MANCHESTER UNITED...the RED DEVILS march on !!!

kueytoc

• SRC Member
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

:pirate::pirate::pirate:SELL !...SELL !...SELL !

'United will sell Ron for £85million'

By NEIL CUSTIS

Published: Today

CRISTIANO RONALDO is heading for a showdown with Alex Ferguson amid claims Manchester United will sell their star for £85million.

Reports in Spain yesterday insisted United's chief executive David Gill had quoted Real Madrid president Florentino Perez £85m for the winger.

But Ronaldo, on holiday in Los Angeles, will have to put in a transfer request and tell United boss Fergie eye-to-eye that he wants to quit Old Trafford for the Bernabeu.

Ferguson flew out to Lisbon last summer to persuade Ronaldo, 24, to stay with the Red Devils after a summer in which the player pushed for a move to Madrid.

But Fergie will not go chasing the player this time - and the meeting will be on his terms back in Manchester.

Once again, he will try to talk him round.

But the growing feeling is that if a world-record bid comes in and the player is again adamant he wants out, then a deal will be done.

SunSport revealed before the Champions League final that Ronaldo had told close friends he wanted a new challenge.

The Portugal ace is now relishing the chance to be part of the revival at Real under returning club president Perez.

Even though Perez has already splashed £62m on Kaka from AC Milan, he is willing to smash that world transfer figure again for Ronaldo.

post-2609-1244688786.jpg

• SRC Member

Man Utd accept Real Madrid's £80m Ronaldo bid

post-5684-1244716672.jpg

Manchester United have accepted an £80m offer from Real Madrid for Cristiano Ronaldo.

Cristiano Ronaldo's last game for United was the Champions League final defeat to Barca

A statement on the United website confirmed that a deal for the 24-year-old should be completed by the end of the month.

''Manchester United have received a world-record, unconditional offer of £80million for Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid.

''At Cristiano's request - who has again expressed his desire to leave - and after discussion with the player's representatives, United have agreed to give Real Madrid permission to talk to the player.

''Matters are expected to be concluded by 30 June. The club will not comment until further notice.''

Ronaldo has long been a target for the Spanish giants, whose president Florentino Perez vowed earlier this week to do ''everything possible'' to take the 24-year-old to the Bernabeu.

It is now certain that a second era of "Galacticos" has begun at Madird, with news of Ronaldo's £80m deal coming in the same week Perez agreed a £59m, deal to sign Kaka.

The news is bound to be greeted with some scepticism by United fans who have repeatedly been told no deal had been agreed for the sale of FIFA's world player of the year in the face of regular statements from Spain the former Sporting Lisbon star was bound for the Bernabeu.

It was even suggested Ronaldo would be due a £20m compensation fee from Real if the deal did not go through by June 30, the date United now state themselves is when they expect matters to be concluded.

As it now seems a matter of when, rather than if a world record transfer will be completed, Sir Alex Ferguson might wish to explain why he has gone back on his famous comment in December last year that he would not ''sell that mob a virus''.

It is the first time for many years United would have allowed a player to leave they were not happy about losing.

Yet some supporters may be pleased that at least another drawn-out transfer saga, such as the one 12 months ago, is not played out in public.

At least the money could be reinvested in a squad that almost, but not quite proved good enough to win back-to-back Champions League trophies, in addition to a hat-trick of Premier League titles.

In reshaping a squad that looks almost certain to lose Carlos Tevez as well, Ferguson might be able to offer Wayne Rooney a more permanent central striking role and fulfil the promise he has shown on the international stage this season.

The name of Bayern Munich's Franck Ribery is bound to crop up as a potential replacement, although the 27-year-old seems hugely overpriced at the £40m figure being bandied about in some quarters, with Wigan's Antonio Valencia also in the frame.

Ferguson will certainly be making plans already to ensure his new faces are on board before United head to Asia for their pre-season tour five weeks from today.

Amid the frenzy over Ronaldo's impending departure, it is bound to be asked whether the current debt hanging over United of almost £700m has played any part in the decision to accept Real's huge bid.

While Ferguson has always backed the Glazer family for the backing he has received, supporters will now be interested to see whether their manager is handed all the funds received from Spain, plus an annual transfer kitty said to be around £25m.

With Edwin van der Sar, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville all reaching the end of their careers, it promises to be a far more testing summer than Ferguson might have realised.

And, for all the petulance and pouting for which Ronaldo is so famed, filling the void created by the loss of his immense talent may prove difficult.

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

:pirate::pirate::pirate:Let Him GO !!!

Transfers - Cristiano Ronaldo: The full saga

Eurosport - Thu, 11 Jun 10:04:00 2009

A blow-by-blow account of the Cristiano Ronaldo transfer war between Manchester United and Real Madrid

27 January 2007 - Sir Alex Ferguson: "We sell players we want to sell and there is absolutely no way Cristiano Ronaldo is leaving."

29 January 2007 - Ronaldo: "I know about Real Madrid's interest but I cannot speak about it. I have discussed the matter with Alex Ferguson and Carlos Queiroz and they have prohibited me from talking about Real Madrid."

6 February 2007 - Barcelona vice-president Ferran Soriano says the club have the funds to buy Ronaldo: "Barça can sign anybody they want in economic terms; the only limit is common sense."

9 February 2007 - Ferguson: "When [Real and Barcelona have] got a big game they can fill their grounds but they don't fill it every week. Old Trafford is full every week."

15 February 2007 - Sporting Lisbon's former youth-team coach reveals that Real Madrid turned down the chance to sign Ronaldo in 2003

16 February 2007 - Ferguson says he is confident that United will hold on to Ronaldo: "I am very confident. Very, very confident."

19 February 2007 - Internazionale president Massimo Moratti declares his interest, with the Serie A champions tipped to table a £35m bid.

8 March 2007 - Ronaldo: "Everyone knows that I love Spain. I would like to play in Spain one day. However I am happy here at Manchester. If I don't leave now, if I leave in two, three, four, five years, I would be happy. I am at a great club."

21 March 2007 - Ronaldo: "I consider myself a United footballer who is playing well and trying to help the team. If things keep going well, I want to stay here. I'm not a Galactico. I'm only thinking about United and I want to stay here for more than two more years."

13 April 2007 - Ronaldo pens a new five-year contract, saying: "I am delighted. I spoke with Sir Alex and [chief executive] David Gill about my future and everyone knew that I wanted to stay. I am very happy at the club and I want to win trophies and hopefully we will do that this season."

22 April 2007 - Ronaldo wins both PFA Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year awards.

11 January 2008 - David Gill: "There's no chance of us selling him. Absolutely no way, whatever the money."

22 January 2008 - Ronaldo's mother says she could "die happy" if her son moves to Real.

23 January 2008 - Real sporting director Predrag Mijatovic: "I see it as an impossible signing. Of course it would not be bad for us to have a player like Cristiano Ronaldo, but he is at a great club like Manchester United."

2 April 2008 - Real coach Bernd Schuster: "In these types of things it is best to be realistic. Cristiano Ronaldo right now is a ten out of ten, the best in the world. But I don't see Manchester United as being in the business of selling."

2 May 2008 - Ronaldo is voted Footballer of the Year - only the second player to win the award in successive seasons since its introduction 60 years ago.

11 May 2008 - Real say they are willing to pay 120 million euros (£100m) for Ronaldo.

16 May 2008 - Ronaldo: "I have said a thousand times that I have one dream - to play in Spain. Sometimes your dreams don't come true but I dream, I still dream, and I am happy at Manchester United, but the future? Nobody knows."

20 May 2008 - Gill: "He's got four more years until 2012, he's been with us for five years and we're sure he'll be with us for many years to come. He's clearly one of the best players in the world and he's at a great club, winning trophies."

23 May 2008 - Ferguson condemns Real's lack of moral fibre, comparing them to former fascist dictator General Franco: "Do you not think we've had much interest from the big clubs in Europe about our best players? Of course we have, but they don't get into the nonsense Real get into. They've no moral issues at all. They think that they can ride roughshod over everyone, but they won't with us."

27 May 2008 - United threaten to report Real to FIFA over their attempt to buy Ronaldo, condemning their behaviour as "totally unacceptable" just hours after Real coach Bernd Schuster describes Ronaldo as: "The big priority for the club."

5 June 2008 - Ronaldo: "I would like to play for Real Madrid but only if it is true they are ready to pay what Manchester United ask of them. However, it does not depend on me."

6 June 2008 - Ronaldo's mother claims her son will stay at Old Trafford next season. "He is fine where he is," said Dolores Aveiro. "The future only God knows, but what is sure is that he is going to continue in England."

7 June 2008 - United captain Rio Ferdinand urges Ronaldo to stay, saying: "I want Ronny to stay and help us win more. We want to achieve things because we can. You can't stand still."

9 June 2008 - United make an official complaint about Real to FIFA.

11 June 2008 - Madrid president Ramon Calderon insists that he will not be put off Ronaldo by any asking price.

16 June 2008 - FIFA ask the Spanish Football Federation to keep their eye on Real Madrid.

19 June 2008 - Real Madrid say they are waiting for Ronaldo to make the first move that would allow them to start negotiations with United.

19 June 2008 - The 23-year-old tells reporters after Portugal's 3-2 Euro 2008 quarter-final defeat by Germany that there was a strong possibility he would leave Old Trafford.

20 June 2008 - United reiterate that he is "not for sale" in a statement.

21 June 2008 - Ronaldo describes a move to Real as "a dream" and "a step forward", and says he does not mind if he upsets Ferguson: "It is my decision. It is what I want. I don't know what I have to say to him. I have to say what I want and what I think."

22 June 2008 - Real boss Bernd Schuster claims he woud pay 100 million euros (around £80 million) to seal Ronaldo's move.

5 July 2008 - Real president Ramon Calderon admits that Ronaldo is "likely to stay" at United as any move would require "Manchester to want it".

7 July 2008 - Ronaldo undergoes surgery on his ankle in Amsterdam. Calderon, meanwhile, claims that: "If I was Manchester United I'd be happy and proud to be able to negotiate such a transfer for one of my players. Everything would be a lot easier if United realised that they could pull off the transfer of the century."

9 July 2008 - FIFA President Sepp Blatter says United should let Ronaldo leave, claiming their refusal to sell him equates to "modern slavery".

10 July 2008 - Ronaldo says he "agrees completely" with Blatter's remarks comparing him to a slave, adding that he has no idea where he will be playing next season.

13 July 2008 - Portugal's national team doctors confirm that Ronaldo will not play for 12 weeks as he recovers from ankle surgery.

18 July 2008 - Sir Alex Ferguson claims Ronaldo will definitely stay at United following talks with the winger in Lisbon.

20 July 2008 - Ronaldo says his future is still undecided despite talks with Ferguson, saying: "I don't know about the future."

22 July 2008 - David Gill reminds anyone who has spent the last two years in a coma that Ronaldo is not for sale.

5 August 2008 - Real sign of Dutch international midfielder Rafael van der Vaart from Hamburg. Calderon implies Real have given up on Ronaldo by saying: "He [Van der Vaart] is the first and almost certainly the last signing we will make this season." Hours later, Ferguson says: "The matter is closed now. He is a Manchester United player, it's finished."

7 August 2008 - Ronaldo confirms that he will stay at United, saying: "Before rumours emerge saying that I will play against my will, I want to make this clear - whoever says or writes that is lying. I will play for Manchester with all my heart and soul. I will fight and honour that shirt with the same commitment and dedication as always." But Ronaldo refuses to rule out a future move to the Bernabeu.

8 October 2008 - Real Madrid forward, Ruud van Nistelrooy says he is confident Ronaldo will be joining next summer. The former Manchester United man says, "one day Ronaldo will join us. This could happen next summer, or the one after,"

2 December 2008 - Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or.

10 December 2008 - Real Madrid manager, Bernd Schuster, states his belief that Ronaldo will be joining them next summer, "I think that next year it is going to be a little more complicated for his club to retain him. There is hope that next year he could be with us, you need to do everything possible because this player is worth it,"

11 December 2008 - Ramon Calderon says that the Ronaldo transfer saga has all instigated by Ronaldo. "The player said he wanted to come here, a dream to come to Real Madrid and we received and we were happy to know that. After that I talked to Manchester but David Gill was very clear and said they didn't want to sell at all. We want to have a good relation with all the big clubs in Europe and Manchester is one of the best and I like to have a good relationship with them forever, and they said for the moment no."

18 December 2008 - Real Madrid director Pedro Trapote reveals that Real Madrid has already signed Ronaldo. But they cannot officially announce it due to contractual reasons. Despite this, he states: "If you are asking me what we are going to do now then I would tell you that we have already signed the best player for the summer. The best of the best. It is Cristiano, there is no other. It is best to not say anything because there are some clauses that prevent us from announcing it now. For us it would be a good time, but we should not do that."

1 January 2009 - Ronaldo says the situation has all been a lie and accuses people of lying about his situation: "What people are saying now is not true. Who says that is a liar because I am happy at the club, I want to stay here. I feel at home here. I feel very happy here."

8 January 2009 - Ronaldo crashes his £200,000 Ferrari 599 GTP Fiorano in a tunnel near Manchester airport.

14 January 2009 - Alex Ferguson states that Ronaldo: "Owes a lot to Manchester United for nurturing and encouraging him in the proper way at the right times."

16 January 2009 - Ramon Calderon quits as Real Madrid president following allegations of vote rigging. Florentino Perez (he of the Galactico era) becomes the favourite to take over and rumours begin to circulate that the signing of Ronaldo will be on Perez's list.

17 February 2009 - Acting Real Madrid president, Vicente Bolouda reiterates his club's confidence that Ronaldo will come to the Spanish capital. "I am convinced we will see him at the Bernabeu."

21 March 2009 - Fernao Sousa, Ronaldo's godfather, encourages him to leave Manchester United, thinking Real will make him an offer he can't refuse: "The mistake last year was to speak about Madrid so much. This year hardly anyone is saying anything and it is certain the transfer will go much better."

6 April 2009 - Ronaldo told to stop being a wuss by double Olympic champion, Usain Bolt. Interestingly, the Jamaican believes that he needs to behave more like Wayne Rooney.

18 April 2009 - Ronaldo is happy and wants to win more trophies with the Red Devils. "I am very happy here. I want to win more trophies here. At the moment I think I am at the right club. And I want to win trophies next season as well."

5 May 2009 - Manchester United have a reported bid of £60 million bid for Bayern Munich's Franck Ribery rejected. Is this a hint that they are lining up a replacement for Ronaldo.

10 May 2009 - Ronaldo reacts angrily to being substituted by Alex Ferguson against Manchester City

12 May 2009 - Spanish newspaper, El Pais, reports Ronaldo and Manchester United have signed agreements on the deal.

27 May 2009 - United lose the Champions League final 2-0 to Barcelona prompting Ronaldo to describe Ferguson's tactics as "not good".

2 June 2009 - Newly elected Real president Florentino Perez describes Ronaldo as a "model" signing as reports emerge the Spanish club will pay him £20m if they FAIL to sign him in the summer.

11 June 2009 - United confirm they have accepted an £80m bid for Ronaldo from Real Madrid, saying the player asked to leave Old Trafford.

Compiled by Alex Chick and Dan Rumens / Eurosport

• SRC Member

:whistle:whistle:whistleRonaldo to leave Manchester United for Real Madrid

Fri 12 Jun, 02:32 AM

MANCHESTER (AFP) - Manchester United have agreed to sell Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid for a world record 80 million pounds, the club said.

"Manchester United have received a world-record, unconditional offer of 80 million pounds for Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid," said a statement on its website, under the headline "Reds accept £80m Ronaldo bid."

The statement continued: "At Cristiano's request - who has again expressed his desire to leave - and after discussion with the player's representatives, United have agreed to give Real Madrid permission to talk to the player.

"Matters are expected to be concluded by 30 June. The club will not comment until further notice."

Ronaldo described his move as "historic", according to comments in the British press Friday.

"The deal is historic -- that is quite a sum of money," the 24-year-old was quoted as saying in the Daily Mirror from Los Angeles, where he is on holiday with his family. <_<

"It's flattering when two of the top teams in the world want you to play for them.

"I learned about the deal here in LA and have heard from my people that Manchester United has accepted. However, I have also been told that Madrid want to have a medical team look at me as expected.

"I am on vacation and will remain in LA for a bit more."

Real confirmed they had approached United with a bid for Ronaldo but gave no indication of the fee involved.

"The club hopes to reach an agreement with the player in the coming days," a statement on the club website read.

Ronaldo's United and Portugal team-mate Nani admits his compatriot will be missed, but he believes the English champions have enough quality to guarantee more success in the future.

"Cristiano's departure is not impossible to fix," Nani said. "He will be missed but United have other players who can replace him."

Ronaldo has long been a target for the Spanish giants, whose recently-returned president Florentino Perez vowed earlier this week to do "everything possible" to take the 24-year-old to the Bernabeu.

The news comes just days after Real clinched the 56-million-pound transfer of Brazilian playmaker Kaka from Italian side AC Milan as they look to compete with arch-rivals Barcelona on the domestic front and such as Manchester United and Chelsea in the Champions League.

United fans have repeatedly been told no deal had been agreed for the sale of FIFA's world player of the year in the face of regular statements from Spain the former Sporting Lisbon star was bound for the Bernabeu.

But it has been reported in England that Ronaldo, who is currently on holiday in Los Angeles, earlier this year had agreed a pre-contract with the Spanish club worth 8.3 million pounds a year over the next five years.

He has been keen to join Real for 18 months and it took a last-ditch plea from United boss Sir Alex Ferguson to persuade him to stay at Old Trafford last year.

Ronaldo, who joined United for 12 million pounds in 2003, had made it clear he wanted a new challenge after winning the Champions League in 2008. But Ferguson flew to Lisbon and talked him into one more year with United before reporting Real to FIFA for an illegal approach.

However, Ronaldo, who is contracted to United until 2012, was never fully embraced by fans or team-mates after his flirtation with Real.

His name was sung less at Old Trafford and there was a noticable drop-off in his performances. Although he scored 18 league goals and helped United to the Premier League title, Ronaldo was often an uninterested bystander for long periods in matches.

Cracks in his relationship with Ferguson began to show when Ronaldo reacted angrily to being substituted against Manchester City and then criticised the United manager's tactics after the Champions League final defeat to Barcelona.

He clearly feels he is in danger of growing stale and the chance to be part of Real's new galaticos project will appeal to a player never shy of playing on his star quality.

Ferguson had previously insisted he "wouldn't sell that mob a virus" when asked about the possibility of allowing Ronaldo to join Real.

But the Scot has run out of patience with Ronaldo's hankering to move to Spain and has finally decided to cash in on his prize asset. United's debts of 700 million pounds must also have played a role in the club's decision to accept the offer.

Ronaldo scored 118 goals for United, including 42 in 2007-08 alone, and it will hard for Ferguson to replace the star.

Moves for one or more of Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery, Wigan's Antonio Valencia and Lyon forward Karim Benzema would go someway to filling the void.

Real's cash could allow Ferguson to keep Carlos Tevez, who had appeared close to leaving after United refused to meet the 32 million pounds price tag set by his economic rights holders, although the two parties remain apart on the Argentine's wage demands.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he expected United to be stronger from the sale of Ronaldo.

"He's one of the most brilliant players in the world. I think people will be sad that he's lost to the game in England," Brown said of Ronaldo.

"At the same time, I know Sir Alex Ferguson well, and I know he'll have plans that will be rebuilding and renewing his team," he told BBC.

"And I would expect that Manchester United and English football will emerge not weaker, but emerge in a new way and probably stronger in the long run".

post-2609-1244771379.jpg

post-2609-1244771388.jpg

post-2609-1244771394.jpg

post-2609-1244771400.jpg

• SRC Member

:whistle:whistle:whistleThis time he really is off

Fri Jun 12 01:11PM

Well, that hardly came as a surprise did it?

Except for the size of the fee, it had been an open secret around Old Trafford that a deal had been struck last summer that Cristiano Ronaldo could leave this year for Real Madrid, so long as he hung on for another season, thus saving United's face. This after all, is a club that, in 22 years of Alex Ferguson's tenure has never let go a player they didn't want to leave.

Also, back then, Ferguson had been convinced that within a year he could persuade the player to stay in Manchester, that his future lay with a club at the height of its powers. After all, why would he want to leave a team contending for the highest honours for one that is coming a distant second in its own country?

But Ferguson was faced with a task impossible even for a man of his persuasiveness. Madrid's siren call was always significant for a player who grew up, like many a kid on the Iberian peninsula, regarding playing for Real as the ultimate footballing ambition. And if the club are mad enough to pay you a starting salary of £183,000 a week, rising by 25 per cent a year to £556,000 a week by the time your contract expires in five years' time, well it helps you realise it is the place you always wanted to play.

The United manager began to realise early into what turned out to be Ronaldo's last season that maybe he should start planning for life without Cristiano. He had dealt with egos before. Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Ruud van Nistelrooy: these are not players uncertain of their own worth. But it wasn't Ronaldo's astonishing depths of self-regard that worried the United manager. It was his attitude.

Increasingly he was tetchy on the field, not prepared to track back, endlessly falling over, behaving as if permanently victimised. Plus there was his attitude to his team-mates, the ill-concealed look of contempt when a pass did not arrive perfectly at his feet. Sure, there were still the goals, lots of them and important ones too, goals that accrued points, goals that made the difference. But this was no longer a team player. This was someone playing for himself and his own legend. And Ferguson doesn't much admire that sort of attitude.

The breaking point came during the Manchester derby at Old Trafford in May. With fixtures piling up like jets over Heathrow, Ferguson wished to preserve his best player for battles ahead. With an hour gone and the game effectively won, he ordered the number seven to be illuminated on the substitute's board. When he saw he was to be taken off, Ronaldo looked visibly appalled. He stormed off the pitch, snatched a tracksuit offered by a member of United's staff and flung it to the ground. He then sat in the home dug out shaking his head in an extended, unabashed and very public sulk.

Apparently, his mother was in attendance that day and he wanted to show off to her. Generally, Ferguson tends not to place the desire to please a player's mum above the needs of his team. That was it, the moment he realised he had to let the player go. By the time of the Champions League final, the player was halfway to Madrid. Which may explain the intense antipathy demonstrated during the game by the Barcelona captain Carlos Puyol, a lifetime Madrid loather: he was getting his kicks in early.

And it was Ferguson's choice. Despite the conspiracy theorists gathering outside Old Trafford yesterday who assumed the Glazer family had snatched at Madrid's offer in the urgent requirement of using the transfer fee to pay off some of their gargantuan debt, they had, in fact, left the decision to the manager, a man of whom they are said to be terrified.

So what now for United? Whatever his state of mind, losing their most effective player is a huge blow. Though Madrid have gifted them the funds in order to do so, you wonder if even three players bought in could adequately replace him. Sure, Antonio Valencia, Franck Ribery and Karim Benzema are all pretty useful. Even between them they might struggle to guarantee the goals and points Ronaldo brought on his own.

As for the fans, well it is something of a relief. Sure, they will miss the goals. Sure they will miss the runs, the stepovers, the free-kicks. But at least now they will be able to rejoin the rest of football-supporting humanity in publicly acknowledging what they have long known but have previously been constrained by loyalty from articulating: that Ronaldo, he really is an arrogant prat, isn't he?

• SRC Member

:pirate::pirate::pirate:Premier League - Ronaldo: I love to be hated

Eurosport - Sun, 14 Jun 19:39:00 2009

Cristiano Ronaldo has said he does not care if his proposed £80 million move to Real Madrid makes him an object of hate.

The Portugal winger, who looks to be on the way out of Manchester United, claims he wants to "re-write the history of football".

Ronaldo is set to seal a world record transfer to the Spanish giants this summer after United accepted a bid.

He said in an interview with French magazine So Foot as reported in the News of the World: "I love it when people jeer me. I love to see the hate in their eyes, to hear the insults. It doesn't bother me.

"It's true lots of people hate me but there are even more who love me and who support me. I feel bad only when I play badly. Fortunately, that happens rarely."

He added: "I still have a long way to go. I really want to re-write the history of football. I am aware I'm already among the best of the best but I want to continue to write many more beautiful pages."

Meanwhile, Sir Alex Ferguson believes Manchester United did well to Cristiano Ronaldo at Old Trafford for as long as they did before finally succumbing to Real Madrid's advances.

Ferguson insists it was out of the question to expect the player to stay any longer, telling The Mail on Sunday; "He wanted to leave, it's as simple as that. He was going to go some time."

"We've done well to keep him for so long."

Madrid's record swoop for the FIFA World Player of the Year is set to be concluded by June 30

PA Sport

• SRC Member

:whistle:whistle:whistleChampions League - Six-match ban for Drogba

Eurosport - Wed, 17 Jun 23:30:00 2009

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has been given a six-match European ban for his outburst during the club's Champions League semi-final against Barcelona.

Ivory Coast captain Drogba harangued Norwegian referee Tom Henning Ovrebo after the final whistle before directing a foul-mouthed tirade at a television camera.

The final two matches of the ban are suspended for two years.

Jose Bosingwa was given a four-game ban, with the final match suspended for two years, for also being "in breach of the principles of sportsmanship by insulting the referee by making offensive comments".

Chelsea were fined £85,000 for the improper conduct of their players and the throwing of missiles by their fans.

Either the club or the players may appeal against the decision within three days and Chelsea said on their website that they are considering a response.

Barcelona went through to the final against Manchester United on away goals after the match at Stamford Bridge ended in a 1-1 draw.

A tense semi-final second leg turned nasty when Barcelona's Andres Iniesta scored in the third minute of stoppage time to level an early goal by Michael Essien, sending Chelsea out of the competition on the away goals rule.

Drogba, and other Chelsea players, were furious that several strong penalty claims had been turned down during the match.

Bosingwa later described the referee as "a thief" when talking to Portuguese television. Both players later apologised for their reactions.

Chelsea's Germany captain Michael Ballack escaped any punishment despite charging after Ovrebo when another penalty appeal was waved away as they searched for a last-gasp winner.

Eurosport

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

:pirate::pirate::pirate:

"Alex Ferguson is a great judge of a player, he's very brave with his decisions and that's why he's been a great success. Who the players will be I don't know, but they will be worthy of putting on the shirt for Manchester United." - Sir Bobby Charlton

18/06/2009 13:46, Report by Steve Bartram

New signings 'will be worthy'

Sir Bobby Charlton is confident that Sir Alex Ferguson will make the right signings to compensate for Cristiano Ronaldo's impending departure.

The Portuguese winger is set to join Real Madrid for a staggering £80million, prompting a whirlwind of speculation over who will be replacing him.

Speaking at a press conference in China to launch United's sponsorship deal with aigo, Sir Bobby said: "I'll have to leave that (deciding how to replace Ronaldo) to Alex Ferguson.

"He is a great judge of a player, he's very brave with his decisions, he's very decisive with his decisions and that's why he's been a great success. Who the players will be I don't know, but they will be worthy of putting on the shirt for Manchester United."

Charlton concedes that there was little point in trying to coax Ronaldo away from his childhood dream of joining Real, although he feels that hindsight may show the winger that his best days of his career were at Old Trafford.

"He is a great player," he said. "He's been with us for five or six years and in that time he has improved beyond all recognition. I suppose, in time, he will reflect, and say that the best time he ever had in football was when he was at Manchester United. It was better for him and it was fantastic for the club.

"But we have no divine rights, we talked him out of it for one year but he's gone and we move on. Ronaldo leaves us because as a young boy he always dreamt about playing for Real Madrid, so if he leaves us, it's with our blessing.

"It's a lot of money, but it's a little bit soul-searching. You never know if you've made the right decision until the start of the season. It's an enormous amount. We will make sure we will use it properly and our club will be better for it."

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

:unsure:Owen joins United !!! :pinch:

03/07/2009 18:40, Report by Press Department

Manchester United is delighted to announce that it has signed Michael Owen on a two-year contract. The striker was out of contract, so no transfer fee is involved. :ph34r:

Sir Alex Ferguson said: "Michael is a world class forward with a proven goalscoring record at the highest level and that has never been in question. Coming to Manchester United with the expectations that we have is something that Michael will relish.â€

Michael Owen said: "I had just begun to talk to other clubs when out of the blue Sir Alex phoned me on Wednesday afternoon, invited me to have breakfast with him the next morning during which he told me that he wanted to sign me. I agreed without a moment's thought.

"This is a fantastic opportunity for me and I intend to seize it with both hands. I am now looking forward to being a Manchester United player and I am fortunate that I already know so many of the players here. I missed pre-season last year and am pleased that I will be starting at Carrington from day one.

"I want to thank Sir Alex for the faith he has shown in me and I give him my assurance that I will repay him with my goals and performances.â€

"This is a fantastic opportunity for me and I intend to seize it with both hands."

- Michael Owen

Owen Factfile

DOB: 14 December 1979

Former clubs: Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle United

Club record: 322 apps, 157 goals

International record: England, 89 caps, 40 goals

Honours

UEFA Cup, 2001

UEFA Super Cup, 2001

FA Cup, 2001

League Cup, 2001, 2003

European Footballer of the Year, 2001

post-2609-1246787848.jpg

• SRC Member

:wacko:Owen: Reds can reignite my career :unsure:

03/07/2009 19:13, Report by Adam Bostock

Here's a transcript of Michael Owen's exclusive interview with MUTV's Mandy Henry...

How does it feel to have signed for Manchester United?

It feels great. I never even had it in my wildest dreams really but then I got the call from the manager to come and meet him. It was a shock but I’m obviously really happy and things have moved quickly since then.

Players probably don’t need much persuasion to move to a club like United but what did the manager have to say to you?

We just discussed football really and the pros and cons of signing myself. Thankfully there were more pros than cons. So we talked about football and left David Gill and my agent to talk about the rest. From my point of view, I just wanted to talk about football. Then it was a case of show me the paperwork and where I have to sign. I’m delighted to have signed.

I presume at the end of last season you didn’t think you’d be playing for Manchester United this season?

No, but I’ve been here in the past. I came here a couple of times as a kid, and I played in a tournament up north for Man United. I knew Brian Kidd quite well, I met the manager and even in the last few years, you speak to players and other people, I had an idea that the manager still thought I had something. So I clung to the hope that he would come and ask me to play for him one day. I probably had a poor spell up at Newcastle but prior to that, my career was very good and I’m sure a top club like this can reignite my career. Hopefully I can score a few goals and help the team to more success.

The fans will be desperate to know how your fitness is because you’ve obviously had a torrid time with injuries in the past few years...

I’d like to think that everyone was quite surprised at how (good) my medical was. I knew I would pass my medical, I’ve obviously passed them before. My fitness is fine. A lot is made of it and probably a lot will come out in the coming months and years but I certainly don’t feel like I’m injury prone. I’ve had a lot of injuries since I was at Newcastle - but anybody would get injured if someone jumped on their foot. I can name loads of players, and probably half a dozen here, who’ve broken a metatarsal. That almost set me on my way to having a couple of injuries subsequently because I didn’t get that first one right. I’m 29, I’ve played off the top of my head 500-plus games at the highest level. For me to play that many games, I think everyone would agree you can’t be on the treatment table all the time. But it is my plan to improve on my injury record. I know the medical staff here are really highly thought of so hopefully I can work with them and make sure I’m available for every game.

You obviously know Wayne Rooney from the England set-up but how much are you looking forward to teaming up with him and Dimitar Berbatov?

I am, and there are so many top players here obviously, so it’s a very exciting time for me. You get the call that United want to speak to you, and then you sign, and everything happens so quickly. As soon as you sign, you think, I’m going to start playing football soon with the players you spoke about then. There are fantastic players throughout the squad and that’s why they’ve all won so much in their careers so far. Hopefully I can jump on the bandwagon, help score a few goals and obviously help us to achieve further success.

What do you hope to achieve here, Michael?

It’s early days but when you think about United, you automatically think about winning trophies, the stadium, the massive fanbase. Until you sign, you don’t let yourself get carried away. I literally signed about ten minutes ago so no doubt I’ll drive home in my car now and I won’t sleep tonight thinking about all the top players I’m going to play alongside, about the manager, the fans, the atmosphere at Old Trafford and everything else. So there’s a lot to think about and a lot to get excited about.

You’ve obviously played at Old Trafford before but how much are you looking forward to seeing those fans get behind you?

It will be lovely obviously but I’m not silly, I know there will be a few people saying the manager shouldn’t have signed me and things like that. But that gradually goes away over time and then as soon as the first game kicks off, then I can obviously do my talking on the pitch. I’m really looking forward to pre-season. That’ll be good if I can get a full pre-season under my belt as that will stand me in good stead for the rest of the season. Obviously I’d like to start the season with a bang as that will help me settle into my new career and life.

post-2609-1246788201.jpg

• SRC Member

:whistleThis is thanks to Man United !!!

From ANTONY KASTRINAKIS in Madrid

Published: Today

CRISTIANO RONALDO fulfilled his lifelong dream to become a Real Madrid player last night - and thanked Alex Ferguson for making it possible.

The £80million Portugal superstar was saluted by 80,000 delirious fans in the Bernabeu Stadium.

He admitted his pride at being the most expensive footballer in the history of the game and hailed Manchester United boss Fergie and his Old Trafford team-mates.

But he told the Madrid faithful: "This is my new home and my life is here now."

Ronaldo-mania hit the Spanish capital, with a massive crowd from every corner of Spain and Portugal turning up to welcome their new idol in chaotic circumstances.

It was an incredible turnout, yet Ronaldo did not forget what he owed his former club.

He declared: "I have to say thank you to all their supporters, my boss, my friends, my team-mates, because I've been six years at the club and I have a good relationship with the people there. But they understand my decision and they respect that.

"My dream is to play for Madrid. I'm going to miss Manchester but this is my new home. This is my new life and I'm going to give 100 per cent for this club. Today I have fulfilled my lifelong dream."

When David Beckham joined Madrid only 5,000 fans turned up to see his presentation at the club's old training ground.

Last night an astonishing 60,000 people were already crammed into the streets surrounding the historic Bernabeu a full three hours before the event was due to start.

In searing 37-degree heat they waited patiently in order to make sure they were allowed in. Two hours before the start, the gates opened and the people flooded into the stands within half an hour.

At least 10,000 were estimated to have been locked out.

Ronaldo could not have chosen a more fitting destination. A giant of a club to match a giant of an ego.

When he led the crowd in an impromptu 'On the count of three, shout with me Hala Madrid' - it means Go Madrid - he had his hordes of worshippers spell-bound. Ronaldo-mania has taken over Madrid and 500 journalists from 200 different media outlets arrived to attend the party.

Ronaldo, who trotted into the stadium wearing the revered No 9 shirt of Real's legendary striker Alfredo di Stefano, relished the stonking fee his new club have shelled out for him.

After being presented by club president Florentino Perez, he said: "I always believed that if a club wants to have the best players they have to pay.

"I'm happy to be the most expensive player in the history of football. It gives me great pride and I will work to prove they were right.

"I took a moment to think when I entered the dressing room. It was my lifelong dream to be there and, when I put on the shirt for the first time and I was presented, it was a very special moment for me."

With the Champions League final scheduled to be played at the Bernabeu next May, Ronaldo vowed to bring the trophy home.

He declared: "I will give my utmost so that we can win the Champions League."

Ronaldo insisted his farewell to Fergie was amicable and revealed he went to Manchester to speak to the man who turned him into the world's top player.

He said: "It was a very nice goodbye. My relationship with him was always and will always be good." ;)

post-2609-1246945277.jpg

• SRC Member

:rolleyes:Obertan shocked at United move

Eurosport - Thu, 09 Jul 14:33:00 2009

France U21 winger Gabriel Obertan is in shock at his sudden move to Manchester United.

Obertan has secured a four-year contract at Old Trafford, after leaving Bordeaux for a reported £3 million.

Obertan told French radio station RMC: "I knew they had been following me for a few years but I did not think it was going to happen this season."

He ended last season on loan to Lorient, where he scored one goal in 15 appearances and made only six starts.

However, he was named the most valuable player at the Toulon youth tournament last month. That prompted United manager Sir Alex Ferguson to move in and increase his attacking options following the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid.

Obertan added: "We had no longer been in too much contact until the England Under-21s game where I played well for France and scored a goal.

"That helped things along. We spoke again, and I ended up signing.

"He (Ferguson) has put me at ease.

"He said to me that he knows my pros and cons. It's my potential that interests him. He has confidence in me. It is flattering and surprising.

"But I know I still have a lot of work to do to get to that (Ronaldo's) level." :eyebrow:

PA Sport

post-2609-1247206973.jpg

• SRC Member

:pirate::pirate::pirate:Introducing... Obertan

08/07/2009 14:19, Report by Nick Coppack

United’s new signing may be something of an unknown quantity in England, but over in France they’ve been singing his praises for years.

In fact, Gabriel Obertan was being tipped for the top long before he even made his senior debut for Bordeaux as a 17-year-old.

So what sort of player is the France U21 international? And what can United fans expect from his first season at Old Trafford? To find out, we spoke exclusively to BBC 5Live’s European football expert Andy Brassell...

How highly rated is Obertan in France?

He’s a terrific player, although, to be honest, I think some people in France are quite surprised by the transfer. He’s been on the cusp of something great at Bordeaux for a while now – he made his debut at 17 – but he hasn’t quite kicked on and forced himself into the side on a regular basis. Despite that, I think he’ll be a really good fit at United.

What are his main attributes?

He’s a very versatile player and the way United play you need your frontmen to be mobile and flexible. He’s a right-sided attacker, but he can also drop back into midfield or play as a second striker. He could probably also play in central midfield, and I expect his adaptability is one reason Sir Alex was interested in him. He went through the famous Clairefontaine football academy so he has a lot of technical ability and he’s also very quick.

So he’s not a like-for-like replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo?

No, I don’t think you can compare him to Ronaldo or claim he’ll be a direct replacement – they’re different sorts of players. However, like Ronaldo when he first came to England, there’s an element of the unknown around Obertan, which could work in his favour. Remember, though, Obertan’s played about 100 first-team games already and he’s played in the Champions League, so he has decent experience under his belt. In that sense, he’s maybe better prepared for England than Ronaldo was when he first arrived. Obertan also understands his attributes very well: he’s direct and has plenty of tricks, but he’s not going to over-elaborate or do them for the sake of showing off.

Are we talking about a future star?

Well, a lot of people in France think he could become something really special. He hasn’t quite progressed at the rate people had hoped after his debut at 17, but he’s also been a little bit unlucky. Last year, for instance, Bordeaux played Roma in the Champions League and Obertan started terrifically. Bordeaux went 1-0 up and things were looking really good. But then their centre-back was sent off and Obertan was sacrificed for a defender and Bordeaux ended up losing. Similar things have happened on one or two other occasions and there was a feeling that it just wasn’t going to happen for him at Bordeaux, a feeling that luck just wasn’t going his way.

He was sent out on loan to FC Lorient for the second half of 2008/09. They’re not exactly a big club…

That’s true, but he did very well at Lorient. And the fact that Bordeaux sent him on loan to a struggling side shouldn’t be seen as a negative. I think it served two purposes: it said to him that he needed to play more games and start making some progress, but it also would have provided a valuable education. Lorient are a modest club without bells or whistles – he would have been forced to work hard there and roll his sleeves up and get stuck in. While he was there he played for France U21s against England U21s in Nottingham. France won that night, Obertan was the best player on the park and scored the first goal. That performance was a good indication of what he’s capable of.

Realistically, how much can United fans expect to see him this season?

He’s relatively unknown so I don’t think too much will be expected of him. There won’t be too much pressure. I see it almost as a free season for him to ease himself into the club. I definitely wouldn’t like to see him go out on loan – he has such fantastic players to learn from at United and because he’s tall, pacy and has tricks I think he’ll work really well as an impact substitute against tired defenders. I can see him playing about 25 games this season.

Can he cope with the rigours of the English game?

Absolutely. I think the French league, in general, is a great finishing school for life in England. It’s physically tougher than most other leagues in Europe – certainly the Spanish, Portuguese, German or Italian leagues – so that helps players prepare for the Premier League. Most players who have come from France to England are quite physical and get stuck in – people like Drogba and Essien at Chelsea and even Bassong at Newcastle. Obertan is a big guy – 6ft 1in – he’s quick and he can handle himself against defenders. I think that’s something that would have really appealed to United.

post-2609-1247466397.jpg

post-2609-1247466403.jpg

• SRC Member

:huh:Manchester City announce that Tevez will sign <_<

By Soccernet staff

July 13, 2009

Carlos Tevez is set to wear the blue of Manchester City after the club announced they have reached an agreement over a proposed move to the City of Manchester Stadium.

Tevez has agreed personal terms and is expected to pen a five-year deal at Eastlands. City have confirmed the deal has been ratified by the Premier League and the Football Association, and Tevez is expected to have a medical shortly before meeting up with his new team-mates on their pre-season tour to South Africa.

Manager Mark Hughes said "It is terrific news. Carlos is an international player of the highest class who possesses all the attributes that will help drive this club forward."

Tevez caught an overnight flight from South America on Monday to Manchester to put an end to a lengthy pursuit of a player who ended his association with Manchester United after finishing a two-year loan at Old Trafford amid much acrimony at the end of June.

City have previously been reluctant to express too much confidence about the chances of Tevez joining them, knowing the complexities of the deal could scupper it at any time. Tevez's "economic rights" are owned by third-party group MSI, fronted by businessman Kia Joorabchian.

Despite something of a rapport with fans at Old Trafford, and a United offer that met MSI's requirements in terms of wages and a fee for the player, Red Devils' boss Sir Alex Ferguson said on Monday that he felt the Argentine striker had decided to bail out long before the eventual decision was taken.

"I half expected Carlos Tevez would be going a long time back," said the United boss. "I think he maybe did a deal around January because I spoke to him and gave him an offer on the night we played Inter Milan (in March) and he never came back to me.

"I phoned him on holiday and he never got back to me and I texted him twice and he never got back to me then either, so obviously he had made his mind up a long time ago.

"He was a good player and did well for us. But he obviously assessed the situation and wanted to go somewhere else."

Arsenal's Emmanuel Adebayor has also emerged as the latest big name to catch City's eye while they also wait to see what the result of conversations between John Terry and Chelsea will be.

Blues chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak is willing to make Terry the highest-paid player in England in order to lure him north.

post-2609-1247554356.jpg

• SRC Member

:whistleFergie: No more player movement at Old Trafford

By Soccernet Staff

July 13, 2009

Sir Alex Ferguson handed Michael Owen Ronaldo's old shirt at Manchester United and then declared Old Trafford closed for transfer business.

After recieving £80m from the sale of the Portuguese winger to Real Madrid, it was thought Ferguson would add to the signings of Owen, Antonio Valencia and Gabriel Obertan.

But, faced with a market over-inflated by Real Madrid and Manchester City, Ferguson has decided his current squad is good enough to challenge for an unprecedented fourth consecutive league title, even though Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez have left.

He said: "It is the end of our business, so all these stories about who were are supposed to be getting - forget it. I can only placate the fans this way and say I am not going to be stupid.

"We have got that wonderful sum of money from Real Madrid but there was no way we were going to throw it away and put an extra nought on the end of the transfer which I didn't think was value.''

It means Owen will take over Ronaldo's shirt and his place in an attacking line-up containing Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov, plus youngsters Danny Welbeck and Federico Macheda, who will both be given a chance to prove they are worthy of the accolades that have been bestowed on them.

"They are both young players - but young players with ability always get a chance here.''

Owen maintained he was in good shape despite his injury-prone tag. "It does irritate me that so many people have doubts,'' he said. "But if there is one thing I am angered by, the injury thing would be it. There is no doubt I have had injuries in my career. But there is a long list of players that have had a broken metatarsal.

"I was foolish trying to rush back for the World Cup and my leg had just come out of plaster. "But I played 33 and 32 games in the last two years in a team that was not in Europe and did not go on a decent cup run. Still I was continually labelled injury-prone, which gets up my nose.

"I am 29 and have played over 500 games for club and country. That says it all.''

What Owen does accept the need to prove is the retention of ability that has made him only the fourth striker in England history to score 40 goals for his country.

"In certain parts, people do have a justification to have a go at me,'' he said. "I didn't set the world alight in the last year at Newcastle. That is no-one's fault but mine. We were not playing well as a team and I wasn't doing my bit either.''

Ferguson confirmed he made a bid for Karim Benzema, only to be rebuffed by the Lyon man, who instead became part of Real Madrid's extraordinary spending spree.

''There are some amazing numbers being talked about, not all of them realistic,'' he said. ''It is very difficult to get value now. ''In a way we benefited through the sale of Cristiano, although that figure was non-negotiable.

"But I feel we have a good squad, which meant there was no need for knee-jerk reactions. 'We asked about Benzema and we had a value for him. Lyon have done well because they got 42m Euros but I think we took a sensible view.''

"Michael gives us experience in the penalty box, which is vital,'' said Ferguson. "He has always had that little knack of losing defenders in the last third. "I know he will score a lot of goals for us. He has been great at that for years.''

• SRC Member

:pirate::pirate::pirate:Tevez joins Man City, criticises Ferguson

14 July 2009 09:15

By Martyn Herman

LONDON - Argentina striker Carlos Tevez signed for Manchester City on Tuesday and used his first news conference at the big-spending Premier League club to criticise Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson.

The 25-year-old, who spent two years at Old Trafford under a lease agreement, said Ferguson had not done enough to persuade him to stay at the champions.

"Alex never called me or sent me any text messages," Tevez, who signed a five-year contract, said through a translator. "The only time he spoke to me was after the match against Roma because we had to discuss me playing for Argentina.

"I don't think that is the way to treat a player who has been two years at the club." :pinch:

Tevez was the third major pre-season signing for City who are owned by Abu Dhabi billionaire Sheikh Mansour after midfielder Gareth Barry and striker Roque Santa Cruz joined from Aston Villa and Blackburn Rovers respectively.

City manager Mark Hughes confirmed that the free-spending club had opened talks with Arsenal about buying Togo striker Emmanuel Adebayor.

GOOD PROPOSAL

Tevez was a firm favourite at Old Trafford, scoring 34 goals in 98 appearances but often had to make do with a place on the bench. He was among the substitutes for the Champions League final defeat by Barcelona in May.

"United fans have to understand that part of my heart will always be with them, they were always supportive and always made me feel well even when I wasn't playing well," he said.

"It was not because of the fans that I left but because Ferguson and David Gill didn't do enough to keep me there." :fear:

Tevez, who joined West Ham United from Brazilian side Corinthians in 2006, said City's potential was a major factor in him switching across the city.

"Both the technical department and the ownership came with a very good proposal for me and this showed that they have the ambition to become one of the biggest clubs in the world," he said.

"Money was not a factor for me. Always to have a coach that wants me and a good fan base and a good environment to make me happy, that was the most important thing. I'm delighted to be here."

With Paraguay international Santa Cruz and possibly Adebayor in the squad next season, Tevez said he was prepared to have to fight for his place.

"In every team you have to win the respect of your team mates and sweat the shirt," he said. "I would not be happy if I was assured a first team place."

City have been linked with Chelsea captain John Terry in recent weeks but Hughes would not be drawn on the speculation surrounding the England defender.

"I have fantastic respect for John Terry, as a great player and as an outstanding captain. But he is a Chelsea player at this moment in time so we have to respect that," he said.

• SRC Member

:whistle:whistle:whistlePINKIE Talk !!! :P

Real captain heaps praise on 'super nice' Ronaldo

14 July 2009 10:52

Real Madrid captain Raul heaped praise Tuesday on his new teammate Cristiano Ronaldo, calling the Portuguese international winger "super nice" and a "hardworking".

"He is super nice, normal and very harworking," he told a news conference in Maynooth, Ireland where the club began a nine-day pre-season training camp on Tuesday.

"He is integrated. He seems very happy. In the media it seems like everything he does and says, every gesture, has a lot of meaning but he is much more normal than people think," the 32-year-old added.

Real signed Ronaldo from Manchester United last month on a six-year deal worth around 94 million euros (131 million dollars) and he will reportedly be paid 13 million euros each season, making him the most expensive player in the world.

The 24-year-old, was officially unveiled before some 75,000 ecstatic Real fans on July 6 at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium, is being protected by several security guards during his stay in Ireland.

Real will play a friendly match against current Irish champions Shamrock Rovers on July 20, two days before its training camp in Ireland ends.

• SRC Member

:evil::evil::evil:Man United cancel Jakarta game after bombings

By Soccernet staff

July 17, 2009

Manchester United have called off the Indonesian leg of their Far East tour after bomb blasts hit the hotel they were due to stay in.

The squad arrived in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Friday morning to news of the explosions over in Indonesia, one of which hit the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Jakarta where the Red Devils were due to stay for four nights from Saturday.

United play against a Malaysia XI in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday and were set to face an Indonesia All Star side in Jakata on Monday.

After seeking advice from various parties, including the Foreign Office, United confirmed they would no longer be flying to the Indonesian capital, where nine people were tragically killed and 48 injured in the blasts.

"Following the explosions in Jakarta - one of which was at the hotel the team were due to stay in - and based on advice received, the directors have informed the Indonesian FA that the club cannot fulfil the fixture in Jakarta on the 2009 Asia tour," United said in a statement.

The match, scheduled for July 20, had been a 100,000 sell-out and the club are currently investigating the possibility of reorganising the tour.

"We are working on a revised itinerary outside Indonesia with the promoters and we will make a further announcement when these decisions have been made," continued the statement.

"We are deeply disappointed at not being able to visit Indonesia and thank the Indonesian FA and our fans for their support.

"Our thoughts go to all those affected by the blasts."

United could now remain in Kuala Lumpur until Wednesday, when they are due to fly into Seoul, South Korea, for a game on Friday. The Premier League club's pre-season tour of the Far East then concludes in China.

:nuke::nuke::nuke:Blasts at Jakarta Ritz, Marriott kill 9, wound 50

By ANTHONY DEUTSCH, Associated Press Writer Anthony Deutsch,

Associated Press Writer – 31 mins ago

JAKARTA, Indonesia – Suspected suicide bombers set off explosions that ripped through two luxury hotels in Jakarta Friday, killing nine and wounding at least 50 more, ending a four-year lull in terror attacks in the world's most populous Muslim nation. At least 18 foreigners were among the dead and wounded.

The blasts at the J.W. Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels, located side-by-side in an upscale business district in the capital, blew out windows and scattered debris and glass across the street, kicking up a thick plume of smoke. Facades of both hotels were reduced to twisted metal. An Associated Press reporter at the scene saw bloodied bodies being shuttled away in police trucks.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said the attack was carried out by a "terrorist group" and vowed to arrest the perpetrators. He said it was too early to say if the Southeast Asian Islamic militant group Jemaah Islamiyah, blamed for past attacks in Indonesia, including a 2003 bombing at the Marriott, was responsible.

"Those who carried out this attack and those who planned it will be arrested and tried according to the law," a somber-looking Yudhoyono told a news conference.

The Marriott was hit first, followed by the blast at the Ritz two minutes later. The attacks came just two weeks after presidential vote expected to re-elect Yudhoyono who has been credited with stabilizing a nation previously wracked by militancy.

Theo Sambuaga, chairman of the parliamentary security commission, said "there are indications of suicide bombs" at the two hotels. "That is being investigated."

Local MetroTV reported that investigators suspect the attackers may have been hotel guests, who smuggled explosives past security checks. An unexploded bomb was found on the 18th floor of the Marriott after the blasts and removed by an explosives disposal team, said an investigator who declined to be named because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

But top anti-terror official Ansaad Mbai told AP it was too early to conclude suicide bombers were responsible.

Security Minister Widodo Adi Sucipto told reporters at the scene the hotel blasts happened at 7:45 a.m. and 7:47 a.m. (0045 GMT, 8:45 p.m. EDT) and that "high explosives were used." He said at least nine people were killed and 50 wounded.

Alex Asmasubrata, who was jogging nearby, said he walked into the Marriott before emergency services arrived and "there were bodies on the ground, one of them had no stomach," he said. "It was terrible."

Anti-terror forces with automatic weapons were rushed to the site, and authorities blocked access to the hotels in a district also home to foreign embassies.

"This destroys our conducive situation," Sucipto said, referring to the nearly four years since a major terrorist attack in Indonesia — a triple suicide bombing at restaurants at the resort island of Bali that killed 20 people.

The security minister and police said a New Zealander was among those killed, and that 17 other foreigners were among the wounded, including nationals from Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, India, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, South Korea the U.S. and Britain.

The dead New Zealander was identified by his employer as Timothy David Mackay, 62, who worked for cement products manufacturer PT Holcim Indonesia. He was reportedly attending a business meeting at the Marriott Hotel when the explosions occurred.

Noel Clay, a U.S. State Department spokesman in Washington, said that several American citizens were among the injured.

Earlier, South Jakarta police Col. Firman Bundi said that four foreigners were killed, but gave no details.

Manchester United football team canceled a planned visit to Indonesia. The team had been scheduled to stay at the Ritz on Saturday and Sunday nights for a friendly match against the Indonesian All Stars, the Indonesian Football association said.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks, but terrorism analyst Rohan Gunaratna said the likely perpetrators were from the al-Qaida-linked Jemaah Islamiyah.

"The only group with the intention and capability to mount attacks upon Western targets in Jemaah Islamiyah. I have no doubt Jemaah Islamiyah was responsible for this attack," he said.

There has been a massive crackdown in recent years by anti-terror officials in Indonesia, a predominantly Muslim nation of 235 million, but Gunaratna said the group was "still a very capable terrorist organization."

Police have detained most of the key figures in the Indonesia-based Jemaah Islamiyah, and rounded up hundreds of other sympathizers and lesser figures.

But Gunaratna said that radical ideologues sympathetic to JI were still able to preach extremism in Indonesia, helping provide an infrastructure that could support terrorism.

Jakarta chief of police operations, Arief Wahyunadi, said the blasts were in the Ritz-Carlton's Airlangga restaurant and in the basement of the Marriott. He gave no details on what kind of bombs were used and whether they were suicide attacks.

Government spokesman Dino Patti Djalal told CNN the scene of the blasts were "eerie," when he arrived.

"The bodies I saw, some were being collected, some were on the floor," he said. "What we know, of course, is this was a coordinated attack."

When asked if Jemaah Islamiyah was behind the attack, Djalal said: "We always knew there are terrorists out there. But we've had a number of very good successes; no major attacks since the Bali bombings."

He was referring to the October 2002 bombings of two Bali nightclubs that killed some 202 people, many of them foreign tourists.

"This is a blow to us," Djalal said, but said the government would find those behind the attacks.

"The president has built his reputation on ... anti-terrorism policies," he said. "Make no mistake, he will hunt whoever is behind this."

Because of past attacks, most major hotels in Jakarta take security precautions, such as checking incoming vehicles and requiring visitors to pass through metal detectors. Still, international hotels make attractive targets, since the nature of their business requires them to be relatively open and accessible.

On Friday, Australia and New Zealand updated their travel advisories, which had already warned against unnecessary travel to Indonesia because of the risk of terrorism.

"We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Indonesia due to the very high threat of terrorist attack," the Australian Foreign Ministry said on its Web site. Those in Indonesia were warned to exercise "extreme caution."

New Zealand urged its citizens in Indonesia to keep a low profile.

Britain also updated its travel warning, though it did not raise its alert level.

Associated Press writers Niniek Karmini and Ali Kotarumalos in Jakarta and Tanalee Smith in Adelaide, Australia, contributed to this report.

post-2609-1247821570.jpg

• SRC Member

:eyebrow:MAN UNITED PRE-SEASON - Vidic sits out tour

July 16, 2009

Nemanja Vidic was missing from the Manchester United squad that headed out to Malaysia on Thursday afternoon for the first leg of a four-match Far East tour.

Although United have not given a reason for Vidic's absence, the defender was forced to pull out of a World Cup qualifier against the Faroe Islands last month after suffering an ankle injury in Serbia's victory over Austria.

With Wes Brown and Gary Neville included in a 22-man party, there was no point risking Vidic, although Sir Alex Ferguson will hope to have the former Spartak Moscow man ready for the start of United's Premier League title defence against Birmingham on August 16.

Of Ferguson's three new signings, only Michael Owen boarded the plane bound for Kuala Lumpur, where United will tackle a Malaysia XI on Saturday.

The other players to miss out were the perenially injured Owen Hargreaves, Danny Welbeck, and Brazilian full-back Rafael Da Silva, who has been suffering with an ankle problem since the end of last season.

The full squad is: Edwin van der Sar, Tomasz Kuszczak, Ben Foster; Jonny Evans, Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand, Gary Neville, Wes Brown, John O'Shea, Fabio da Silva; Nani, Zoran Tosic, Darren Fletcher, Anderson, Darron Gibson, Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick, Ryan Giggs; Michael Owen, Dimitar Berbatov, Federico Macheda, Wayne Rooney.

• SRC Member

:pirate::pirate::pirate:

United agree terms for striker

17/07/2009 08:56, Report by Adam Bostock

Manchester United and Molde F.K. are pleased to announce that they have agreed terms for the transfer of Mame Biram Diouf.

The 21 year-old striker is to attend a medical in Manchester next week with a view to joining the club in January. Until that time he will remain with Molde F.K. on loan.

Speaking at a press conference in Kuala Lumpur earlier today, Sir Alex Ferguson said: "We’ve been looking at him for two years.

"We weren't intending on signing anyone else after [Gabriel Obertan] last week - we feel we have a full squad - but the situation accelerated to a point where other clubs started to make bids, so we had a decision to make.

"We decided to act now and he’ll be the last person we sign this summer."

To date, Diouf has scored 38 times in 73 appearances for Norwegian side Molde, the same club from which United signed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as a virtual unknown in 1996.

Diouf's impressive tally of 17 goals from 21 games so far this season includes a hat-trick in the first nine minutes of last Sunday's league match against Brann. He added a fourth strike, in the 27th minute, as Molde marched on to a resounding 5-2 victory.

A fellow countryman of several UK-based players including Blackburn's El Hadji Diouf and Portsmouth's Papa Bouba Diop, Mame Biram Diouf has represented his native Senegal at youth, Under-21 and Olympic (Under-23) level.

Mame Biram Diouf - Striker

Born: 16 December 1987, Senegal

Record at Molde F.K. (Norway)

2009 - 21 games, 17 goals (so far)

2008 - 29 games, 11 goals

2007 - 23 games, 10 goals

• SRC Member

:whistle:whistle:whistleOwen scores winner on Man Utd debut

18 July 2009 06:21

Michael Owen got his Manchester United career off to a flyer on Saturday when he scored the winner on his debut as the Premier League champions struggled past a Malaysian XI 3-2.

The former Newcastle and England striker, who moved to Old Trafford on a free transfer this month, came on as a substitute for Wayne Rooney after 60 minutes with the score at 2-2 and made the most of his chance.

Wearing the club's famous number seven shirt, he pounced with five minutes left, picking up the ball just inside the box and rounding the goalkeeper before planting a right foot shot into the net.

It dug United out of a hole after they let a two goal lead, courtesy of Rooney and Nani, slip.

Goalkeeping errors let the home team back in the game, with Amri Yahyah capitalising both times.

"At 2-0 we were in a very nice position but the goal they got galvanised them and they gave us a real battle," admitted United coach Sir Alex Ferguson.

"But I'm happy with what we did, it was out first game and we needed that type of game to get us going."

He added that the winning goal was a typical Owen strike and one that didn't surprise him.

"It was a typical Michael Owen goal. When Ryan (Giggs) went through the first man to react was Owen. It was a good start for him."

Ferguson brought a 22-man squad to Asia and said ahead of the game he would start with his best 11 -- and it didn't include Owen.

Instead, Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov led the attack with the promising Darron Gibson wide on the right and Nani on the left.

Paul Scholes and Anderson were in the middle while Rio Ferdinand took the captain's armband ahead of Gary Neville.

Joining him in defence was Patrice Evra, Johnny Evans and John O'Shea, with Edwin Van Der Sar in goal.

Rooney had the first chance when he forced a fine save from goalkeeper Farizal Marlias after just two minutes with Evans also going close with a header from the resulting corner.

The breakthrough came on seven minutes when Gibson sent the ball over from the right and Berbatov's shot was saved by Marlias only for Rooney to pick up the rebound for an easy tap in.

Rooney was in the thick of the action and nearly made it 2-0 a minute later when his shot was tipped over the bar.

United though were clearly rusty and missed the flair of Cristiano Ronaldo, with passes going astray and Malaysia being given too much room.

Despite this, United doubled their lead on 27 minutes after Rooney timed a pass perfectly to Nani who slotted the ball home with his left foot from close range.

But complacency crept in as half-time neared and Van Der Saar was caught napping by Yahyah who cleverly lobbed the ball over the Dutchman's head from 30 yards to set the crowd alight.

Ben Foster replaced him for the second half but fared no better, committing a schoolboy error when he failed to clear a back pass, which Yahyah pounced on to draw Malaysia level after 52 minutes.

It prompted Ferguson to make four substitutions with Owen, Wes Brown, Zoran Tosic and Fabio all coming on.

The match looked headed for a draw before Owen worked some of his old magic to get their pre-season off on the right foot. :pinch:

post-2609-1248002018.jpg

post-2609-1248002129.jpg

post-2609-1248002294.jpg

• SRC Member

:pirate::pirate::pirate:Premier League - Owen calls for United to 'step up'

Eurosport - Sun, 19 Jul 15:16:00 2009

Michael Owen has called on all his new Manchester United team-mates to "step up to the plate" as they look to replace the man whose shirt he now wears.

Owen enjoyed the perfect start to life as United's new number seven by scoring a late winner as the Red Devils opened their Far East tour with a 3-2 win over a Malaysia XI.

"Hopefully I might add something the team haven't got at the moment," he said. "Nobody is going to replace Ronaldo, even though I wear his shirt, but if someone like Wayne (Rooney) could improve his game five per cent, that would help. I can add a little bit, there is Antonio Valencia."

He added: "Everyone is going to have to step up to the plate a bit more to make up for him."

No-one, least of all Owen himself or manager Sir Alex Ferguson is going to get carried away by one 30 minute cameo.

Nevertheless, there were encouraging signs that Owen's trademark runs will be spotted by the likes of Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs just as the former Liverpool striker felt on the day he jumped at the chance of joining United.

"There are so many players on my wavelength - world-class players," he said.

"I would hope there is no-one similar to me in the way that I play. I can see Wayne Rooney or Paul Scholes as soon as they get the ball looking for one of my runs."

Ferguson spotted it too, although his words were of caution in the knowledge that it is against Birmingham on August 16 that Owen's contribution can start to be judged.

"It was a friendly game," he said. "I am sure Michael will be delighted he got off the mark but I am looking ahead to the season. I know he will give us a good contribution of goals. That will be a more important time to appraise him."

PA Sport

• SRC Member

:pirate::pirate::pirate:Premier League - Fergie: Tevez not worth £25m

Eurosport - Tue, 21 Jul 11:48:00 2009

Sir Alex Ferguson has hit back at Carlos Tevez, saying the Argentine striker is not worth the £25 million that rivals Manchester City have paid for him.

The 25-year-old international signed a five-year contract with City after his two-year deal at United ran out at the end of last season.

Tevez, a fan favourite at Old Trafford, has claimed Ferguson never got in touch to try to persuade him to stay.

But Ferguson said in Kuala Lumpur, where United are on an Asian tour, that this was not true.

"We made contact with Carlos. We sent him texts and spoke to him when he was in Argentina," he said.

"Our chief executive, David Gill, made an offer to (agent) Kia Joorabchian and we spoke to Tevez before we played Inter Milan (in March) and told him we had spoken to Kia, but we never heard back."

In the end Tevez went to big-spending City, where he will play alongside Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor next season.

Ferguson drafted in Michael Owen on a free transfer to replace him, and made clear he felt Tevez was not worth what City manager Mark Hughes paid.

"In my opinion, I don't think he is worth £25m," he said.

"He was popular with the supporters. The fans quite rightly have their heroes and I was happy to go along with the deal as long as it was the right one but, quite simply, he is not worth £25m."

AFP

:whistle:whistle:whistlePremier League - Tevez: I turned down Real

Eurosport - Fri, 17 Jul 09:08:00 2009

Carlos Tevez has revealed he rejected the chance to join former Manchester United team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo at Real Madrid.

The Argentina striker also confirmed that Chelsea and Liverpool had made inquiries about securing his services. Instead Tevez opted for a move to Manchester City after his extended loan deal at United ended, signing a lucrative five-year deal at Eastlands.

"Real made an offer but there was no agreement," Tevez told the Nation newspaper during a promotional visit to Abu Dhabi with his new club.

He added: "There were talks about deals and agreements but in the end it was only City. They showed lots of interest in me and are intent on growing and signing big players.

"I am sad to leave United but I am excited to join City. I'm thinking about the future and I will grow with this club."

Meanwhile manager Mark Hughes is continuing his pursuit of Emmanuel Adebayor and John Terry. Hughes remains determined to land the two men even though there are suggestions that Adebayor is not keen to leave Arsenal for Eastlands while Chelsea are adamant Terry is not for sale. Adebayor knows as well that there is stiff competition for places in attack at City following the arrivals of Tevez and Roque Santa Cruz with Craig Bellamy also on board.

Terry is Chelsea's defensive rock but Hughes believes the England international is ready for a new challenge.

"We do need new players," Hughes told the Gulf News. "We are still in discussions (over Adebayor) and the talks will continue.

"We have got attacking-minded players but we are looking to bring other players to the club before the transfer window closes.

"We are also looking to strengthen the defence. Every transfer deal is difficult and has different problems. There are areas which we need to address but we are happy with our progress."

PA Sport

post-2609-1248244366.jpg