in your tank already.... are your tank capable of so many fish in just a 3ft?

It will take away some attention to give the newcomer some space... yes, they will lose interest after sometime but by then the newcomer should have get used to your tank and survival rate should be higher as long as its get his shares of food during feeding.... BTW, u have quite a bit of big size fish in your tank already.... are your tank capable of so many fish in just a 3ft?

All my fishes are still juvenile, so far still ok.

• SRC Member

My sincere advise is not too add anymore fish 'cos marine fish unlike the freshwater, each need some private space [each have their hiding spot] .... U can add more and probably still okay in short term but sooner or later u realise that u can't add more 'cos the newcomer can't survive... which is the situation u face. Your tank probably can take in one or two more dwarf angle, but your sequence of adding the fish is not the "wise one" and hence facing the situation sooner than expected. The thumb of rule is to add the smaller fish first like the dwarf angel in your case and then the bigger brother, angel and tangs.

My sincere advise is not too add anymore fish 'cos marine fish unlike the freshwater, each need some private space [each have their hiding spot] .... U can add more and probably still okay in short term but sooner or later u realise that u can't add more 'cos the newcomer can't survive... which is the situation u face. Your tank probably can take in one or two more dwarf angle, but your sequence of adding the fish is not the "wise one" and hence facing the situation sooner than expected. The thumb of rule is to add the smaller fish first like the dwarf angel in your case and then the bigger brother, angel and tangs.

Noted. Thanks.