MANCHESTER UNITED...the RED DEVILS march on !!!

kueytoc

• SRC Member

:pirate:Sir Alex: It'll be feisty :whistle

18/09/2009 10:08, Report by Ben Hibbs

Sir Alex Ferguson expects a “feisty†Manchester derby at Old Trafford on Sunday, but has warned that United cannot afford defeat.

The Reds boss, relaxed and in confident mood ahead of one of the most intriguing derbies in years, jokingly spoke of an intense focus on “a small game this Sundayâ€.

“I was asked the question whether this is the biggest Manchester derby of all time?†he said at Carrington on Friday. “It’s difficult to say, because if you go back to the sixties when City won the league and United won the European Cup, that must have been an incredible period in Manchester with two great teams.

“In recent years, City haven't achieved that success. Now they've bought all these players there's far greater expectation than they’ve had for a long time. So it'll be a real feisty game. We’re looking forward to it.â€

United’s only injury doubt is Rio Ferdinand, following trouble with a groin strain. City, on the other hand, have watched as injury and suspension eats into their admittedly near-limitless supply of strikers. Robinho is out with a stress fracture, Carlos Tevez is a doubt with an ankle injury, while in-form Emmanuel Adebayor starts a three-match suspension.

City are level on points with United with a game in hand, while Chelsea have taken maximum points to set the early pace. So neither side wants to let Carlo Ancelotti’s men march off into the distance. “City have started well and you’re better having a good start than not,†added Sir Alex. “In this league, you can’t afford to lose games. We’ve lost one already to Burnley and we can’t afford to lose many more. That’s the nature of our league.

“If you go back to when Chelsea won two titles in a row, they got off to fantastic starts straightaway. We were playing catch-up and had to do something about it. The following season we changed our training to ensure we got a good start. In my time we’ve always geared training to be good in the second half of the season. Today, I don’t think you're afforded that luxury.

“You see Chelsea’s start this year, with a new coach and new ambition – they’re top of the league on maximum points. You may think three points is nothing, but I think it is something. City are the same, they’ve won all their games. So it’s a really difficult league and we don’t want to be playing catch-up.â€

:35: New deal for delighted Park

18/09/2009 10:50, Report by Ben Hibbs

Ji-sung Park has expressed his delight at signing a new two-year contract that keeps him at Old Trafford until at least June 2012.

The 28-year-old midfielder joined United four years ago and has proved to be a huge asset to the Reds squad, racking up 127 appearances and scoring 12 goals.

"I am so pleased to have this new contract," Ji told ManUtd.com. "I'm really enjoying my time here and I appreciate all that Sir Alex and the staff have done for me, but I have to mention the fans too, as they are incredible.â€

"We have achieved great success over the last four years and won many trophies. It is a great experience for me to play at this magnificent football club along with other world famous players."

Sir Alex Ferguson says the deal is reward for Park's hard work and dedication to United over the last four years.

“We are always pleased to secure the future of our star players and Ji-Sung has proved himself to be a fantastic professional and an important, versatile player in our squad," he told us. "Therefore, we're delighted he's signed a new contract.â€

post-2609-1253360775_thumb.jpg

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

:eyebrow:Owen the late hero for United...Man United manager wants to cut out mistakes :peace:

AFP - Monday, September 21

LONDON (AFP) - – Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson wants his side to cut out the mistakes that played a key role in the champions' thrilling 4-3 derby victory over Manchester City.

United's jaw-dropping win on Sunday was sealed by Michael Owen's stoppage time goal and Ferguson immediately described it as one of the greatest derbies of all time, but the Scot was unhappy with the way his defence allowed City to come from behind three times.

"It spoiled a really emphatic victory because we could have won by six or seven and the fact that we made the mistakes probably made it the best derby game of all time," Ferguson said.

"Would we have rather won 6-0 or had the greatest derby game of all time? I'd rather have won 6-0."

United took the lead in the second minute when Patrice Evra poked a pass to Wayne Rooney, who took a touch before stabbing his shot past Shay Given.

But City striker Carlos Tevez, who received a predictably hostile reception from the Old Trafford crowd on his first return to United, had recovered from a knee injury in time to start and played a key role in his side's 16th minute equaliser.

He refused to give Ben Foster time to kick downfield and, as the United goalkeeper dithered, Tevez stole possession before slipping a pass for Gareth Barry to shoot into the empty net.

United regained the lead in the 49th minute when Darren Fletcher headed home a Ryan Giggs cross.

Their advantage was short-lived as Craig Bellamy curled in a stunning long-range effort three minutes later.

Fletcher struck again in the 80th minute with another header, this time from Giggs's free-kick.

City looked to have stolen a point when Bellamy out-paced Rio Ferdinand and squeezed in a 90th minute equaliser.

But Owen, on as a substitute, had the last word when he converted Giggs's pass in the sixth minute of stoppage time.

There was more derby drama in London as Chelsea extended their 100-percent start to the season with a controversial 3-0 victory over Tottenham, while Liverpool lie in third place after Fernando Torres scored twice in a hard-fought 3-2 win at West Ham.

At Stamford Bridge, Chelsea won their sixth consecutive league game under new boss Carlo Ancelotti but their derby triumph wasn't without controversy.

Leading 1-0 through Ashley Cole's 32nd minute goal, Chelsea were fortunate not to concede a penalty when Robbie Keane tumbled under Ricardo Carvalho's late challenge.

Chelsea took full advantage of that escape as Michael Ballack poked in Frank Lampard's pass in the 58th minute before Didier Drogba added a third goal five minutes later.

Liverpool were never behind at Upton Park but were pegged back twice by West Ham.

Alessandro Diamanti scoring a controversial penalty to cancel out Torres's solo opener and Carlton Cole nodding home after Dirk Kuyt had stabbed before Torres hit the winner.

Thomas Vermaelen repaid another chunk of the ten million pounds it cost to buy him from Ajax with Arsenal's first two goals, taking the centreback's tally for his new employers to four after only eight matches, in his side's 4-0 win over Wigan at the Emirates Stadium.

Aston Villa put the pre-match controversy over Nigel Reo-Coker's bust-up with manager Martin O'Neill to one side to claim a 2-0 win over Portsmouth, who became the first side to lose their first six matches since the launch of the Premier League in 1992-93.

Everton defeated Blackburn 3-0 at Goodison Park to claim just their second win in five league games.

Wolverhampton claimed their first home win of the season as Mick McCarthy's men beat Fulham 2-1.

David Nugent marked his home debut for Burnley with a double as the Clarets notched up their third straight win at home with a 3-1 defeat of Sunderland.

A late Matt Taylor penalty salvaged a point for Bolton after Dave Kitson had given Stoke the lead at the Reebok Stadium.

Birmingham took all three points from their visit to Hull thanks to Scotland striker Garry O'Connor's near-post header from a Keith Fahey corner.

post-2609-1253511614.jpg

• SRC Member

:evil::pirate::yeah:

Man United 4

Rooney (5), Fletcher (48, 80), Owen (95)

Man City 3

Barry (16), Bellamy (52, 90)

Old Trafford, 20 September 75,066

20/09/2009 14:25, Report by Ben Hibbs

United deservedly won this pulsating derby in the high drama of injury time, but only after fans' nerves had been shredded after let City back into the game three times. The Reds should have had it wrapped up, but with the scores locked at 3-3 after 90 minutes, Michael Owen chose the most opportune time to hit his first Old Trafford goal.

Rooney had given the Reds the lead, only for Tevez to capitalise on Foster's error and set up Gareth Barry's equaliser. Darren Fletcher then twice put United in front, but Craig Bellamy equalised on both occasions. That left substitute Owen to latch onto the outstanding Ryan Giggs' throughball and, in the sixth minute of injury time, poked home a brilliant winner.

It certainly was a game of two halves as, despite United's rapid start, City had most of the possession before the break. But the victory was wholly justified as United's second-half display was sheer class.

As the City players began their warm-up before the game, the boos that normally greet their visit were that little bit louder as Carlos Tevez had recovered from injury to make City’s starting XI. There was no place, of course, for the suspended Emmanuel Adebayor or the injured Robinho. Still, our blue neighbours would not entirely be deterred. Their 100 per cent start to the campaign, on the back of huge summer spending, has given rise to the belief (largely at Eastlands) that they are title challengers. At this stage at least, City are mere pretenders. And a large flag unveiled at the old scoreboard end before kick-off spelt it out simply, yet emphatically. Welcome to Manchester: 18 Premier League titles. 3 European Cups. 11 FA Cups. At the other end of the ground, the clock is clicking onto 34 years.

Sir Alex promised the game would be feisty, and that’s how it started. Tevez, typically tenacious, gave United an early fright when he blocked Ben Foster’s clearance, but from the resulting throw-in the Reds countered with Dimitar Berbatov, who slid an incisive pass into Rooney’s path. He was tackled by Micah Richards, but from a second throw-in City were caught out. Evra advanced along the byline unmarked before finding Rooney six yards out; he steadied himself with two blue shirts in close proximity and poked a shot through Shay Given’s legs. A dream start after just two minutes.

However, it was the high point in a frustrating half for United. After 17 minutes the Reds were pegged back – Tevez the goal’s architect. During two years at Old Trafford, United were well-accustomed to Tevez eagerly pestering opposition goalkeepers. And so – especially after an earlier warning – it was surprising that Foster didn’t clear his lines from a harmless blue ball forward. Instead, the Reds keeper hesitated, allowing Tevez to tackle him and lay the ball off for Gareth Barry, who side-footed past Nemanja Vidic on the line.

Despite the excellent start, the Reds enjoyed limited opportunities in front of goal for the remainder of the half. Berbatov saw a long-range effort go over and then couldn’t keep a header down from Giggs’ free-kick. City, with three central midfielders to United’s two, enjoyed a dominant share of possession, but they too lacked the guile to create. That is, until the final minute of the half when the ball was worked through to Tevez in the area. The Argentinian, with just Foster to beat, hit the post but that was largely due to Evra’s off-putting intervention.

Sir Alex is famed for his half-time motivational speeches, and this one must have been a corker because the Reds came back out with fire in their bellies. Within three minutes, Evra and Giggs combined well with the latter sending a deep cross to the far post, and Fletcher rose above the City defence to head past Given and make it advantage United again. Once more, though, City plucked something out of nothing to level the scores. Bellamy was allowed too much time on the ball and United were again ruthlessly punished as he cut inside and hit an unstoppable shot into Foster’s top corner.

United recognised the need for change on the hour mark and Sir Alex chose Antonio Valencia's direct threat on the right, replacing the energy of Park. The Ecuadorian earned a corner almost immediately, from which Berbatov forced a point-blank save from Given. A flurry of corners followed as United really began to turn the screw, with Given again denying a headed Berbatov effort from Giggs’ centre. “Attack, attack, attack,†came the cry from the Stretford End, seconds before the Welshman’s rifled shot forced another save from Given. United's baying fans sensed derby victory was there for the taking as the noise levels reached deafening decibels. Sir Alex sensed it, too, bringing on Owen in place of Berbatov to search for the all-important winner.

The goal soon arrived, and it was the same combination as before. Evra won a free-kick on the left, Giggs provided the curling delivery, and Fletcher headed home. It was nothing more than United deserved after a brilliant second-half display. Now the question was, with nine minutes remaining, could the Reds avoid handing City a route back into the match for a third time?

The answer, infuriatingly, was no. This time a sloppy pass from Ferdinand let in Bellamy and his pace took him away from the United no.5 before sliding the ball past Foster to level at 3-3. But whatever blame could be apportioned was dramatically and gloriously chalked off when Owen grabbed his late, late winner to end an enthralling derby in United's favour.

post-2609-1253512438_thumb.jpg

post-2609-1253512445_thumb.jpg

post-2609-1253512450_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

:upsidedown::rolleyes:Match-winner Owen delighted

20/09/2009 15:45, Report by Ben Hibbs

Michael Owen says his derby winner will be right up there with the most memorable moments of his career, after sealing a hugely absorbing 4-3 victory in the sixth minute of stoppage time at Old Trafford.

United’s no.7 came off the bench with the specific instruction to nab a winning strike, and he did that in the most dramatic fashion.

“It’s one of those few moments in my career that I’ll look back on and see it as one of the highlights,†he told MUTV. “To score in a derby is great, but for it to be as dramatic as that, you’d have to see it to believe it. It was such an entertaining game and it must be one of the best televised games of all time.â€

Owen’s clinical finish will enter folklore in Manchester after one of the most entertaining derbies this city has ever seen. Owen, naturally, takes it in his stride. “Some games you get four chances and don’t score and you get criticised,†he added. “Today I got one and scored. That’s the hard thing as a striker, you have to ride all the emotions.â€

Being an impact substitute is a new sensation for Owen, but he’s already proved he’s good at it. “In the first couple of minutes you’re finding your feet, getting your eye and ball coordination going. But you’re playing at the highest level and you have to be right up to speed straightaway.

“You’ve been sitting down on your backside for an hour, so it takes a few minutes to get into the game. But I got sent on for a reason, and that was to hopefully nick a goal. Thankfully it worked for me today.â€

Owen admitted he was nervous coming off the bench having soaked up all the atmosphere and tension whilst sat on the sidelines – although he certainly didn’t show his nerves when he got the ball inside the area from Ryan Giggs’ pass.

“It was a brilliant game. I don’t know how the manager and the coaching staff do it. It must be so nerve-racking every week. Whenever I start games I’m never nervous, but when you’re sat on the bench that tension rubs off so you go onto the pitch and you’re a little bit nervous. You’ve been kicking every ball and hearing the crowd throughout the game.

“As soon as they scored I heard the announcement which said there were four minutes, so immediately I thought that we might get a couple of chances. When they score, you think that’s it it’s probably going to be a draw, but you never stop believing that you can do it.â€

post-2609-1253512636_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

:bow:Fletch: It was emotional :upsidedown:

20/09/2009 16:12, Report by Ben Hibbs

Darren Fletcher described United’s dramatic 4-3 win over Manchester City as “emotionally exhausting†but says the Reds never stopped believing victory was possible.

Fletcher twice put the Reds in front but had to watch in frustration as two of three sloppy mistakes let City back into the game, which is why Michael Owen’s deserved late winner was as much relief as joy.

“That was really special because it’s the Manchester derby and because of the way City have started the season,†he told MUTV. “It was a top-of-the-table clash of sorts, and it was important that we got three points, especially after the way the game went.

“It was an exhausting game to play in. It was emotional because one minute you’re ahead and the next it’s level again. It was up and down, but you have got to believe in yourself and believe in your team-mates.

“The fans got right behind us, it was a great atmosphere and we kept fighting until the final whistle. The way we were playing in the second half we always felt that we could get another goal.â€

Fletcher added: “I was pleased to score two, especially because I’ve missed a few easy chances, especially in the earlier games. It’s nice to get two headers, a couple of goals to get me on my way. Hopefully I’ll get a few more.â€

But it was the sharp-shooting of Owen that grabs the headlines and left Fletcher in awe. “It was a great move and a fantastic finish,†he said. “Giggsy’s pass was unbelievable, and the way Michael controlled it with the outside of his foot and then finished was brilliant. A natural goalscorer makes natural goalscorer movements, and he’s going to be an important player for us.â€

The win reiterates the point that the champions remain the team to beat, but Fletcher thinks the match also indicates the long road ahead if United are to retain the title for a fourth year in a row.

“It shows it’s going to be a difficult season,†he added. “The teams in the Premier League get better and better every season. It gets harder to win the title every year. We just have to concentrate on ourselves and keep winning matches because if we do that we’ll be there come the end of the season.â€

post-2609-1253512976_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

:pirate:Mark Hughes fumes at Manchester United's overtime winner

• Timekeeping is criticised after 96th-minute drama

• Ferguson dismisses City as 'our noisy neighbours'

Daniel Taylor at Old Trafford

The Guardian, Monday 21 September 2009

Mark Hughes angrily criticised the timekeeping at Old Trafford after Michael Owen's dramatic winner, almost 5½ minutes into stoppage time, gave Manchester United a controversial 4-3 derby win and left Sir Alex Ferguson revelling in the misery of the team he described as "our noisy neighbours".

Hughes was furious that the referee, Martin Atkinson, allowed the game to continue for so long after the fourth official signalled four minutes of added time and his anger was exacerbated by Ferguson's provocative remarks, the United manager claiming his team should have won 6-0 before belittling Manchester City even further.

"It's been unusual for us to accept that they [City] are top dogs in terms of media attention but, you know, sometimes you have a noisy neighbour and you have to live with it," Ferguson said. "You can't do anything about them if they keep on making noise but what you can do, as we showed today, is get on with your life, put your television on and turn it up a bit louder. As far as the players are concerned, they showed their playing power today and that's the best answer of all."

Hughes could not disguise his displeasure when he was made aware of those remarks but his main grievance was with the amount of stoppage time. At the final whistle he pointedly held out four fingers to Atkinson and, having watched the game's final stages on video, his mood was even worse.

"The fourth official [Alan Wiley] tried to give me an explanation but it didn't sit comfortably. He said he [Atkinson] had added a minute-plus because of our goal celebration [after Craig Bellamy had made it 3-3] but they got it wrong. We feel robbed."

The official time for Bellamy's goal was 89 minutes and 54 seconds and Hughes continued: "We scored right on 90 minutes and the board was already up for four minutes. We have since timed it from when we scored to when the game kicked off again and it was 45 seconds. They [united] actually scored after 95 minutes and 26 seconds, so he has obviously played too much time – and he actually went on to play 97 minutes in total.

"I just want an explanation. I'm not going to question his integrity, I just want an explanation why he added seven minutes and, if he can give me a good reason, I won't have a problem, but I just can't see where he got that time. It would be nice to get an explanation, though I doubt I will get one."

Hughes noted that Old Trafford had a reputation for matches running well over the allotted time. "Historically it has happened before," the former United player said. "I was in teams here who had that benefit and I never thought it was an issue because I actually thought we had a bad time by referees. Since I left I have probably changed my view."

Ferguson disagreed. "The four minutes went up and then they scored their goal. I don't know how long it took for them to celebrate but it took some time and that's where the added time came from. But at the end of the day we have had a fantastic performance.

"I mean, really, what could the score really have been? We made three horrendous mistakes which you don't even half associate with our team and it kept them in the game. We could have scored six or seven. The fact we made the mistakes probably made it the best derby game of all time, so you're left wondering, would you rather have won 6-0 or won the greatest derby game of all time? I would rather have won 6-0."

"Maybe he feels the need to say that but I don't think he needs to," Hughes responded. "I also feel we had a chance to go into the lead [at 1-1] when Carlos Tévez hit the post. He was fouled by Patrice Evra and it should have been a penalty but the referee missed that as well."

Hughes's mood was not helped by the manner in which United celebrated the winning goal, complaining that the unused substitute Gary Neville had "run on like a lunatic". Neville ran along the side of the pitch to celebrate in front of the City supporters and Hughes described his former team-mate as "over-excitable".

It was the tone of an afternoon in which Ferguson and Hughes could also be seen exchanging angry words on the touchline. Asked later whether United's "noisy neighbours" would be quieter for a while, Ferguson replied: "Well, they'll always be noisy." :eyebrow:

post-2609-1253548049_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

:rolleyes::upsidedown:Michael Owen's goal was his most dramatic since the 1998 World Cup

No one can doubt the 29-year-old striker's continued ability to hold his nerve to score at vital times

Posted by Richard Williams

Monday 21 September 2009 00.10 BST

The Guardian

When Manchester City scored their third equaliser with 10 seconds of the 90 minutes left on the clock, thousands of home fans rose from their seats and headed for home. Franco Baldini had already left. All of them missed perhaps the most dramatic goal Michael Owen has scored since the summer night in 1998 when he scampered through the Argentina defence and wrote his name in the Saint-Etienne sky.

Baldini will no doubt watch it on television, as will his boss, Fabio Capello. In itself, the clinical finish in the sixth minute of added time might not be enough to persuade the England management team to find a place for Owen in their squad before next month's qualifying matches against Ukraine and Belarus. But the goal ensured that however long the striker's time at Old Trafford lasts, it will not go unremembered.

This was Owen's second Premier League goal in a United shirt, to follow the one he scored to complete a 5-0 win after coming on as a substitute at Wigan a month ago, and again it evoked memories of his great years. After City, under incessant assault, had failed to clear their lines properly, a superbly alert Ryan Giggs provided Owen with what will be seen, should United go on win the title by a single point, as the decisive pass of the season.

Just as he had done against Wigan, Owen created the opportunity by drifting left and opening up a space between defenders. Hit with enough pace to take the defenders out of the game, Giggs's pass invited Owen to control the ball with a single touch and, with the fate of an overheated derby at stake, calmly guided his shot past Shay Given's left hand. At a stroke, he had put those of us who questioned the 29-year-old's continuing ability to hold his nerve in such situations firmly in our place.

There were plenty of sceptics ready to question Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to take Owen on a free transfer from Newcastle. It seemed too easy an option for the Manchester United manager, one perhaps intended to provide a little camouflage for his apparent inability, for whatever reason, to use the cash accrued from the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo and saved by the decision not to retain Carlos Tévez.

While Tévez and Ronaldo packed their bags and said their goodbyes, Karim Benzema went from Lyon to Real Madrid and Sergio Agüero stayed at Atlético Madrid. The arrival of Owen, whose year at Real Madrid and four injury-disrupted seasons at Newcastle United seemed to have cast a remarkable career into premature decline, hardly matched the impact of other star strikers imported to Old Trafford amid loud fanfares over the last half-century, from Albert Quixall to Dimitar Berbatov.

It was Berbatov whom Owen replaced with 13 minutes of yesterday's match remaining. In Ferguson's view, the Bulgarian could have had five goals during his time on the pitch. Neutrals would probably have settled for two, from the pair of powerful headers that drew tremendous saves from Given in the 65th and 68th minutes. Ferguson called it "a fantastic performance by Berbatov", but too often the £30m striker behaved as though he had been paying too much attention to the words attributed to Marlon Brando in response to a question about his acting technique: "Just because they shout 'action', it doesn't mean you have to do anything."

This was an all-action match, even when nothing much was happening for long stretches of the first half, and Berbatov gave the impression of allowing it to pass him by. Those headers were the exception and they should have been lethal, crowning a second half surely as one-sided as any in living memory at this level, in which virtually all City did was score their two goals. After Craig Bellamy had scored their second equaliser seven minutes after half-time, it was another 25 minutes before they put two passes together.

Bellamy's second goal seemed to have condemned United to an afternoon of disappointment and to questions about the possible disappearance of the aura of superiority so assiduously cultivated by Ferguson. But then came the vivid flicker of instinct and skill with which Owen settled a derby that had all the chaotic momentum of a great cup tie.

"In the last two weeks he's been doing very well in training," Ferguson said. "He's become sharper and his focus has been very good. His positional sense and his finishing are exceptional."

Owen said he felt more nervous coming on as a substitute than he did when starting a match. "You watch the game from the bench," he observed, "and you find yourself kicking every ball." By kicking the one that counted, under colossal pressure, he added yet another line to Ferguson's long list of managerial coups.

post-2609-1253548223_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

:lol:Michael Owen wipes Carlos Tevez's name from the Manchester United history books :heh:

Carlos Tevez will break into a cold sweat when he contrasts his first-half miss with the clinical finish of the man brought in to replace him

Posted by Daniel Taylor at Old Trafford

Sunday 20 September 2009 16.18 BST

guardian.co.uk

The target, undoubtedly, was Carlos Tévez. As the Manchester City players left the pitch at half-time the most reviled player in the stadium was staring sullenly at the fans in the Stretford End. It was a sea of hand signals and angry, contorted faces and Tévez began to applaud sarcastically. Something was thrown. It struck Javier Garrido, the wrong player. In that moment Tévez must have realised the true depth of feeling here when it comes to his defection to the other side of a divided city.

There are many different ways to make someone feel unwelcome. Sir Alex Ferguson's own technique was to freeze Tévez into the gulag of indifference, with not a single reference to his former player in his programme notes, no mention of Tévez's part in helping to restore the European Cup to Old Trafford, no message welcoming him back to Old Trafford. Ferguson talks about Tévez these days only when he is asked. It is as though he would rather airbrush him from the club's history.

As for the crowd, they opted for outright hostility, attacking Tévez for his perceived treachery; so voluble was their contempt it was difficult to remember the last time a visiting player to Old Trafford had been received so badly. City had their fun with their Tévez-inspired Welcome to Manchester billboard earlier this summer. United's fans made their point with a banner bearing the same message – complete with a list of the club's major trophies.

Nothing will have hurt Tévez more, however, than that moment in the 96th minute, long after City thought the game should have ended, when Ryan Giggs picked out Michael Owen inside the penalty area and everything seemed to go into slow motion. Here was the man who had been brought in to replace Tévez and, with his first chance, his finish was unerring. Some of the City players sunk to the ground in despair. Tévez simply stood and stared. It was a moment of classic United.

It will not need to be pointed out to the Old Trafford crowd that this was the same end at which Tévez had squandered his one big chance of the afternoon. Tévez, one imagines, could find himself breaking into a cold sweat when he recalls that moment, in the last attack of the first half, when the ball was at his feet inside the penalty area and, unchallenged, his shot flicked off the outside of the post. It was the kind of miss that could be used as evidence to back Ferguson's claims that the striker was simply not worth the unspecified, but undoubtedly huge, fee that City had paid for him.

Football can be brutal like that because if it had not been for Owen's late contribution that miss would have been largely glossed over in appreciation of the way Tévez had played and the manner in which, for City's opening goal, he had turned down the volume on the hate mob. Tévez displayed all the qualities that had made him such a favourite at Old Trafford – indefatigable, hard-running, always looking for danger and quick, strong and brave enough to unnerve even the most accomplished opponents.

Perhaps he had inside information too. Maybe he knew from his time at Old Trafford that Ben Foster can dither sometimes when he comes off his goal-line. The game was barely a minute old when Tévez got in behind Nemanja Vidic to charge down one clearance and when he sensed the goalkeeper's vulnerability again his determination paid off.

This was classic Tévez, scampering after Gareth Barry's pass when most players would have accepted that it was too far to reach. Foster, again, was uncertain and Tévez was there in a flash. This was all about his tenacity and desire but there was also something understated about the way that, having dispossessed the goalkeeper, his desperation to prove a point did not blur his thoughts and he still had the presence of mind to see that Barry was in a better position than himself. Barry may have slotted the ball into the exposed net but it was a goal that owed everything to Tévez.

It could have been one of the defining moments of a momentous match. Instead, this was probably the day that Owen's Manchester United career started in earnest and Tévez's contribution was consigned to the small print.

post-2609-1253548767_thumb.jpg

post-2609-1253548776_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

:evil:Owen braced for facing Reds fans in United shirt :pirate:

By ROBERT MILLWARD,AP Soccer Writer - Tuesday, October 20

LONDON – Michael Owen knows how tough it is trying to convince England coach Fabio Capello he's good enough for the World Cup, especially as it might well be in vain.

The former Liverpool, Real Madrid and Newcastle striker has fought back from persistent hamstring injuries, a knee operation and a foot fracture and emerged still trying to sound positive.

Now comes possibly the most difficult task of all.

Once the favorite of the Liverpool fans, Owen now has to face them at Anfield wearing a Manchester United shirt.

When it comes to soccer, the followers of the two most successful clubs in English league history hate each other.

Few players wind up playing for both clubs and, although Owen has taken a round trip via Madrid and Newcastle, the Liverpool fans are likely to forget all the great goals he scored for their team when they see him wearing United's colors.

"I would prefer people to sit down and recognize what you did for them and for the team in years gone past," Owen said. "But I am pretty realistic as well and now that I am playing for their arch rivals... I am not holding my breath, put it that way."

Owen hopes the Liverpool fans will acknowledge he is a professional player earning a living.

After disappointing spells at Madrid and Newcastle, he badly needs a break to get back to the top of English soccer and recapture his England place. With Liverpool seemingly not interested in taking him back, he had to go to a club capable of winning titles.

Manchester United appeared to be the ideal choice although not in the eyes of the Liverpool fans.

"People talk about loyalty in football. It is easy for a football supporter to preach about that," Owen said. "As a father, brother and son, there is no one more loyal than me. But when you are a player, you are not a fan. I have got to earn a living, provide for my family. It is a job opportunity, just like anyone else's work."

Owen has faced Liverpool before. As a Newcastle player last season, he played in both Premier League games that his former club won, 5-1 and 3-0.

But this is different. And if Wayne Rooney fails to recover from injury, there is a good chance Owen will start or at least be on the bench at Anfield.

The thought doesn't appear to worry him. Neither, it seems, do his so far fruitless efforts to get Capello to select him for England.

The Italian coach has guided England impressively to the 2010 World Cup with nine wins in 10 qualifying matches without any help from Owen, a veteran of three such championships and with 40 goals in 89 games for his country.

Capello persistently says "the door is still open" when the subject is raised of Owen's inclusion in the England squad although that doesn't sound like much encouragement for the 29-year-old striker.

The player's argument is that he won't let Capello down and he has plenty of experience of World Cups, whereas younger players might freeze on the big occasion.

"Everyone knows if I play then I am likely to score every other game," he said. "Playing in a World Cup wouldn't bother me. In fact, I would raise my game, as happened before in big games. Naturally I would like to be in the squad, but the last thing I want to be is campaigning."

With Sunday's game looming, Owen has plenty to think about as the Man United stars make the long journey to and from their Champions League group game against CSKA Moscow in Russia. Owen, who is in the horse business as a stable owner, can check the racing papers for the odds on his thoroughbreds. He might also note that that the bookmakers rate him a 9-4 shot to play at the World Cup but 1-3 that he won't.

If that doesn't worry him, there's always the thought of facing those Liverpool fans.

• SRC Member

:blink::cry::(WE SHALL BE BACK....!!!

Liverpool 2

Torres (65), Ngog (96)

Man United 0

Anfield, 25 October 2009 44,188

25/10/2009 14:21, Report by Nick Coppack

Sir Alex’s message prior to Sunday’s clash with Liverpool was simple: form counts for nothing in these matches. Unfortunately, he was right.

At Anfield, the team in the midst of their worst run of results in 22 years beat the side who hadn’t tasted defeat in 11 games. Goals from Fernando Torres and David Ngog – the second in the sixth minute of injury time as the Reds threw men forward in search of an equaliser – gave Liverpool all three points in a game United never looked like winning. To make matters worse, Nemanja Vidic was given his marching orders after picking up a second yellow card in the 89th minute. It’s the third time in a row he’s been sent off in this fixture.

In isolation, defeat isn’t disastrous: the Reds lose top spot but it’s only October and a trip to Stamford Bridge – an opportunity, in all probability, to wrestle back the lead – beckons in a fortnight. No, it’s more a matter of pride and a blow to the momentum Sir Alex’s men had built up over the last two months.

Heading into Sunday’s clash, the boss made four changes to the side that won in Moscow in midweek. John O’Shea and Patrice Evra slotted back into the defensive line and Ryan Giggs took up a position on the left wing. But the pre-match discussion on the terraces and in pubs up and down the country centred on Wayne Rooney’s return. Out of action since the international break with a calf injury, the boyhood Everton fan came through Saturday’s training session unscathed and took his place in Sir Alex’s starting XI.

Rooney looked sharp and had the ball in the net after just three minutes, but the England striker was flagged offside as he collected Berbatov’s pass. It was an early warning for the home side, though, who seemed to take heed: United’s next chance didn’t arrive until 21 minutes, when, after a flowing one-touch move, Rooney’s header drew only a routine save from Pepe Reina.

By then, Edwin van der Sar had twice been called into action. The Dutchman did tremendously to claw out Fabio Aurelio’s free-kick after Patrice Evra had upended Fernando Torres just outside the penalty area. When the ball dropped to Dirk Kuyt, van der Sar spread himself well to save with his legs.

Kuyt wasted another chance two minutes later. A poor touch from Paul Scholes allowed Lucas to nip in and win possession. Liverpool’s Brazilian midfielder then drove forward, drew Nemanja Vidic and fed Kuyt on his outside. Kuyt dragged his shot wide of the far post and scores remained level.

United’s front two found life difficult in the early stages. With the midfield dropping deep to add protection at the back, Rooney and Berbatov were often isolated and outnumbered. When the Reds did press forward in numbers it was down the flanks, with Valencia and Giggs looking to whip over early crosses and catch Liverpool’s centre backs off guard.

The Reds enjoyed a decent spell of territory and possession just after the half-hour mark, but it was Liverpool who carved out the next best chance. Yossi Benayoun sat up a cross from the right wing for left-back Fabio Aurelio to run onto. The Brazilian met the ball eight yards from goal and did well to direct his header downwards. Van der Sar was equal to the task, saving smartly down to his right.

With scores locked at 0-0 at half-time, Rafa Benitez appeared the happier manager. And it was Liverpool who began the second period brightest. In fact, but for Dirk Kuyt’s decision to cross when he perhaps should have shot himself, the home side might have taken the lead on 50 minutes.

United then fashioned two chances in front of the travelling fans. Michael Carrick met Ryan Giggs’ curling free-kick but headed straight against Glen Johnson. From the resulting corner, Liverpool half cleared before Giggs almost stole in to volley home at the back post.

But just as Sir Alex’s men appeared to be edging into the game, Fernando Torres struck the hammer blow. Benayoun’s probing pass sent the Spaniard into the penalty area and from there Torres did well to fend off Rio Ferdinand and fire past van der Sar from the corner of the six-yard box. It was a clinical finish from the striker, who’s now hit the net nine times this season.

The goal prompted Sir Alex to send Michael Owen down the touchline to warm up and the former Liverpool hero was introduced on 74 minutes. To say his return to Anfield was unpopular with the home fans would be gross understatement. It was fellow substitute Nani – on for Paul Scholes – however, who made the quicker impact.

The ball fell to the Portuguese winger inside the penalty area just three minutes after his arrival, but his side-footed effort flew straight at Pepe Reina. Owen was hauled back by Jamie Carragher when it looked like he might surge clear and Antonio Valencia

almost salvaged a point in the 84th minute when his close-range drive rattled the crossbar. But in truth United hadn't done enough to take anything from this match, despite a late period of pressure.

Of course, the more men United threw forward in search of that elusive equaliser the more holes appeared at the back. So it was hardly surprising when Liverpool substitute David Ngog found himself clean through on goal deep into injury time. The youngster kept his composure to slide the ball past van der Sar and make sure of all three points.

The last-gasp goal capped a miserable day for United's travelling fans, who'd begun the day blowing up beach balls; they left Anfield more than a little deflated.

• SRC Member

:ooh::(:cry:

25/10/2009 17:39, Report by Adam Bostock

"Normally when United play we create at least five or six clear chances but we only had one.

"It’s not enough if you want to win against Liverpool."

- Patrice Evra

:pirate:Evra: We didn't do enough :blink:

Patrice Evra says the United players are in pain after a disappointing performance and result against arch-rivals Liverpool.

The French full-back was clearly frustrated when he spoke to MUTV at Anfield, and moreso at his own side than at referee Andre Marriner who booked Evra and Dimitar Berbatov and sent off Nemanja Vidic.

"The advice was to play our football but we didn’t do that and I don’t know why. Liverpool were aggressive but we didn’t play and that’s why it’s so frustrating to lose," said Evra.

Patrice dismissed the intense atmosphere as a possible reason for the defeat - "I'm always happy to play here, I’m not scared." And although he was less than impressed by the referee - "I don’t understand why Carragher only got a yellow card for fouling Owen when I think he was the last man" - the focus of the full-back's angst was very close to home.

"I look more at the display of Manchester United and the display was poor today. Normally when United play we create at least five or six clear chances but we only had the one when Valencia hit the crossbar. It’s not enough if you want to win against Liverpool.

"(Losing to Liverpool) is the most pain you can have when you play for United. There was a big silence in the dressing room afterwards and we will need a few days to recover from this big disappointment for us, for the staff, for the fans. Now I think we need to do what we did last year – win the league after losing to Liverpool. We also need to make sure we show the real United team at Old Trafford."

• SRC Member

:pirate:Boss aggrieved

25/10/2009 17:29, Report by Nick Coppack

Sir Alex left Anfield frustrated by refereeing decisions but admitted Liverpool deserved all three points on Sunday.

“It was a disappointing performance and Liverpool were better,†the boss told MUTV.

“We never got any luck in terms of refereeing decisions, but we have to hold our hands up: we weren’t good enough.â€

The manager was particularly riled by two decisions involving Liverpool captain Jamie Carragher. For the first, Carragher escaped punishment from referee Andre Marriner when he lunged in on Michael Carrick inside the penalty area. For the second, he was shown only a yellow card when he hauled back Michael Owen as the striker looked to break clear of the opposition defence.

“The laws of the game were altered to prevent professional fouls of that nature,†Sir Alex said of the second decision. “If Carragher goes off – their best player, their captain – then it’s a different game and Liverpool would have been under pressure.

“And as far as I’m concerned, Michael Carrick should have had a clear penalty kick. Jamie Carragher’s gone over the top of the ball. If it’s outside the box it’s a free-kick and maybe even a yellow card but it was inside the box and nothing was given.

“I’m not trying to take anything away from Liverpool – they were the better team – but there were so many controversial things that happened out there and we feel a bit aggrieved.â€

Both teams ended the game with 10 men after referee Marriner issued red cards to Nemanja Vidic and Javier Mascherano.

Now Sir Alex is tasked with the challenge of orchestrating a recovery. United face Barnsley in the League Cup on Tuesday and are back in league action next weekend when Blackburn Rovers come to Old Trafford.

“Part of the challenge at this club is how you react to disappointment. We lost 4-1 to Liverpool at home last season, which was a travesty at the time. But the players buckled down and we went on to win the league. â€

post-2609-1256538795_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

:whistlePremier League - Paper Round: Rio set for axe <_<

Eurosport - Tue, 27 Oct 08:50:00 2009

Alex Ferguson is set to drop underfire Rio Ferdinand for Manchester United's Premier League clash with Blackburn at the weekend.

The England defender has struggled for form since returning from injury earlier this season and came in for a hail of criticism for his performance in the weekend's defeat to Liverpool.

He was widely considered to be at fault for Fernando Torres's opener at Anfield and, considering it was not his first mistake of the season, Ferguson is now prepared to wield the axe. (The Sun)

And it may fall as early as this weekend's game at Old Trafford, with Jonny Evans willing, able and expected to step in.

That defeat to arch rivals Liverpool left Ferguson seething about referee Andre Mariner, albeit in a round-about way, considering the hot water the United boss is already in with the FA.

So cleverly-worded was his rant-but-not-a-rant after the game, there will be no further action as Fergie's views were considered too vague. (The Independent)

Speaking of the original episode that landed him in trouble - the 'fitness' jibe at Alan Wiley - the Daily Mail reports that Ferguson has now admitted he was wrong and has contacted the FA to admit their charge of improper conduct.

Another United defender making the headlines today is Gary Neville, who was involved in a war of words with a Liverpool steward and a police officer during his post-match warm down. (The Sun)

Neville did not play at Anfield, yet took to the pitch with fellow unused substitute Evans after full-time, only to be told to head back to the dressing rooms by the steward, who thought his presence might lead to problems with crowd control.

Neville protested, natch, before the policeman waded in and told him in no uncertain terms to listen to the steward and clear off. Eventually he did.

Back to our meat and drink now: transfer gossip. And grabbing today's headlines is Sergio Aguero, whose club Atletico Madrid have opened the door to a £42 million January move. (The Sun)

Chelsea are likely to lead the way for the Argentina striker should they have their transfer ban suspended, although Manchester United have also expressed an interest and will surely challenge for his signature.

Manchester City forward Robinho has made another bid to win a move to Barcelona, telling a Brazilian radio station he is "happy" about their interest and that he could become the best player in the world at the Nou Camp. (The Times)

Villarreal goalkeeper Diego Lopez has appeared on United's radar, with Ferguson looking for a long-term replacement for Edwin van der Sar whose name is not Ben Foster. The 27-year-old would set United back around £15m. (The Sun)

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is eyeing up a swoop for £16m-rated Brazil and Internacional star Sandro. (Daily Mirror)

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has joined the race to sign Middlesbrough midfielder Adam Johnson. Sunderland and Everton are also keen. (The Sun)

Steve Bruce wants Maynor Figueroa to join him at Sunderland and will make a £4m January bid to test Wigan's resolve. (Daily Mirror)

Everton are keen on Argentina midfielder Fabian Rinaudo, who currently plays for Gimnasia de la Plata and is valued at £5m. (The Sun)

New Birmingham owner Carson Yeung is bidding to block the near £1m pay-off former managing director Karen Brady is due should the club stay up this season. (Daily Mail)

And finally, Paper Round reported last week that Fabio Capello threw a tray against a wall in a fit of anger when one of his players, later revealed to Emile Heskey, was caught using his mobile phone during a team dinner.

The England manager has now revealed this not to be true, claiming that it was not just Heskey who broke his strict mobile rule, and that there was a second player who incurred his ire. Capello has also set the record straight on the flying tray incident: he did not hurl anything against the wall and it was a lid that was keeping his dinner warm that merely dropped to the table. Thanks for clearing that one up, Fabio. (The Sun)

Eurosport

:whistlePremier League - Ferguson admits FA charge

Eurosport - Tue, 27 Oct 10:05:00 2009

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has accepted a charge of improper conduct following his comments on the fitness of referee Alan Wiley.

Ferguson, who criticised Wiley following his team's 2-2 draw with Sunderland at Old Trafford on October 3, has requested a personal hearing. The date for that has yet to be decided.

The United boss, 67, has faced calls for him to be given a lengthy touchline ban by the referees' union Prospect as a consequence of the comments.

Ferguson accused Wiley of not adding enough stoppage time, described his performance as "ridiculous" and said: "The pace of the game demanded a referee who was fit. He was not fit."

Despite apologising to Wiley for causing him embarrassment, Ferguson did not retract his comments and claimed he was spotlighting "a serious and important issue in the game".

The United boss is expected to escape a further FA charge despite launching a separate attack on referee Andre Marriner, who officiated Sunday's 2-0 defeat to Liverpool at Anfield.

Ferguson accused Marriner of making several bad decisions, and questioned whether he had enough experience to take charge of such a big game.

He said: "I think (the atmosphere) affected our players and it affected the referee. Whether he had enough experience, I don't know. He will certainly learn from it."

However, the comments are likely to be deemed too vague to warrant official action.

PA Sport

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

:pirate:Fergie saviour Robins aiming for United knockout

AFP - Tuesday, October 27

BARNSLEY, England (AFP) - – Nearly two decades after his FA Cup goal for Manchester United likely kept Alex Ferguson in a job at Old Trafford, Mark Robins will try to knock his old manager's side out of the League Cup.

Robins's goal in a 1-0 third round win against Nottingham Forest back in January 1990 came when former Aberdeen manager Ferguson was under pressure after three three years without a trophy at Old Trafford.

But United went on to win the FA Cup, the first of 25 major trophies Ferguson has brought to the club.

They include last season's League Cup but the 39-year-old Robins, now the manager of Championship side Barnsley, will look to put one over his former boss at Oakwell on Tuesday.

Now the thought of Ferguson being forced out of United, even though the champions lost on Sunday to arch-rivals Liverpool, seems fanciful.

However, the Scot was not always so secure in his job as Robins recalled.

"I had just broken into the first-team fold," he said.

"The week before I had scored my first league goal against Wimbledon at Plough Lane. There was no alternative but to play me against Forest because there were a lot of injuries to senior players.

"In the first half, I got a chance where the ball was played into my feet. I had my back to goal but I turned and hit it just past the post.

"I got the hair-dryer treatment at half-time because I didn't lay it back to Brian McClair.

"For the goal, I remember Lee Martin was tackled, the ball came to Mark Hughes and with the outside of his right foot he laid it into the penalty area, but it hit the ground as it came up to me and I needed to guide it back where it came from.

"I got pushed in the back by one of their players but it went in the net and we won 1-0."

Robins doesn't mind being known as the man who saved Ferguson's job even if his old manager has a slightly different take on the events of that key match.

"It's nice that people think of the goal in that way and that I can have that claim, if you like," Robins said.

"But Sir Alex wrote a book and, in it, he was asked the question did the goal save his job? He wrote that in training I would have missed it - but because I got a push in the back from Stuart Pearce it went in!

"So did I save his job? Yes, I did."

• SRC Member

:eyebrow:Ferguson expects United to bounce back

AFP - Monday, October 26

LIVERPOOL (AFP) - – Sir Alex Ferguson warned Manchester United's Premier League rivals that his side's 2-0 defeat at Liverpool will only strengthen their determination to retain the title.

United cut a strangely subdued look as second half goals from Fernando Torres and David Ngog at Anfield on Sunday condemned the champions to their first defeat in 12 matches.

Ferguson was forced to admit United had been out-played and out-fought. But the United manager believes the frustration of a result which allowed Chelsea to move two points ahead of them at the top of the table is certain to prove the catalyst for a powerful winning run.

While any defeat against the team United hate the most will always stick in Ferguson's throat, the Scot knows his side were beaten twice by Rafa Benitez's men last season and still ended the campaign as champions.

They bounced back from a 4-1 defeat to the Reds at Old Trafford in March by surging to the finish line in the title race and Ferguson expects more of the same this time.

"We will always react. That is the important thing about our club," Ferguson said.

"They have always had to do that. It is not something unusual for us. At some points of your season you are going to have disappointments.

"Last year we lost 4-1 at home to Liverpool, got hold of the bit again and went on to win the league and that is our challenge."

After four successive defeats, Liverpool knew another loss would end their title hopes, so it was no surprise that Javier Mascherano, Fabio Aurelio and Lucas snapped into tackles with abandon.

But United midfielders Michael Carrick and Paul Scholes were overwhelmed and Ferguson conceded they offered little in the way of a response to the physical challenge.

Torres opened the scoring in the 65th minute when he got clear of Rio Ferdinand and lashed home a sublime finish.

A bad day for United got even worse when Serbian defender Nemanja Vidic, already on a booking, was dismissed for a clear professional foul on Dirk Kuyt - his third successive red card against Liverpool.

David Ngog added Liverpool's second goal in stoppage time and Gary Neville, an unused substitute, appeared to exchange words with home fans near the dug-out as United's frustration boiled over.

"All in all Liverpool were the better team and created more chances," Ferguson said. "They deserved their victory. We created few chances. We have let ourselves down with our penetration.

"I think we got caught up in the atmosphere and the wounded animal aspect of it.

"Their fans were fanatical and every decision they put the referee under pressure all the time."

Ferguson felt referee Andre Marriner had been unable to cope with the red-hot atmosphere and slammed the official for failing to award a first half penalty for Jamie Carragher's foul on Michael Carrick.

Marriner, who did sent off Reds midfielder Javier Mascherano in stoppage time, also only showed a yellow card to Carragher when, with the score still just 1-0, he hauled down Michael Owen as the former Liverpool striker threatened an equaliser.

"I felt Carrick in the first half was a penalty and of course the controversial one that everyone will be talking about was when Carragher brought Michael Owen down on the edge of the box," Ferguson said.

"He is their most experienced and best defender and if he goes off at that stage it would have difficult for them.

"When Vidic got his first booking he committed a foul but won the second ball and that's what the referee booked him for. The crowd got him booked.

"On the second booking, I don't think it was a vicious foul, it was obstruction more than anything. The fact he has been booked puts the referee under pressure.

"That atmosphere is hard to handle for the referee. Whether he had enough experience I don't know but he will certainly learn from it."

• SRC Member

:pirate:Mixed emotions for Sir Alex

03/11/2009 23:09, Report by Gemma Thompson

Sir Alex Ferguson felt contrasting emotions after United's dramatic draw with CSKA Moscow which booked the Reds a spot in last 16 of the Champions League.

United came from 3-1 down to rescue a point thanks to a Paul Scholes header and an injury-time own goal from Georgi Schennikov.

While delighted with his team's powers of recovery, he was less impressed by the Reds' defensive play.

"We were absolutely fantastic in terms of our desire to win the match and were unlucky at times in the game," he told MUTV. "Their goalkeeper made some fantastic saves, we hit the post and missed a lot of other chances. And we also had a stonewall penalty turned down.

"But we didn't make it easy for ourselves and it became an uphill fight. That's maybe not a bad thing though because it's a reminder that when you leave yourself open in European football it can be very dangerous.

"Their first two goals were soft goals to lose and the third was unbelievable - a free header at the back post on a set-piece. That's the first goal we've lost on a set-piece for a year; it's a good reminder for us about how we need to defend those situations, especially as we'll face a lot of set-pieces on Sunday at Chelsea."

It wasn't just United's defensive play which irked the manager, it was referee Olegario Benquerenca's staggering decision to book Darren Fletcher for diving when the Scot had clearly been tripped by Aleksei Berezutski in the area in the second half.

"I can't believe the decision. It's one of the worst I've seen in my lifetime," admitted a bemused Sir Alex. "And there's not a thing we can do about it unfortunately.

"You can maybe understand it [the fact you can't appeal yellow cards] in domestic football because it would clog up the system if everyone appealed bookings. But the situation in Europe is different - three bookings could mean you end up missing a Champions League final for example, just as Darren did last season when he was very unfortunate yet again. And the booking tonight could lead to him missing a really important game this season.

"It's something that UEFA should look at and the referee should be open about it. He's made a bad mistake - we all make mistakes in games and he should be big enough to say he's made a mistake and forget the booking."

:evil:Wes: Let's keep it tight

03/11/2009 23:42, Report by Gemma Thompson

Wes Brown admits United will need to make a dramatic improvement defensively for Sunday's trip to Chelsea after being caught out three times at the back by CSKA Moscow.

Both Alan Dzagoev and Milos Krasic were given time and space to manoeuvre their way towards United's goal for the Russians' opening two strikes, while Vasili Berezutski was afforded a free header from a set-piece for their third.

"We've definitely got to play better at Stamford Bridge and keep it tight at the back," admitted Brown in an interview with MUTV. "Some people thought it would be an easy game for us at home, but CSKA proved what a good side they are.

"It was very frustrating to go 3-1 down. We didn't play particularly well in the first half - they kept the ball well, scored early and generally made things hard for us. But in the second half we managed to put some pressure on them, the crowd got behind us and we were lucky to get the draw.

"Qualification was the most important thing. It would have been nice to get the win, but now we've qualified we can concentrate on the league."

The Reds will indeed now spend the next few days fine-tuning their game plan for what Brown believes will United's "toughest match of the season so far" at Stamford Bridge.

"Chelsea are playing very well at the moment," declared the defender. "They're a strong side, well organised and they're scoring a lot of goals. We're going to have to go there and play really well if we're to come away with any points."

• SRC Member

:pirate:Ferguson says real United will show up at Chelsea

Reuters - 2 hours 23 minutes ago

By Martyn Herman

LONDON - Manchester United sit just two points behind Chelsea in the table but as they prepare to visit Stamford Bridge on Sunday there is a sense that something is not quite right with the Premier League champions.

Last month's 2-0 defeat at Liverpool was a sobering experience for Alex Ferguson and was concrete proof the loss of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid and Carlos Tevez to Manchester City has severely diminished his team as an attacking force.

There are also worries at the back with Rio Ferdinand clearly off the pace as he struggles with a back injury and Nemanja Vidic, who was sent off against Liverpool, jittery.

While defeat at Stamford Bridge would not be catastrophic, Ferguson knows that a repeat of the Anfield debacle at Chelsea could put Carlo Ancelotti's team in the driving seat in the title race as winter looms.

"It's always a hard game at Chelsea, but we'll deal with it better than we did at Anfield, I'm sure of that," Ferguson told Inside United magazine on Wednesday.

"They're shaping up to be the main challengers. It seems they'll be the ones to get in front of."

United lacked fluency in their last Premier League game, a 2-0 home win against Blackburn Rovers, while against CSKA Moscow in the Champions League at Old Trafford on Tuesday their defence, minus Ferdinand and Vidic, was a shambles.

Two goals in the last five minutes inspired by substitute Wayne Rooney earned United a 3-3 draw to secure their place in the knockout round but it was a performance that offered plenty of encouragement to Chelsea.

Ancelotti's favoured midfield diamond is beginning to shine, giving the Blues both security at the back and potency up front where Didier Drogba looks back to his best after two goals in the 2-2 draw at Atletico Madrid on his return from a UEFA ban.

"Their consistency, compared to last season, has probably been a bit better under Ancelotti," Ferguson said.

"He's brought in the system he used at AC Milan of the diamond in the middle of the pitch. It's hard to break down when you get into their third, because they've got bodies compacted into the central area of the pitch.

"Ancelotti's got the two strikers, and that is a major change compared to Scolari and Ranieri."

While United struggle to fire on all cylinders, Drogba said Chelsea have a great chance to put some early distance between themselves and their biggest rivals.

"It's really important for us to beat United at home," Drogba said. "The match against Atletico was far from a good performance -- I think we were thinking about Sunday's game."

United could well be without Ferdinand against Chelsea while Gary Neville is suspended but Vidic and Ryan Giggs, both of whom missed the CSKA game are likely to return.

Fast-improving Arsenal can creep above United on Saturday if they win at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Fourth-placed Manchester City take on Burnley hoping to end a sequence of four consecutive league draws while Liverpool, who conceded a late equaliser in their disappointing 1-1 Champions League draw at Olympique Lyon, try to revive their flagging season at home to Birmingham City on Monday.

:evil:Fletcher sets sights on psychological edge over Chelsea :whistle

AFP - Thursday, November 5

MANCHESTER (AFP) - – Darren Fletcher believes Manchester United can claim an important psychological edge over Chelsea with a win in Sunday's showdown between the Premier League's top two.

But the Scotland midfielder, who returned to action in Tuesday's 3-3 draw with CSKA Moscow after a month out with an ankle injury, insists the title race will remain wide open, regardless of the outcome at Stamford Bridge, where United have not won in seven years.

"Sunday is a massive game. Games against Chelsea always are," Fletcher said.

"It is not going to be make-or-break who wins the league by any means, although it is an important benchmark.

"Maybe psychologically it might have an effect. But Chelsea are a top-class side and we will respect them."

Fletcher will expect to start at Chelsea given the importance the United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, attaches to his defensive qualities, which were badly missed as United went down to a 2-0 defeat at Liverpool last month.

Even once-sceptical fans have come to recognise what Fletcher brings to the United mix although he insists he is not getting carried away with his growing reputation as a player for the big occasion.

"I take the compliments with a pinch of salt," he said. "I enjoy these matches as much as anyone and I put pressure on myself to perform more than anyone does.

"The challenge of playing against the top-class players that Chelsea have is one I look forward to and I will be doing my best to win the match. But I am not going to make-or-break games like this."

Fletcher admitted that his latest lay-off had taken its toll on his match sharpness.

"It is nice to get back into the team and get 90 minutes under my belt because I have not played for a while," he said.

"I felt fine, which was the most important thing, although I was not 100 percent with my touch and awareness on the pitch. But the game will help and, if selected, I should feel the benefit on Sunday."

United left-back Patrice Evra meanwhile is determined to steer clear of controversy as he seeks to claim bragging rights over Chelsea strike duo, Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba, two of his best friends in football.

Evra was banned for four matches after a post-match altercation with a Chelsea groundsman in April 2008 and still feels that he was treated harshly over an incident he insists he did not provoke.

"It is unfortunate that when I play against Chelsea, something always seems to happen," the France defender said. "First it was the ground-staff, then last year I had a bit of an argument with Michael Ballack. This year I have to make sure nothing happens because we need to get a result."

Evra regards Chelsea as the main threat to United's hopes of claiming a fourth consecutive Premier League title, particularly now that Drogba and Anelka are proving they can play together.

"I am not scared of them but I respect them and they are the most dangerous rivals," he said. "I said it last year and the year before and I think it this season as well.

"Both Drogba and Anelka are good friends of mine. And I know they are both great players.

"All the defenders need to focus because keeping a clean sheet will be the key to winning this game.

"We need to be strong because Drogba and Anelka are two big strikers. They are both so quick and strong, although I do feel we have enough quality to do our jobs."

Tuesday's Champions League clash, in which United had to recover from a 3-1 deficit to claim a draw with a stoppage-time equalisier, underlined the defensive shakiness that has characterised the champions' performances this season, and Evra admits an improvement is required.

"If you concede three goals at home, you can hardly say it has been a good performance from the defenders," he reflected.

"We did well to come back, as we did against Manchester City. But we need to make sure we don't concede three goals on Sunday because then it won't be easy to get back."

Chelsea is still too strong.

Players at peak.

No departures from last season.

most of them has been playing for sometime together already.

my bottom on them to win this year.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

:upsidedown:Premier League - Rooney hat-trick sees off Pompey :eyebrow:

Eurosport - Sat, 28 Nov 16:58:00 2009

A Wayne Rooney hat-trick helped Manchester United to a 4-1 win against Portsmouth in an eventful encounter at soggy Fratton Park.

The England striker converted two disputed penalties and finished off a superb counter-attack, before Ryan Giggs netted his 100th Premier League goal with a late free-kick.

Kevin-Prince Boateng found the net for the home side - also with a controversial spot-kick.

So Avram Grant's career picked up where it left off: losing on penalties to United in the rain.

Eighteen months ago, the Israeli was sacked as Chelsea boss after an epic Champions League final shootout defeat in Moscow.

In his first game in charge of the Premier League's bottom side, United again prevailed but needed some questionable decisions from referee Mike Dean to help them.

Tomasz Kuszczak was surprisingly picked in goal for United, with England's Ben Foster on the bench and Edwin van der Sar absent entirely - still suffering the after-effects of a knock to the knee last weekend.

After a nervous start, the Pole excelled himself, making a superb close-range save from Aruna Dindane and an even better one to tip Jamie O'Hara's volley over.

But Dean proved the central figure. First he pointed to the spot when Rooney stumbled past Michael Brown and made the most of minimal contact on 25 minutes.

While not an outright dive, it was a soft penalty and the England man stepped up to place the kick into the right corner past Asmir Begovic, standing in for the injured David James.

If Pompey felt aggrieved, the sentiment did not last long. Just after the half-hour mark, Kuszczak leapt to punch clear a high ball into the area and Dean mystifyingly awarded a spot-kick.

Neither side had any idea what the supposed infringement was, but a forensic examination of replays shows Nemanja Vidic and Frederic Piquionne were indulging in some mild mutual shirt-tugging.

It was still a baffling decision, since Piquionne was just as guilty as Vidic, but Boateng duly converted from 12 yards.

Sir Alex Ferguson watched the game from the stands, serving the first match of a touchline ban - for which the fourth official's eardrums must be very grateful.

Both sides poured forward. First Paul Scholes dragged one of many long-range efforts just wide, then Dindane headed wide at the culmination of a rapier-like Portsmouth counter-attack.

The first half ended with a scuffle, as Darren Fletcher and Boateng grappled on the turf after the Scot tackled overzealously.

Within three minutes of the restart, United were back in front after a counter-attack that showed them at their incisive best.

Darren Fletcher lofted a pass down the right channel for Giggs, who squared for Rooney and the striker finished low past Begovic.

Then, on 54 minutes, Rooney grabbed his third. Piquionne half-tripped, half-barged Giggs over just inside the box in an innocuous position. While hardly a stone-waller, it was the clearest of the three penalties. Rooney again found the right corner with minimal fuss.

Grant's Portsmouth put on a spirited display and showed signs they may yet beat the drop.

Boateng was especially lively, and tested Kuszczak again from the edge of the box following a Vidic slip, while John Utaka hit the bar with a late volley.

Three minutes from time, Giggs capped an accomplished display with a clever goal, curling a low free-kick around the outside of the wall and into the left corner past the unsighted Begovic.

United rode their luck, but these fixtures are often an exercise in banana skin avoidance, and - without performing at their best - they nimbly dodged a costly slip-up.

Alex Chick / Eurosport

post-2609-1259484984_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

:blink:Van der Sar granted leave after wife collapses

AFP - Wednesday, December 30

MANCHESTER (AFP) - – Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar has been granted indefinite compassionate leave after his wife suffered a brain haemorrhage, according to manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

The 39-year-old former Dutch international, who has been absent since last month's win over Everton with a knee injury, is still regarded as United's number one choice goalkeeper ahead of Thomas Kuszack and Ben Foster when he is fit.

Van de Sar had returned to the Netherlands over the festive period to receive treatment from the national team doctor.

But his 36-year-old wife Annemarie van Kesteren collapsed last Wednesday as Van der Sar and his young family were preparing to celebrate Christmas and the goalkeeper has been granted permission to stay away from Manchester.

Ferguson said: "Annemarie had a problem over in Holland a week ago and has been admitted to hospital. That is the best place for her to be. They have examined her twice and are trying to get to the root of it.

"I have told Edwin to stay over there. There is no point in him being here. The best thing is for him to be with his wife. Hopefully she will make a good recovery."

On the footballing front, Ferguson is convinced that although his side and league leaders Chelsea are seen as the two dominant sides in the Premier League, teams much lower down the table will still believes they have a chance of winning the title this season.

If United beat Wigan on Wednesday, they will close the gap on Chelsea to just two points and only 10 points separate the top five sides.

"It is so tight, when you see it grouped up like that, even teams as low as eighth will think 'maybe we can do it this year' and football is like that," Ferguson added.

"It gives you an optimism that might not be realistic but you should be optimistic about your chances.

"It is that kind of league at the moment which has been lacking a consistent team that can win a few on a row."

When United last played Wigan in August, they comprehensively outclassed the Lancashire side to win 5-0 at the DW Stadium.

Yet Wigan have beaten Aston Villa and Chelsea this season to underline that they are a stronger side than their lowly league position of 15th suggests and Ferguson is determined not to underestimate Wednesday's visitors to Old Trafford.

"I know we have a good record against Wigan but you have to respect the victories they've had against Chelsea and Aston Villa this season and they play football.

"That's the way (manager) Roberto Martinez wants his team to play. He's got a good philosophy so it should be an entertaining match. I'm pleased we've got centre backs back and it makes a difference for us."

United have indeed been buoyed by the return of Wes Brown and Nemanja Vidic - two recognised central defenders - although they are still missing the likes of Rio Ferdinand, John O'Shea and Jonny Evans.

United were forced to employ midfielders Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher in defence earlier this month as their defensive plight looked increasingly desperate but the return of Brown and Vidic for the Hull City match on Sunday has steadied Ferguson's side.

United will be further helped by the unexpected return of Gary Neville to the squad for the Wigan match as he has made hasty progress from his groin problem and Paul Scholes and Anderson will also be back in contention after recovering from slight knocks.

:erm:United Star In Vigil As Wife Fights For Life

Yesterday, 12:11 pm, ©Sky News 2009

Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar is keeping a vigil at his wife's bedside after she suffered a suspected brain haemorrhage.

The 39-year-old former Dutch international, who has been absent since last month's win over Everton with a knee injury, had been given permission to return to the Netherlands over the festive period for treatment from the national team doctor.

But his 36-year-old wife Annemarie van Kesteren collapsed last Wednesday as the couple and their young family were preparing to celebrate Christmas.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson gave him leave to stay away from club duties for as long as he needs.

"Annemarie had a problem over in Holland a week ago and has been admitted to hospital," Sir Alex said.

"That is the best place for her to be. They have examined her twice and are trying to get to the root of it.

"I have told Edwin to stay over there. There is no point in him being here

"The best thing is for him to be with his wife. Hopefully she will make a good recovery."

Van der Sar's agent Rob Jansen said it was "private business" but the star is said to be deeply shocked and is being supported by relatives.

The couple met when he was shopping in Ms van Kesteren's brother's grocery store and they were married in Amsterdam in 2006.

They live in Cheshire and have two children, Joe and Lynn.

Van der Sar, who is Holland's most-capped footballer with 130 appearances, arrived in England in 2001 to join Fulham after a successful spell with Italian giants Juventus.

He joined United in 2005 where he has won three Premier League titles and the Champions League in 2008.

post-2609-1262176266_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

:ooh:Man United's debt rises to 716.5 million pounds

By STUART CONDIE, AP Sports Writer - Thursday, January 21

LONDON – Manchester United's total debt has risen to 716.5 million pounds ($1.17 billion) and could rise even more over the next year, according to club accounts released Wednesday.

The Premier League champions said last week that they had reduced their bank debt to 509 million pounds ($829 million), but the overall increase in the debts of the Glazer-family owned Red Football Joint Venture Ltd. rose 17 million pounds largely because of the punitive interest rates on its so-called payment-in-kind loan.

That debt for the year ending June 30, 2009, increased 27 million pounds to 202 million pounds ($329 million).

And the interest rate on the PIK loan, which was initially for 138 million pounds ($258 million) in August 2006, is scheduled to rise from an already high 14.25 percent to 16.25 percent in August.

United hopes to refinance its debt and reduce interest payments through a 500 million pound ($815 million) bond sale it announced last week.

The overall debt was not contained in the prospectus United issued for the bond sale.

United paid more than 68 million pounds ($110.7 million) in interest last year, almost as much as the world-record 80 million pounds ($131.7 million) it received from Real Madrid in July for Cristiano Ronaldo.

Manager Alex Ferguson has repeatedly said that the debt of the club's holding company, which results from Malcolm Glazer's 2005 takeover, does not impinge upon his running of the team or budget to sign new players.

Red Football said in the report filed to Companies House, the government agency with which businesses must be registered, that one of the four key elements to increasing income was "maintaining playing success."

But United has spent less than a quarter of the fee it got for Ronaldo, bringing in Ecuador international Antonio Valencia, French prospect Gabriel Obertan and free transfer Michael Owen.

The sale of Ronaldo meant that United made an overall profit of 6.4 million pounds ($10.4 million), compared to a 42.7 million pound ($59.3 million) loss 12 months earlier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

:bow::bow::bow:Red Devils pulverise young Gunners !!! :eyebrow:

Fergie hopes for a favour from Arsenal

AFP - Monday, February 1

LONDON (AFP) - – Sir Alex Ferguson has delivered a hammer blow to Arsenal's title hopes but the Manchester United manager believes Arsene Wenger's side can do his team a favour at Chelsea next weekend.

Ferguson was rewarded for an inspired team selection as England forward Wayne Rooney and Portugal winger Nani took advantage of the United manager's tactics to inspire a 3-1 win at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

The champions' impressive victory moved them to within one point of Premier League leaders Chelsea, although Carlo Ancelotti's men can re-establish a four-point advantage on Tuesday if they win their game in hand at Hull.

Ferguson is confident United have the experience and desire to overhaul the Blues, but he has no qualms about admitting he would love to see Arsenal win at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

"The run-in is always a difficult period. We have handled it over the years and I am trusting them to handle it again," Ferguson said.

"We hope Chelsea drop points obviously and they will be saying the same about ourselves.

"Arsenal are not out of it and I hope they go to Stamford Bridge next Sunday and batter them. I hope they can get some points off them."

Judging by Arsenal's tame surrender against United - a lacklustre performance which echoed the Gunners' 3-0 home defeat against Chelsea in November - Ferguson shouldn't invest too much hope in Arsenal tripping up their London rivals.

Wenger's team showed their mental fragility by crumbling as soon as goalkeeper Manuel Almunia pushed Nani's cross into his own net in the 33rd minute.

With Arsenal's morale in tatters, Rooney capped a breathtaking counter-attack that covered the length of the pitch with a perfect finish to claim his 100th Premier League goal four minutes later.

South Korea winger Park Ji-Sung took advantage of woeful Arsenal defending to slot home United's third goal early in the second half and Thomas Vermaelen's volleyed goal in the 80th minute was scant consolation for the hosts.

Deployed by Ferguson as a lone forward, Rooney tormented Arsenal's back four and he rightly earned praise from the Scot for the kind of influential display that made him such a formidable force this season.

But Ferguson also reserved a special mention for Nani, who was moved across the left to right wing and ruthlessly exploited Arsenal left-back Gael Clichy.

Nani was in Ferguson's bad books earlier in the season for expressing his unhappiness at his lack of playing time, but he has been revitalised over the last fortnight.

The stunning piece of skill which saw him flick the ball between his legs to bewilder Clichy and Samir Nasri in the build-up to United's first goal was testament to his new-found confidence.

"The boy has come back from an injury freshened up and his last three games have been first class. This was his best performance for us," Ferguson said.

"Maturity is one reason, he is 23 now. He is a very shy boy and maybe his personality is getting stronger to deal with playing for us every week."

While Ferguson showered praise on his stars, Wenger was unusually acerbic when asked to assess Arsenal's latest letdown against a title rival.

Wenger, whose side were beaten for the first time in 11 league games, knows Chelsea could be eight points ahead of Arsenal before kick-off next weekend and he conceded it will take a major effort to recover from such a dispiriting defeat.

"Next Sunday we have to deliver a better performance before we think about winning the game," he said. "We have to focus completely on delivering a different performance.

"We were naive. We never had any cohesion, offensively or defensively. We were completely not at our level. Why? I believe there are some mental reasons in there."

"We were never close with our marking. You do not win big games because of that.

"We need to deliver something special now to stay in the race. Of course I am conscious of that."

post-2609-1265037255_thumb.jpg

post-2609-1265037265_thumb.jpg

post-2609-1265037275_thumb.jpg

post-2609-1265037462_thumb.jpg

This game was awesome.

It was already 2-0 up but I was still glued to the TV.

end to end stuff and Manure, I mean Man U really step up a gear man or prob a couple of gears.

Arsenal boys simply had no answer.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

:eyebrow:Rooney double inspires United to first win in Milan

AFP - Wednesday, February 17

ROME (AFP) – Wayne Rooney was the hero as Manchester United made AC Milan look old in a 3-2 win in the Champions League last 16 first leg clash here on Tuesday to record their first ever victory in the San Siro.

Rooney scored a brace as Milan's old legs finally caught up with them as United came from behind to win at a canter until some late drama that saw United's Michael Carrick dismissed in injury time for a second booking.

Ronaldinho gave Milan an early lead but after Paul Scholes's fortuitous equaliser Sir Alex Ferguson's side gradually took control and by the end they threatened to run up a cricket score.

Substitute Clarence Seedorf's clever backheel finish from Ronaldinho's cross five minutes from time was the only thing that gives the Italians hope for the second leg at Old Trafford.

"I thought we were coasting at 3-1," said Ferguson.

"But we've given them hope by allowing them to score towards the end.

"We just have to do the job at Old Trafford and win the match."

Ferguson admitted that it hadn't been a great performance by his side in the first-half.

"It was a catalogue of errors," said the Scotsman.

"Once we settled, though, we did a lot better."

His AC Milan counterpart Leonardo could scarcely believe his side had lost.

"We did not deserve to lose this match," said the Brazilian.

"But nothing is finished. We have to win 2-0 in England, which is certainly not beyond us. When we got into our stride, we dominated United.

"Indeed the first-half could have ended 3-0 in our favour."

Rooney for his part was not best pleased with some of his team-mates for the first-half struggles.

"Some people weren't doing their job," said Rooney, who looked frustrated by the service from the flanks of Nani especially.

"We did well to get back in the game and in the second-half we were better and deserved to win. We were the better side."

Milan were off to a dream start, taking the lead after only three minutes and appropriately United old boy David Beckham was involved.

His free-kick into the box was only helped on by Patrice Evra and fell kindly to Ronaldinho at the back post who caught it on the volley and a wicked deflection off Carrick took it past a helpless Edwin van der Sar.

"It took a wicked deflection," was Ferguson's acerbic response to a question about Beckham's contribution to the goal.

United drew level on 36 minutes.

If Milan's opener owed something to luck, United's equaliser was no more lacking in that department.

Darren Fletcher crossed from the right for Scholes arriving in the box but he missed with his swinging right foot and the ball hit his standing left leg, spun beyond Dida and trickled in off the post.

Milan almost caught United napping again three minutes into the second period as Pato stole in unchecked onto Giuseppe Favalli's deep cross but the young Brazilian headed over.

Nani was having one of his more erratic days and Ferguson replaced him with Antonio Valencia halfway through the second period, a move that bore fruit within a minute as the Ecuador flyer got to the byline and crossed for Rooney at the back post to flick a floating header over Dida for his 25th goal of the season.

United were now content to hit Milan on the counter and Rooney flashed a shot just wide on 73 minutes but a minute later he ran onto Fletcher's dink into the box past a static defence to head easily past Dida.

United were cruising until a late lapse allowed in Seedorf, who had replaced Beckham, to lift the crowd and give the visitors a nervous last few minutes.