Kelong Rental

xnsdvd

• SRC Member

Changi Fisheries is located on the southern end of Pulau Ubin, we're renting out several 4x4x4m cages to interested parties for just $250 a month.

The cages in question are currently stocked with Tiger Grouper(Which in hindsight was a REALLY BAD IDEA) and will be available once we've cleared stock.

We will provide 24hr security, cage maintenance and feeding as part of the rental package. Sale of the stock once it's mature will be arranged by us OR you can find your own buyer(Especially for ornamental species). This is ideal for those of you who've always wanted to get a kelong, but had no idea what you were getting involved in.

So if you're interested in small scale farming of:

Live rocks

Lobsters

Grouper(Try regional natives)

Seabass

Macro Algae

Snapper

Mullet

Milk fish

Prawns

Bamboo Clams

Mussels

Cobia

The following are still being experimented on:

Hard and Soft Corals

Tiger Prawns

Slipper Lobster

Blue Spotted Rays

Cuttlefish

Mermaids

Please call 98627310 for more details, Ask for Shannon.

You can also take a look at the location over at: http://changifishery.com/gallery.htm

You can reach me at 98627310

• SRC Member
very interesting concept.. but dun think it's profitable..

Actually, if you take a simple species like Epinephelus coioides(Orange Spotted Grouper/Estuary Cod) and run the numbers, assuming really REALLY bad results, insane prices and ridiculously high mortality; (Normal rates/levels in brackets)

Expensive Fry: $1.30 x 1000 = $1300 (less than $1)

Ridiculously low rates from sale of stock = $15/kg ($16.5 to $25)

Ridiculously high mortality = 50% (10% - 30%)

Incredibly slow growth rates = 18 months to reach 1kg

You still get $7500 - (1300 + 4500) = $1700. So even in a really bad scenario, it's still profitable. The rates we get from buyers are about 40% less than what you pay for in retail for a live specimen. So I'm sure you can tell do the math on the rest of the species. Though smaller ones like Milk fish and Mullet will have higher stocking densities, Mussels don't even need cages, Live rocks can't die and larger cages for fish like Cobia.

Also we've shifted to Stamford Raffles Marine Culture on the North end of Ubin as Changi Fishery has expressed interest in selling their entire farm. Apologies for the confusion if this causes any.

• SRC Member

@ RedDevils: You're the moderator, you tell me :P Do I need to get a merchant ID or something? Also, if you want to buy directly from us, there's a group of reefers coming down this saturday. Drop me an sms and we'll make arrangements for you.

@ Garyjg: Nothing. The food is included in the rental for food fish. Even if you're farming ornamental species, we've got a net with 20 copperband butterflies that are happily consuming the critters living in the soft corals and macro algae that grow on the bottom of the tank. Don't think they've ever been fed.

@ RedDevils: You're the moderator, you tell me :P Do I need to get a merchant ID or something? Also, if you want to buy directly from us, there's a group of reefers coming down this saturday. Drop me an sms and we'll make arrangements for you.

@ Garyjg: Nothing. The food is included in the rental for food fish. Even if you're farming ornamental species, we've got a net with 20 copperband butterflies that are happily consuming the critters living in the soft corals and macro algae that grow on the bottom of the tank. Don't think they've ever been fed.

hi xnsdvd,

If you are interested to be one of our sponsor supporting the local reefing community , please contact me for details. As commercial posting maybe removed without any prior warning. :whistle