Query

• SRC Member

Hi TopCat,

a very warm welcome to you to our community.

you may, as i used something similar in the past.

but the best its still a DI or RO/DI filter for very pure water.

have fun in reefing

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

Since it uses a o.o1 micron filter plus ionizer, I believe it should be able to remove quite a lot of impurities. You can do a simple test by using a TDS meter, if it reads 0 or close to 0 than this guys do pack a punch.

However, my other concerns will be the cost of the filters and also the frequency of the filter need to be changed/service.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

I would have concerns about 2 major things in this case.

How well the system removes chlorine and other dissolved metals, and how much it will cost to replace the filters in the device.

Carbon filters should be cheap, but if they use a proprietary cartridge, they will probably rip your face off on refills.

At $1388 though, you're better off buying a Carbon/DI or an RO/DI system.

An RO/DI system will cost less than half that, and Carbon/DI less than a quarter of that price. I'm willing to wager the cartridge refills will be cheaper per litre also.

The 0.1 micron particulate filter is nice, but not really that important as far as water for a reef tank, you want it free of nitrates, phosphates, metals, chlorine.

And I doubt its going to be cheap to run huge quantities of water through a 0.1 micron filtration process.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies.

I already have the Mavello filter and am using it daily for my drinking needs and plans to use it to fill up my marine tank.

So I hope it can be done and no need for me to get the RO/DI filters.

Summary features of the filter system :

Filter material – 0.01 micron filter

Ultra fine space fibre filter

Tourmaline (Bio Ceramic Stone)

Coral Calcium

Silverized Activated Carbon

Built-in Calcium Port

LED Filter Life Indicator

I can add calcium if I want to and I can also vary the pH of the water from 3.5 to 10.5 !

The filter cartridge costs $200 each and tells me when it is time to change them. As you can see the filter cartridge is quite comprehensive and I think it will perform just as well as any DI/RO filter. Perhaps better.

LaW - What was your experience using this type of similar filter ? Good ?

Gouldian - The device will indicate to me when it is time to change. I don't have a TDS meter to test. May get one later.

Fuzzy - The particle filter is 0.01 micron and not 0.1 micron. As I already have this filter, I would like to use it instead of getting additional DI/RO filters.

I plan to setup a 100 gallon mixed reef tank. At present I am just reading up and gathering information.

Can one create artificial rock and aqua-scape in a marine tank here in Singapore ? Can we get these epoxy resins and materials to built them here in Singapore ? See these links :

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...hreadid=1188352

http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAc...D&ProdID=69

Is there any good shop I can visit to see fishes, corals and accessories here in Singapore ? I have been to Aquamarin and Reef Depot but nothing much to see.

Thanks again.

Topcat :thanks:

• SRC Member

actually, sometimes if you didnt change the filter for too long. ur TDS meter reading is higher than normal tap water.

good or not good? to be honest im not sure, but i dun see any casualty last time from using it.

my advice is get those RO/DI unit. they gives water of better purity.

marine don't need what we need, they only need those of less pollutant.

all the best and enjoy ur reef.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Supporter

Hi topcat,

you have been to 2 or at least 1 of the best aquariums in SG that sells top notch equipments.

if you are looking at aquascaping and even artificial rocks,you can visit our sponsors Golden octopus.they have many artificial rocks for you to view.

for tank wise,you can also check out your sponsor aquarium artist.

there are alot of branded german products are reefdepot.

as for livestock,you can make a trip to marine life hobbylist which is also 1 of our sponsors here.

for bigger range of livestocks, you can make atrip to lim chu kang area located in the west that have 2 of the biggest player in marine livestock. coral farm and LCK201( thats what they normally call)

the east farms are also very interesting,from iwarna to pinnacle, both are also our sponsor.

enjoy reefing.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
Is there any good shop I can visit to see fishes, corals and accessories here in Singapore ? I have been to Aquamarin and Reef Depot but nothing much to see.

Just wanna check. What do you want to see in a good shop? Lots of nice display tanks? High tech state of the art skimmers? Rainbow coloured, beautiful exotic corals? Schools of clownfish, tangs, angels swimming together? All of the above?

Maybe a good answer would be that most of the above can be found in our LFS. Just not all in 1 shop :lol: Bro Reddevilz has given a v. good overview of what to expect at our LFS.

I suspect you will prob like GO very much.

Just wanna check. What do you want to see in a good shop? Lots of nice display tanks? High tech state of the art skimmers? Rainbow coloured, beautiful exotic corals? Schools of clownfish, tangs, angels swimming together? All of the above?

Maybe a good answer would be that most of the above can be found in our LFS. Just not all in 1 shop :lol: Bro Reddevilz has given a v. good overview of what to expect at our LFS.

I suspect you will prob like GO very much.

Hi,

Manage to get this link to all the LFS. Goggle Maps is really useful as it not only gave me the directions to Golden Octopus but also gave me a frontal shot of the shop. Yeah !

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&hl=...617981&z=11

I am unable to locate Reddevilz's post on the overview of LFS. I tried but he has over 250 pages of posts. Perhaps you can point me to it.

Who or what is GO ?

Any suggestions as to where I can make a custom tank of 60"x17"x20 " at a good price ? Would I be able to get a standard light stand/hood for this tank size ?

Cheers !

Topcat :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Hi,

Manage to get this link to all the LFS. Goggle Maps is really useful as it not only gave me the directions to Golden Octopus but also gave me a frontal shot of the shop. Yeah !

I am unable to locate Reddevilz's post on the overview of LFS. I tried but he has over 250 pages of posts. Perhaps you can point me to it.

Who or what is GO ?

Any suggestions as to where I can make a custom tank of 60"x17"x20 " at a good price ? Would I be able to get a standard light stand/hood for this tank size ?

Cheers !

GO = Golden Octopus

If you go to GO, you will see a shop Atlantic Glass a couple of shops before GO before the bus stop. Their price is pretty reasonable. For light stand/hood, they are based on length of the tank. So 60" is a standard length for the light sets.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
Hi,

Who or what is GO ?

Cheers !

lol bro, reddevilz replied you in post #7 on what to expect when you visit some of the LFS.

I did a thread previously on google maps street view on some of the available frontal/side shots of some of our LFS. Can check it out here: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84090

For your custom tank, are you looking to build only the tank or with cabinet? What kind of lights are you thinking of using? Hood normally comes standard with the cabinet if you order. Quite a few LFS do tank setup, you can always approach them if you want, either for an entire package deal, or just the tank itself. Maybe it would be good to share with us what build you are trying to get, quality and price range, so can advice better?

GO = Golden Octopus

If you go to GO, you will see a shop Atlantic Glass a couple of shops before GO before the bus stop. Their price is pretty reasonable. For light stand/hood, they are based on length of the tank. So 60" is a standard length for the light sets.

GO = Golden Octopus --- how silly of me not to get it :wacko:

But when I first came here, I was and still am confused with all the abbreviations. I did not know even what LFS stands for until now. LOL....

What is FR ? Is there a Abbreviation Reference guide here ?

Will visit OG and AG soon .......

Thanks for your reply.

:paiseh:

• SRC Member
GO = Golden Octopus --- how silly of me not to get it :wacko:

But when I first came here, I was and still am confused with all the abbreviations. I did not know even what LFS stands for until now. LOL....

What is FR ? Is there a Abbreviation Reference guide here ?

Will visit OG and AG soon .......

Thanks for your reply.

:paiseh:

do you have iphone? there's an app for reefing abbreviations.. lol.. ang mo version..

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

lol bro, reddevilz replied you in post #7 on what to expect when you visit some of the LFS.

I did a thread previously on google maps street view on some of the available frontal/side shots of some of our LFS. Can check it out here: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84090

For your custom tank, are you looking to build only the tank or with cabinet? What kind of lights are you thinking of using? Hood normally comes standard with the cabinet if you order. Quite a few LFS do tank setup, you can always approach them if you want, either for an entire package deal, or just the tank itself. Maybe it would be good to share with us what build you are trying to get, quality and price range, so can advice better?

I plan to get something similar to this :

Forum Thread : http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-...tank-61941.html

Light Hood : http://www.3reef.com/forums/588959-post49.html

Tank : http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp250/t...15x/farview.jpg

Lights at a later stage : http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp250/tedd415x/y.jpg

Is a chiller absolutely required for a 100 gals mixed reef tank ? What size/power/brand should the chiller be ?

Any one tried running such a tank size successfully with only 2 powerful HOB protein skimmer (Deltec MCE600), canister filter and a very DSB - without a sump ?

Thanks !

:rolleyes:

• SRC Member

hmmm what about the tank build do you like? To me it's a normal hoodless build that sits on top of a cabinet. The tank can be done v. cheaply by a tank maker. Lightings wise, most lightings come in this kind of hood design, so can find them at a wide range of budget.

More importantly, if you want to sit your tank on an existing cabinet, do ensure that it can support the weight. a 100 gallon tank can weigh ~500kg upwards. I suggest looking at more tank builds either in this thread or possibly even in RC (Reef central) so you are open to many more designs, and in future won't regret your build.

I consider chiller a must if you want to keep corals, especially in such a large tank like yours. I would go for 1/2hp. Reputable brands are Arctica and Teco. Cheaper brands like Resun, Hailea can be considered.

If you want to run a DSB on your display tank, it will require a lot, and I mean a lot of sand. I personally don't like the idea because DSB will look ugly, better to hide it in the sump. I would also recommend you not to use 2 HOB skimmers mainly because you will have many pipes running into your tank. It wouldn't look nice. Also, you will be hard pressed to find a canister filter with powerful enough return to tee off to your chiller before returning to main tank. That means you will need to get an additional return pump, which means more pipes into the tank. Just doesn't sound too feasible to me.

End point: I feel there are many better tank builds out there that you might want to consider. It would be good if you let us know your budget. (cheap, ok, high end) so we can also recommend what equipment you can be looking at.