Wood stain on cabinet

shaohui75

Anyone here tried using wood stain to change the colour of your laminate cabinet? Is it possible?

Q : "What is the best way to paint over laminate? Spray paint? Regular paint? Primer first? Can I strip it and then use a stain?

A : Stripping the laminate is not an option if I’m picturing your piece correctly. I’m envisioning a Formica type surface. Laminates are normally applied to a non-finish grade surface.

Spray painting would be an excellent choice. Just follow all the preparations for regular paint. Place the furniture in a spray booth, like a large cardboard box, to collect the over-spray. Apply the paint by going slowly back and forth, with the can about ten inches away from (and parallel to) the surface. There are also spray primers available. The best choice for furniture would be an oil or acrylic based gloss enamel.

As with any painting project, the prep work is the secret! You will spend 75 to 80% of your time preparing, and only 20 to 25% actually painting!

Most painting projects share the same preparation. One very important thing is to have a clean, dry, smooth surface. Wash the piece of laminated furniture with TSP, tri-sodium phosphate. TSP will degrease and degloss it. Then rinse and let dry.

This next step is perhaps the most important. Sand the entire surface with a medium-grade sandpaper. It’s absolutely necessary to break through the super-smooth surface of the laminate. This will allow the primer to stick to the surface, whether using spray paint or brush/roll-on paint. Wipe off or vacuum the dust from sanding.

Apply a primer, such as B-I-N. I have my primer tinted the same color as my paint. Use a spray primer if you prefer.

Apply two thin coats of paint instead of a single thick one.