Ways to reduce Detritus in Sump Tank

I have a pile of Live Rocks in my sump for biological filtration, but I am worried about the accumulation of detritus within the pile of live rocks, (since flow rate inside my sump tank wont be too high). Is there any cleaner crew that I can put inside my sump tank to help get rid of accumulated detritus, such as cleaner shrimp etc? I'm not too sure what organisms will be suitable for use. For now, I just have a bicolour dottyback inside the sump (since it got unfriendly with other tank occupants), hopefully he'll help to eat the worms etc among the live rocks.

couple of snails, crab, worms should help with clearing up of detritus. Best method is to suck it up yourslef during water change. Sump is not a place for fish lah <_< suggest you give it up :thanks:

ok thanks bro... bit hard to suck up everything, unless i take out the live rocks everytime i do a water change, which is not something i wanna do since it stirs up the dirt and clouds the water... added a brittle star today, see whether it can help clean up the sump.

oh and the dottyback seems to be doing well so far, feasting on the pods dropping out from my chaetos basket as well as occasional pellets feeding. Will observe him for a while before deciding what to do with it.

Just a side note, will Banded Serpent Stars prey on shrimps and fishes?

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
ok thanks bro... bit hard to suck up everything, unless i take out the live rocks everytime i do a water change, which is not something i wanna do since it stirs up the dirt and clouds the water... added a brittle star today, see whether it can help clean up the sump.

oh and the dottyback seems to be doing well so far, feasting on the pods dropping out from my chaetos basket as well as occasional pellets feeding. Will observe him for a while before deciding what to do with it.

Just a side note, will Banded Serpent Stars prey on shrimps and fishes?

bro, as for me. i buy those fresh water battery operated pipe pumpm with the on/off push button on top. slim and can fit a hose to the end for flexibility. work very well for me with out strr the rocks ..

just my two cent.

btw cost abt $12 only

---2Ft Cube by MarineLife---2008-2009

http://w w w.absolutereef . com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12369

Skimmer: Deltec APF600 feeder by Eheim 1250

Lighting: Solite 150MH 14k

Supplement: Giesemann T5 Razor, Actinic Plus ~22k

Top-up: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Return: Eheim 1260

Reactor: Skimz FR Rowaphos

---------------------------------------------------------

---1.5Ft Cube by Iwarna---2010- ???