diving local water?

markietan

• SRC Member

last week my friend planned a dive trip to Hantu and I tagged along... and I actually quite enjoyed the dive there!

as expected, the water vis was at best 5m... due to all the boats and land reclaimation going on, but underwater there are actually lots of coral and marine life. most of the happening stuff is at 5-8m..

for lps, i saw the usual hammers, bubbles and lots of favias

sps, there are huge pieces of montis everywhere! all sorts of colors too. purple, brown, orange and some wierd ones that i haven't seen before. not many stags or other branching ones... because i believe they can't get enough lighting.

fishes u get the usual damsels, clownfish, file fish, butterfly and singapore angel!

the highlights were nudibranchs, which were everywhere and were very unique. There was also the pipe fish and seahorses... and a turtle which surfaced a few times before we started our second dive.

all in all, i would say that it was quite enjoyable for all who went on the trip. But it's probably not a good place for training since all the marine life there are quite fragile (being under constant strugle for survival) and the vis might freak out some first time divers....

anyone dived in singapore water before? pls share your experience!

=)

• SRC Member
last week my friend planned a dive trip to Hantu and I tagged along... and I actually quite enjoyed the dive there!

as expected, the water vis was at best 5m... due to all the boats and land reclaimation going on, but underwater there are actually lots of coral and marine life. most of the happening stuff is at 5-8m..

sps, there are huge pieces of montis everywhere! all sorts of colors too. purple, brown, orange and some wierd ones that i haven't seen before. not many stags or other branching ones... because i believe they can't get enough lighting.

fishes u get the usual damsels, clownfish, file fish, butterfly and singapore angel!

the highlights were nudibranchs, which were everywhere and were very unique. There was also the pipe fish and seahorses... and a turtle which surfaced a few times before we started our second dive.

all in all, i would say that it was quite enjoyable for all who went on the trip. But it's probably not a good place for training since all the marine life there are quite fragile (being under constant strugle for survival) and the vis might freak out some first time divers....

=)

u are lucky to get 5m viz... most of the time, i cant even see my fins or beyond the reach of my arms

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
u are lucky to get 5m viz... most of the time, i cant even see my fins or beyond the reach of my arms

wow.. that's bad. heh

maybe recently less land refilling at that area so not so bad?

anyway here are some pics

http://scubuddies.com/photos/photos_display.aspx?albumid=197

• 11 months later...

=)

Dived at hantu in 1m viz and it was bad! BUT, there are thousands of flowerpot corals, some sun corals, singapore angels, pipefishes, seahorses and sea kraits and turtles down there! Impressive but not unless u go close enough

I have dive in local waters many times and always enjoy diving there.

Beside the bad visibility, one can enjoy the wild life in it. There're a lot of nudibranch, and other crustacean and you'll be surprise to find them in such water condition.

My favourite local diving site will be at Pulau Salu very nice reef but the current there can be very very strong.

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member
I have dive in local waters many times and always enjoy diving there.

Beside the bad visibility, one can enjoy the wild life in it. There're a lot of nudibranch, and other crustacean and you'll be surprise to find them in such water condition.

My favourite local diving site will be at Pulau Salu very nice reef but the current there can be very very strong.

mm.. where is pulau salu and do u have to charter your own boat to get there?