Kimkim's pico tank(5G) log

kimkim23

Phew didnt got to bath till now coz of my DIY project... I'm happy with the results coz i finally got to see all my corals under moonlight but too bad the foundation that was under the LED panel was too weak.

The acrylic i got was too thin, i bought 2 just in case actualli but after trying on 1 i can see it wont be enuf..gonna try go brash brasah and look some some acrylic shop which the art fren uncle recommended.

Well here are some pics of wat i got in the end,But i removed the led panel right after this..the stand realli aint solid enuf so i guess gonna delay again until i figure out how to make the damm stand more stable..

Do feel free to give yr ideas ok?gum xia!From the pics u will see that the 4 acrylic sticks are realli much taller then my tank,i'm sure it will be more stable if i cut them in half but then i figure that if it reminds this way nxt time i can do tank maintainence without removing the lighting so will be gd too.

IMG_6228.jpg

Front view

IMG_6263.jpg

side view

Now here for some pics of my corals in their moonlight colors.. ^_^

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_6243.jpg

IMG_6255.jpg

IMG_6241.jpg

IMG_6238.jpg

IMG_6260.jpg

IMG_6250.jpg

Nearly forgot wat was the color of this oxypora..haha now i remember y i liked it that time at GO liao...

My suns was green color under the moon light =/ look like HULK corals to me wahahaha...

Realli happy to see the diff colors under the moonlight,hope i can settle this lighting prob asap before CNY :wub:

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Hmmm...the lighting is for moonlight effect only??? If using as daylight lighting, might not be strong enough especially if you place it so high above your tank. But if keeping just LPS and softies may be ok but in this case, should move your zoas towards the top of your tank.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Hmmm...the lighting is for moonlight effect only??? If using as daylight lighting, might not be strong enough especially if you place it so high above your tank. But if keeping just LPS and softies may be ok but in this case, should move your zoas towards the top of your tank.

Oh no no bro.i got white lights on it oso. 8 BLue 7White. all 3W. so will use it as daylight lighting oso nxt time.Coz my room is almost completely shaded from light,thus no algea from day 1 till now :mellow: So will fully utilize the LED throughout the whole day :pirate:

Zoas will definalty all be moved up after the lighting problem is settled then will start to use the gel super glue loctite that every1 recommended to glue them on to the top part of the tank.

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

For small frag of zoas, I suggest you use glue gel.

Take the top piece of rock out, glue all the zoas frag on it. let it dry for 1 - 2 mins.

Then put the rock back inside. walah... done.

Er.. if i cant remove the top piece of rock out from my tank can i just apply the gel on my frags which are on a tiny piece of rock, OutSide the tank and then quickly put back water and hold on to the bigger piece of rock to let it gel?

Thanks Kiko,ya i love it oso.too bad can only see awhile before i dismantle it :(

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member

the LED are impressive. looks over killed for your tank size, maybe that explains why u placed it higher.

and paiseh on the seperated mushie. :paiseh: must have gave u some troubles.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
Er.. if i cant remove the top piece of rock out from my tank can i just apply the gel on my frags which are on a tiny piece of rock, OutSide the tank and then quickly put back water and hold on to the bigger piece of rock to let it gel?

Thanks Kiko,ya i love it oso.too bad can only see awhile before i dismantle it :(

You could try but very likely won't work well. Best way to do it will be to apply the super glue gel to both surfaces. Otherwise if applying the gel on one surface only, you would probably have to apply quite a bit of it.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

ya law bro.i kindna think its abit of overkill but having it high is a gd idea oso,scare the water boil if after long duration oso coz no proper chiller,gd for maintainence as i mentioned oso.Yr mushies are very nice no worries.manage to epoxy them successfully anyway :lol:

Hmm ok peter will have a try and see it it works anot..time to get more gels..ytd used alot on my acrylic stand,doink

the gel realli safe for our tank inhabitants hor :nc:

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member

might not be good. the more you work it under, might contaminate while not set. best is how bro jacky said. then after gluing with the gel, let it dry a little then dip it in a separate bin with water to also remove some stuff from the cured gel. then i'd put it for maybe 10 minutes or so in nsw in a bin just to make sure it gets rid of whatever is still there before putting it back in the tank. :rolleyes:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
Phew didnt got to bath till now coz of my DIY project... I'm happy with the results coz i finally got to see all my corals under moonlight but too bad the foundation that was under the LED panel was too weak.

The acrylic i got was too thin, i bought 2 just in case actualli but after trying on 1 i can see it wont be enuf..gonna try go brash brasah and look some some acrylic shop which the art fren uncle recommended.

Well here are some pics of wat i got in the end,But i removed the led panel right after this..the stand realli aint solid enuf so i guess gonna delay again until i figure out how to make the damm stand more stable..

Do feel free to give yr ideas ok?gum xia!From the pics u will see that the 4 acrylic sticks are realli much taller then my tank,i'm sure it will be more stable if i cut them in half but then i figure that if it reminds this way nxt time i can do tank maintainence without removing the lighting so will be gd too.

Nearly forgot wat was the color of this oxypora..haha now i remember y i liked it that time at GO liao...

My suns was green color under the moon light =/ look like HULK corals to me wahahaha...

Realli happy to see the diff colors under the moonlight,hope i can settle this lighting prob asap before CNY :wub:

cool bro ... umm, why mounted so high ?

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

viewing pleasure of your computer needs to be considered..

hope thats the best but if i had a par meter i think the light wavelength should be pretty weak at the base of the tank.

cant really confirm though.. i think your corals will give you the best report card.

the fan and stuff are blocking the light distribution too....

my advice is...

UPGRADE HAHAHA

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

viewing pleasure of your computer needs to be considered..

hope thats the best but if i had a par meter i think the light wavelength should be pretty weak at the base of the tank.

cant really confirm though.. i think your corals will give you the best report card.

the fan and stuff are blocking the light distribution too....

my advice is...

UPGRADE HAHAHA

Well guess i'll head down to dama this weekend.they say i can send it throught email but then i think it will hard to say throught email..js gonna go down and tell them wat i want...

aiya i actualli think i can squeeze a 2 ft into my bedroom.but then i think it will be super tedious as theres very little space ard it..js gonna concentrate on my pico for now..sign... toopid lighting.. <_<

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

Well guess i'll head down to dama this weekend.they say i can send it throught email but then i think it will hard to say throught email..js gonna go down and tell them wat i want...

aiya i actualli think i can squeeze a 2 ft into my bedroom.but then i think it will be super tedious as theres very little space ard it..js gonna concentrate on my pico for now..sign... toopid lighting.. <_<

a 1ft cube is much more easier and suitable to maintain. Can house more corals too.

you can reuse most of your eqpt. lights, skimmer. maybe add a wavemaker.

Else soon you have nothing much to play with already very soon :P

just a thought.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
a 1ft cube is much more easier and suitable to maintain. Can house more corals too.

you can reuse most of your eqpt. lights, skimmer. maybe add a wavemaker.

Else soon you have nothing much to play with already very soon :P

just a thought.

Ehhh...1ft cube and his current tank size not much diff leh...U talking about 2ft cube is it? :rolleyes:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Ehhh...1ft cube and his current tank size not much diff leh...U talking about 2ft cube is it? :rolleyes:

1 ft cube = double his current tank size now already.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
1 ft cube = double his current tank size now already.

Is it? His current tank is 11 x 9 x 12 = 1188 cu inch

1 ft cube = 12 x 12 x 12 = 1728 cu inch.

Not yet double leh...Only 45.45% larger... :whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Is it? His current tank is 11 x 9 x 12 = 1188 cu inch

1 ft cube = 12 x 12 x 12 = 1728 cu inch.

Not yet double leh...Only 45.45% larger... :whistle

his tank thread header indicated 5 gal.

1 ft cube should be >10gal.

(my 1.5 ft is 20 gal)

never check his tank dimensions.

• SRC Member
his tank thread header indicated 5 gal.

1 ft cube should be >10gal.

(my 1.5 ft is 20 gal)

never check his tank dimensions.

1 ft cube is 7 gal. 1.5 ft cube is 25 gal.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

1 ft cube is 7 gal. 1.5 ft cube is 25 gal.

u shld be right..... I no time to check properly.

just "agaration"

multi tasking with emails and excel spreadsheets now.....

• SRC Member
u shld be right..... I no time to check properly.

just "agaration"

multi tasking with emails and excel spreadsheets now.....

Should be emails, excel spreadsheets and SRC... :eyebrow::whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

er... guys, mind tank is 11 x 9 x 12 so = 5 Gallon lor.Anyway.. i checked and realise i got space for a 2feet tank on the right of my pico..if i js remove the cupboard and fans beside it..but mafun la means i gonna move so 1 cupard and 2 fans away.

oh well. 1 day when i buatahan then say wahahaha.. getting used to the regime of this pico so js gonna settle down 1st..did a major rescaping today and added new stuffs in it..will update with pics in the nxt few days

:P i got super slow algea line..sign..hope when i get my light stand then it will come in another few weeks time.

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
er... guys, mind tank is 11 x 9 x 12 so = 5 Gallon lor.Anyway.. i checked and realise i got space for a 2feet tank on the right of my pico..if i js remove the cupboard and fans beside it..but mafun la means i gonna move so 1 cupard and 2 fans away.

oh well. 1 day when i buatahan then say wahahaha.. getting used to the regime of this pico so js gonna settle down 1st..did a major rescaping today and added new stuffs in it..will update with pics in the nxt few days

:P i got super slow algea line..sign..hope when i get my light stand then it will come in another few weeks time.

Ok, u can upgrade to a 2ft cube already... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

haha doremon peter stop physcoing me to upgrade la..haha :lol:

Today realise i can js lay my led on a acyrlic sheet then place on top of my tank..leading on my foodtimer and skimmer..hmm actualli get 1 food timer more then can balanced liao...

anyway here are some pic updates as promised...

IMG_6281.jpg

pic of how i lay my LED on..

IMG_6289.jpg

my blue yuma which finally guai guai lay on its rock..glued it la actualli lolz..so cant fly off liao~

IMG_6287.jpg

shot of my new red mushies for new year..with my twins sexys..hehe

IMG_6290.jpg

finally a full shot of my mandarin,no names given to it yet by my gf haha

IMG_6291.jpg

white gsp..look like pretty daisys :)

IMG_6272.jpg

MY beloved pink anemone! Love it ^_^

IMG_6276.jpg

And a wide shot of my tank's newest look :) still missing 1 lumo gsp which i will put in this weekend :wub:

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member

ur tank no space liao...upgrade... :P

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
ur tank no space liao...upgrade... :P

lolol

would have gotten the pink anemone if it was bigger...

feed it massively and sell me when its too big!

how? wanna make your tank look bigger this weekend?

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.