Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

• SRC Member

Alright guys, this is a heads-up warning. clean your screens regularly. I let mine grew too thick, the bottom layer died and when i washed today, all the algae just fell out. my screen looks white as new. u wouldn't want that happening.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

Alright guys, this is a heads-up warning. clean your screens regularly. I let mine grew too thick, the bottom layer died and when i washed today, all the algae just fell out. my screen looks white as new. u wouldn't want that happening.

Hi John, thanks for the tip.

Just wondering if you do any measurements of before and after for PO4?

My tank's PO4 is quite high, and i can already see algae on the scrubber within the next day.

Btw: how often do you do the scrubber cleaning?

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC Member

Update of the Day: New Research on Skimmers and Organics:

The whole point of scrubbers is that they remove Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate, which are the things your test kits measure, and which are also the things that cause nuisance algae to grow. The other good point about scrubbers is that they leave Organics (food) in the water for the corals and fish and bacteria to eat (the bacteria also then become coral food.) People who prefer skimmers, however, say that skimmers removes Organics (food) before they break down into Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate.

I say, why not just feed less, instead of feeding more and then removing it with a skimmer? Let's look at it from their viewpoint. Their viewpoint is "Feed more, and remove the excess Organics (food) with the skimmer." Well, the current January 2009 issue of Advanced Aquarist just published extensive research into how well different skimmers remove Organics. They refer to Organics as "TOC", which is the Total Organic Carbon; TOC is the the combination of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC), and Particulate Organic Carbon (POC). Here is the article, and this is what it said:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2

"In addition to some dissolved organics, small particulates and microbes (bacterioplankton, phytoplankton) can be removed at the air/water interface of the [skimmer] bubble as well (Suzuki, 2008). The skimming process does not remove atoms/molecules that are strictly polar and readily dissolve in water, such as some organics, salts, inorganic phosphate, carbonate, etc.

"The skimmer pulls out all of the TOC that it is going to remove by the 50-minute mark. Beyond that time point, nothing much is happening, and the TOC level doesn't change much.

"Thus, all skimmers tested remove around 20 - 30% of the TOC in the aquarium water, and that's it; 70 - 80% of the measurable TOC is left behind unperturbed by the skimming process. It may be possible to develop a rationalization for this unexpected behavior by referring back to Fig. 1. Perhaps only 20 - 30% of the organic species in the aquarium water meet the hydrophobic requirements for bubble capture, whereas the remaining 70-80%, for whatever reason, don't."

So, the strength of skimmers (since they don't remove Inorganics) is supposed to be that they remove Organics before they break down. But this research shows (once again) that they don't even remove the Organics. Here is additional 2008 reasearch that shows the same:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/8/aafeature3

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/9/aafeature2

• SRC Member

Unfortunately I've been really sluggish about my tests. Will purchase the test kits after CNY.

Right now how i judge is diatom and nuisance algae growth in the display tank. so long as its kept under control, all is well =)

NO3 is still 12.5

Initially I plan to clean them every week but I got lazy (bad mistake), left them for 3 weeks? Since I have 2 screens, what i plan to do is clean them on weekly basis but stagger the cleaning, week 1 clean screen 1, week 2 clean screen 2, week 3 clean screen 1 again ... ... ...

I used to use a comb to just comb in the direction of the algae growth, it will just rip off alot of algae but now i just put the screen against a wall, use a hose, squeeze the end and jet water at it. what comes off is excess, what doesn't I will just leave it there.

Hi John, thanks for the tip.

Just wondering if you do any measurements of before and after for PO4?

My tank's PO4 is quite high, and i can already see algae on the scrubber within the next day.

Btw: how often do you do the scrubber cleaning?

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

it me again SM what do u need to know bout my tank anyway i discover that these white spot in my tank and the half black angel just die without any white spot???? unknown reason....

i've just wash up my tank and change all of the water so call new setup tank now :ph34r::cry2::cry2::cry2:

So now what next step i should do now

Hi SM I'm using a 67 gallon = 200l tank 3''x2''x2'' as for the sump tank is 10 gallon bout 45l as for the LR is 15kg

fishes that i have is as below

5 green cromis

2 clack clown

1 royal dotty back

1 mandrin

2 doctor fish

5 hermit crab

3 doctor srimp

2 turbo snail

as for the coral are

2 animonie purple tip

1 carbage pink

1 mushroom green

1 yellow leather

3 unknown to me but all are LSP (soft coral)

currently all out of my maini tank as i mention in the earlier post that i've done a complete cleaning as i've fisher like emp. angel, bi-colour angel, half black angle, 1x green cromis, 1 brown tang, pearlscale butterfly die in different days and brought not in the same time as a few have white spot it's quite common as due to stress with my tank not season yet just a month old

so now have to start all over again

Tks SM keep the bio-balls then how bout the bio-rings then and i don't really know what's An ultraviolet sterilizer as i'm new to marine pls advice or any other specific name like what kind of use and brand that is common to find in the market

• SRC Member

another way is to soak ur fish food in garlic juice b4 feeding.

ick is always present in our fish tank water just whether they start to infect your fishes or not. is like we need to build up their immunity. also certain fishes get ick easily eg. some tangs

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

another thing. ur tank is only a month old and u are pretty stocked up... i wonder if its due to the tank being not fully cycled yet...

go slow bro... and also the anemones, they are not easy to keep so if u wan to protect the fishes and corals dont go buying them so fast plus it will protect your wallet as well...

u have a skimmer now? a 3x2x2 aint a small tank u need to make sure u got your equipment right... or at least a good scrubber :)

and what salt are u using...typically some pple they use some funny salt and kill their live stock...

and lastly is your mandarin fish feeding? i love mandarin but they are picky eaters so bear in mind to make sure they are eating normal food b4 buying them...

• SRC Member

hi guys, my update for the 6th day of my scrubber. i am also going to show morbid updates of my dying nasty red algae in my main tank as well on a daily basis. die algae, die! :ph34r:

i am getting brown stuff on the screen which is promising but as expected the area is not optimised as yet. i need to get that spreader up soon. anywho great start for my Chinese New Year, Gong Xi Fa Cai everyone!

post-154-1233155497.jpg

post-154-1233155522.jpg

Similar to Creetin... this is my update after 6 days of using scrubber.

Good news is that during these 6 days, I'd reduced the usage of my skimmer to only Night Operation (when weather is cooler water doesn't get heated up too fast). I also clean up my return pipe outlet (took the chance to remove ALL the hair algae).

Here're some shots of the scrubber - 6 days in operation...

Since 22 Jan 2330 hrs.

Date of pix take: 28 Jan 2330 hrs.

post-13920-1233163814.jpg

post-13920-1233163838.jpg

I'm yet to have the time to hunt for a new lighting (it's still shining from the top), but i think to get optimal effect like Creetin, should get a warmer lighting and something that can spread the light evenly.

Not sure if this is related, but i noticed my green and orange yumas are opening a lot bigger. There was a 'strange' zoa that came with the rock and it multiplied to 2. (will try to take a better pix tomorrow with MH lights).

Thanks again SM... to those in doubt... please try it. It's a simple process. The other advantages that i personally experienced!..

My skimmer pump is working 1/2 a day, as a result chiller kicks in lesser and chills faster. One 45min ON-TIME to every 4.5 hours OFF-TIME. (Prev: 55min ON-TIME to every 3.5hrs OFF-TIME). My chiller temp is set to kick in at 27.5 and cut off at 26.3 degrees C.

I will be doing my next set of water parameter test this coming weekend.

Stay tune!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Wilson the yumas are probably enjoying more food in the water, since the skimmer is removing less.

Steven, go into the sponsor forums (or your local store), and ask if they sell UV sterilizers.

Hi all Gong Xi Fa Cai got hong bao for me hee hee..... :eyebrow:

K back to the topic SM i just manage to buy an UV sterilizers at Aqua star brand jebo 9w S$40/= quite cheap i got it fixed up already it running 24/7 as directed by the shop as well tks for the info of all good stuff to have for the tank.. :thanks:

Hi Creetin

As u mention on the anemones what's wrong with that any advise on that tks as for the skimmer i've already off it not running in the tank now as i've re setup already all the live stock now currently inside an box hee hee

As for the salt i'm using is from ji--h reef brand that they're carrying is it that fine?? but i just brought tropical marine pro-reef from Aqu stars just to keep stock as may need to top up later part...

i really nvr release weather is my mandrine is eating or not but i'm feed them with forzen food with i brought from hendry it an wide rage meal quite well recommended i'll up load some pic soon on my tank and the scrubber result quite simmilar to yours too with some brown stuff on it, hope to have the green algae soon

As for tonighty i'll measure my parameters of the water and see weather in the next following week weather i can stk back the live stock back to the tank :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Similar to Creetin... this is my update after 6 days of using scrubber.

Good news is that during these 6 days, I'd reduced the usage of my skimmer to only Night Operation (when weather is cooler water doesn't get heated up too fast). I also clean up my return pipe outlet (took the chance to remove ALL the hair algae).

Here're some shots of the scrubber - 6 days in operation...

Since 22 Jan 2330 hrs.

Date of pix take: 28 Jan 2330 hrs.

post-13920-1233163814.jpg

post-13920-1233163838.jpg

I'm yet to have the time to hunt for a new lighting (it's still shining from the top), but i think to get optimal effect like Creetin, should get a warmer lighting and something that can spread the light evenly.

Not sure if this is related, but i noticed my green and orange yumas are opening a lot bigger. There was a 'strange' zoa that came with the rock and it multiplied to 2. (will try to take a better pix tomorrow with MH lights).

Thanks again SM... to those in doubt... please try it. It's a simple process. The other advantages that i personally experienced!..

My skimmer pump is working 1/2 a day, as a result chiller kicks in lesser and chills faster. One 45min ON-TIME to every 4.5 hours OFF-TIME. (Prev: 55min ON-TIME to every 3.5hrs OFF-TIME). My chiller temp is set to kick in at 27.5 and cut off at 26.3 degrees C.

I will be doing my next set of water parameter test this coming weekend.

Stay tune!

wow Wilson amazing your screen is quite well distributed with the algae unlike mine!

• SRC Member
Hi all Gong Xi Fa Cai got hong bao for me hee hee..... :eyebrow:

K back to the topic SM i just manage to buy an UV sterilizers at Aqua star brand jebo 9w S$40/= quite cheap i got it fixed up already it running 24/7 as directed by the shop as well tks for the info of all good stuff to have for the tank.. :thanks:

Hi Creetin

As u mention on the anemones what's wrong with that any advise on that tks as for the skimmer i've already off it not running in the tank now as i've re setup already all the live stock now currently inside an box hee hee

As for the salt i'm using is from ji--h reef brand that they're carrying is it that fine?? but i just brought tropical marine pro-reef from Aqu stars just to keep stock as may need to top up later part...

i really nvr release weather is my mandrine is eating or not but i'm feed them with forzen food with i brought from hendry it an wide rage meal quite well recommended i'll up load some pic soon on my tank and the scrubber result quite simmilar to yours too with some brown stuff on it, hope to have the green algae soon

As for tonighty i'll measure my parameters of the water and see weather in the next following week weather i can stk back the live stock back to the tank :rolleyes:

Hi Steven, from my limited knowledge anemones need strong lighting and/or feeding. they also move around alot so if u have other corals they might get burned by them. and if i am not wrong they need less flow than other creatures in the tank. i am not an expert on them but just hoping that you have the info and resources to keep them...

i am not sure about that brand of reef salt. yeah tropic marin is pretty good, i use coralife, and most major brands should do well. dont use red sea salt though, highly not recommended at least from what i read from reefer experiences

and the skimmer if u care to share i hope its good sized for the tank, not some undersized skimmer. else build a good giant scrubber :)

as for mandarin yeah how long u had it? i guess if your tank is big enough with enough pods you could get away with a mandarin but usually that is the case for only mature tanks... anyway if it doesnt get enough food it will starve and go to fish heaven... hope is feeding then. Happy reefing!

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

wow Wilson amazing your screen is quite well distributed with the algae unlike mine!

I'm actually not very proud to shout about the algae growth... coz typically, it should take around 7 days to see some decent algae growth. But mine shows within 5 days. I translate this to very high phosphate levels within my tank (which the tests shows so).

I guess it does help to use my external overflow, it kinda distributes the water flow very evenly.

have you thought of modifying part of a dust-pan to have a more even flow? I'm not sure that will help, but i thought it could solve your problem.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Hi all i just manage to buy two 2700k light bulb from hardware store

i've just fixed it up now i'm having currently my anemone is in a pail will be given someone to abdopt it sad sad both are purple tip the type that don't move around not even on the glass so it quite save for most as the coral and wave maker

Reason for giving it up as i suspect it stung my fishes as i discover my doctor fish and bi-colour angle is inside the mounth of it