Rising Nitrate Level

Need some help/advice for the rising nitrate level in my tank. Just did a nitrate test about half a week ago and it was alarmingly high... about 30+ ppm. Did a 20% water change immediately, and the nitrate level has gone down slightly, to about 25ppm, but still not low enough.

Am currently running a tank system with physical filtration (with filter wool), deltec skimmer, live rocks and chaetos. Tank itself has SSB, though I was advised that SSB does not provide much biological filtration. My tank is currently lightly stocked: 4 ft tank with only 8 small fishes, a few invertebrates, but sometimes i tend to overfeed a bit due to ever-hungry blue tang and clownfishes.

To temporarily, I will be doing more water change (20% each time) this week. However, still need advice from other reefers on any suggestion to help curb the rising nitrate level in the tank. Would "trimming" my chaetoes help to encourage nutrients removal from the water (basket of chaetos is pretty full right now)?.

Need some help/advice for the rising nitrate level in my tank. Just did a nitrate test about half a week ago and it was alarmingly high... about 30+ ppm. Did a 20% water change immediately, and the nitrate level has gone down slightly, to about 25ppm, but still not low enough.

Am currently running a tank system with physical filtration (with filter wool), deltec skimmer, live rocks and chaetos. Tank itself has SSB, though I was advised that SSB does not provide much biological filtration. My tank is currently lightly stocked: 4 ft tank with only 8 small fishes, a few invertebrates, but sometimes i tend to overfeed a bit due to ever-hungry blue tang and clownfishes.

To temporarily, I will be doing more water change (20% each time) this week. However, still need advice from other reefers on any suggestion to help curb the rising nitrate level in the tank. Would "trimming" my chaetoes help to encourage nutrients removal from the water (basket of chaetos is pretty full right now)?.

Bro,

The most effective way to reduce your nitrate is to control your feeding. Understand that seeing your fishes feast is a pleasure but that can lead to many undesireable situations such as rising Nitrate causes unwanted Algae growth or worse killing your LS as a result.

If you really cannot resist feeding then your only bet is have a good Denitrator and regular water change. As you have stated you are already changing 20% water weekly and that didnt really help. So if you continue your feeding style then a Denitrator is almost a must.