Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

Hi SM

Was inspired by the scrubber box so decided to throw out the old one and did a new and improved scrubber.

Used a fresh water overflow filter box as my new scrubber, stacked three filter box together and cut a rectangular opening

The tray came in handy as it acts as a support for the scrubber and also drains the water out the other end.

Changed the screen to a plastic canvas and made it as rough as i could, its fantastic when its super rough!

Alright now have to wait for results!

Hi SM

Was inspired by the scrubber box so decided to throw out the old one and did a new and improved scrubber.

Used a fresh water overflow filter box as my new scrubber, stacked three filter box together and cut a rectangular opening

The tray came in handy as it acts as a support for the scrubber and also drains the water out the other end.

Changed the screen to a plastic canvas and made it as rough as i could, its fantastic when its super rough!

Alright now have to wait for results!

wow bro... looks good man! think this is going to work for you!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

Some scrubber specs,

Lights 20W WW CFL x 1 18Hrs On 6 Hrs Off

Screen size 9"x 9"

(SM could you help me out, about half an inch of the screen from the start of the slot is not covered in the flow any solutions? Pics will be posted shortly)

Flow rate 800 L/hr

May source or construct a really budget 2 x 36W WW CFL fixture to be placed at the other side!

Thanks SM, after the first scrubber learnt 2 very important factors that plays a part in the success of reducing N03 and P04. Good flow and a good screen.

• SRC Member

800 lph = 210 gph = enough for a 6 inch wide screen. So maybe your flow is not enough. But, the flow will fill-in as the algae grows, so you can wait to see if it is OK. Otherwise, you can shorten the width to 6 inches.

800 lph = 210 gph = enough for a 6 inch wide screen. So maybe your flow is not enough. But, the flow will fill-in as the algae grows, so you can wait to see if it is OK. Otherwise, you can shorten the width to 6 inches.

Oh and for you guys who don't have a dremel tool you can use a carpentry lamintate trimmer to cut the slots. This is how it looks like

hi there i had a scrubber some how i dont think is very successful

last time mine is quite green as i didnt wash for 2 -3 month

then now is that after i wash it never become green

i wonder is my flow rate been reduce cause? but i didnt really reduce on it

normally after wash i manage to achieve brown within a week but it never become green

now it is some how looks like slime brown

following is picture

may i know how can i improve it.

distance from bulb is 10 CM from center screen

18 Walt Sprial , energy saving light

Flow rate with Eheim 1024 - (600L/H) but is also supply to me Dymax CR and Dymax Denitrator and FR so may be 400 L / H ?

Material is the Green Net Buy from C328

Width 1 FT

Height 1.2 FT

http://www.iace2.com/images/test/scrubber.JPG

You did not have a scrubber. You had a waste of energy for 3 months.

Also, flow is too low for a 12 inch wide screen. Should be 420 gph (1600 lph).

And your picture did not show.

ic ic ok.

ya operating hours is 8 hours for light

hmm i did not use white warm light, should i use white warm light see that more people use that.

or maybe i add one light a another side.

i going to increase water flow and i did achieve green algae 2 month ago but after cleanning some how i see water flow reduce hmmm i need to do somthing on it ready.

ic ic ok.

ya operating hours is 8 hours for light

hmm i did not use white warm light, should i use white warm light see that more people use that.

or maybe i add one light a another side.

i going to increase water flow and i did achieve green algae 2 month ago but after cleanning some how i see water flow reduce hmmm i need to do somthing on it ready.

Hi SM,

just to clarify,

cool white -4100k

bright day light - 6700k

warm white - 2700k

May i check which is more suitable?

• SRC Member
Hi SM,

just to clarify,

cool white -4100k

bright day light - 6700k

warm white - 2700k

May i check which is more suitable?

SM's FAQ in his signature. http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/viewto...hp?f=9&t=68

Scrubber Lighting:

Q: What kind of light do I need?

A: Experience has shown that at least a 23 Watt Compact Fluorescent (CFL) floodlight, of the 2700K or 3000K color, works best. One on each side of the screen, about 4" from the screen, and pointed at the middle of the screen. And note that 23W is "at least", unless it's for a nano. These CFL lights have also shown to only last about three months before their power drops off (even though they "look" fine). T5HO has also shown tremendous growth, although they are more difficult to design and build, however their even spread of light from side to side is superior to CFL bulbs. And recently, it has been found that there is an upper limit on CFL bulb size; CFL bulbs in the 50 watt range are at the top, whereas anything in the 60 watt range is too much. If you must use 60 watts or more, then use two smaller bulbs instead. The lighting just needs to be spread out more, and not concentrated so much on one spot. And whatever wattage you use, always get a "floodlight", which has the reflector built-in. If you already have bulbs and they are not floodlights, be sure to get "CFL reflectors" so you can point the light at the center of the screen, and not waste any.

Q: What's the best wattage/power bulb to use?

A: Generally, up to 50 watt CFL bulbs. The more powerful the light, the faster your nitrate, phosphate, and nuisance algae will be reduced, and the lower they will stay. The bare minimum for any setup is a 23W CFL Floodlight, 2700K or 3000K. A maximum might be a 55 watt bulb, but you can have multiple smaller bulbs, of course, in order to reach your recommended total wattage. The ultimate are TH5O bulbs, which spread the light out so that the most light-power can be placed near the algae, without "burning" it.

Q: What's the best bulb color/spectrum?

A: The best would seem to be the "plant grow" spectrum. These bulbs looks "pink", and don't seem bright at all. But 2700K and 3000K seem to grow even better.

Brother Leonard 2k

According to SM's guidelines it would be best to clean the scrubber every 7 days no matter there is algae growth or not! After each clean the algae growth is different, further more warm light shows the best result if you read earlier post.

Yes your flow rate is too low for such a large screen. Its either you down size your screen or increase the flow rate.

Lights should be running 18 hrs ON and 6 hrs OFF

To add on maybe the material for your screen is not such a good medium to grow algae.

Green net material is really hard to roughen as its got no thickness for it to be rough.

I have switched from those pvc mesh to a plastic canvas sheet that you can find at major cross stitch craft shops. Its easy to roughen and its now day 4 and i do see brown algae growth.

There is one cross stitch shop at AMK central next to Bee Cheng Hiang! Its only $3.50! The staff there would know what you're talking about when you mention plastic canvas!

Look for underwater's post on the material and you'll see what i mean.

Here are some pictures on my new improved scrubber!

Hope this helps

Hi guys it would be good if you guys read SM's signature. It will resolve a lot of your Q&A as the questions that are asked are all repetition. :rolleyes:

hmmm i manage to find plastic canvas

hmmm but i when to the hardware shop to get PVC pipe and ask the uncle to cut a slit in the PVC

they said they dont have such tools.

anyone know where can i go to cut a slit in the PVC pipe?

o my Flow rate was 1200 per hour, but i dont know why now it looks FR as if so 400 - 600 lph , i think going to do some cleaning. i think that why last time i can achieve green algae, coz that time i go do some calculation but some how forget until i reset the scrubber

• SRC Member

I emailed a few acrylic maker and one responded. I gave them SM pictures and drawings for quotation.

The price is pretty good (less than $100)if we can make 10 (box only). However, I am unable to start a bulk order as SRC requirements are at least 500 post.

Anyone interested to lead the BO?

PS: we need to identify the most economical lighting to fit in the box before deciding on the final size.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member
I emailed a few acrylic maker and one responded. I gave them SM pictures and drawings for quotation.

The price is pretty good (less than $100)if we can make 10 (box only). However, I am unable to start a bulk order as SRC requirements are at least 500 post.

Anyone interested to lead the BO?

PS: we need to identify the most economical lighting to fit in the box before deciding on the final size.

why do you need a box? i just diy myself with pvc pipes and arcylic , cost less than $50 including the light.

• SRC Member
why do you need a box? i just diy myself with pvc pipes and arcylic , cost less than $50 including the light.

1) Neater,

2) Nicer,

3) Safer,

4) More efficient

5) Looks good even if put on top of a non-sump tank.

:)

I only need someone above 500 post to help host the BO, whole transaction will be totally transparent to the BO parties. It would be best if we can get the lights and PVC parts together... (if anyone have any lobangs). Price of individual sale is about $200 which is why I am looking forward to a BO.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

Hi bro thank you for initiating e bulk order and going out to source for quotes. Maybe you wanna drop by irwana to see e ready made scrubber tt one of reefers made before. Not exactly like SM but it meets all your requirement you stated earlier. Plus its <$100.