Hello World

macrobutt

• SRC Member
Being in the Planted arena for 15 years or so.

I am from Singapore and looking forward to start my first marine tank soon.

Please give me your advice and guidance. :paiseh:

Read our "New to the Marine Hobby?" section and support our forum sponsors. :lol:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Being in the Planted arena for 15 years or so.

I am from Singapore and looking forward to start my first marine tank soon.

Please give me your advice and guidance. :paiseh:

Welcome Marcobutt!

Let's learn together lah. Looking forward to hear your plans.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

While I have been reading up a few schools of thoughts in marine from a few forums and been following this interests for a few years. I do not have confidence maintaining a perfect balance between the hobby and of course, the monies.

I guess I will trial up with a 2 footer I had received recently from a friend.

I will be DIYing the IOS for a 2x1x1.5ft 6mm glass tank with a acrylic of 5mm. I am considering adding a MP10, so how will it affect the IOS? What is a good height for the IOS input? Can't really find anything mentioning these. Thanks!

Regards,

Macrobutt

Regards,

Macrobutt

6mm is risky bro... I would go min. 8mm if not 10mm.

Ios overflow just need to be ard 1" below your water level, and fix some teeth at the top will do the trick.

How would a wave maker affect the operation of IOS, anyone? Or is it something I don't have to be worried about?

Regards,

Macrobutt

While I have been reading up a few schools of thoughts in marine from a few forums and been following this interests for a few years. I do not have confidence maintaining a perfect balance between the hobby and of course, the monies.

I guess I will trial up with a 2 footer I had received recently from a friend.

I will be DIYing the IOS for a 2x1x1.5ft 6mm glass tank with a acrylic of 5mm. I am considering adding a MP10, so how will it affect the IOS? What is a good height for the IOS input? Can't really find anything mentioning these. Thanks!

Regards,

Macrobutt

if budget allow, it is good too have a sump tank instead of a IOS in my view . It will helps alot to have that extra space for your equipment.. Cos you will never know what types of "upgrade" you might want to have when this hobby get more and more addicited .. :eyebrow::eyebrow:

• SRC Member
if budget allow, it is good too have a sump tank instead of a IOS in my view . It will helps alot to have that extra space for your equipment.. Cos you will never know what types of "upgrade" you might want to have when this hobby get more and more addicited .. :eyebrow::eyebrow:

yeah i agree to what he said, + sump tank increase your water volume, partially adds on to ur tank's stability.

and a great welcome to this forum and to ur salty life. :lol:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

yeah i agree to what he said, + sump tank increase your water volume, partially adds on to ur tank's stability.

and a great welcome to this forum and to ur salty life. :lol:

I definitely agree with having a bigger tank. I am only testing some theories la, and this current tank I am using now would likely become my sump in the future :D.

Just some simple updates,

1) Tank washed and cleaned

2) bought an acrylic cut-to-size from Dama,

3) bought a tank safe Bossil BS-2100 silicon from Hardware store

4) Ordered a Dremel 300 from RS Singapore.

5) bought a Styrofoam and cut to size for tank's base.

6) Bought some (some is an understatement) "dead rocks" from a reefer here.

Things to do,

1) Find a 2ft by 1ft rack,

2) silicon acrylic into tank,

3) find suitable lightings (still considering between a MH 70W or T5:})

BTW, I need help select a low heat pump suitable for a 2 footer. I am thinking of putting the out flow from the pump low and behind the rocks via a rain bar to improve the water circulations in the area.

Also, I prefer a finer sand. I will be getting live sand from Iwana together with few packets of NSW after the tank is cured. What grade should I be getting? With the combo abov, will I face problems such as sand storm in the tank?

I am taking all my time to stock up this tank. In my plan, it will probably be cycling for a couple of months and maybe house a pair of true clown with anemone for six months or so.

Regards,

Macrobutt

• SRC Member
I definitely agree with having a bigger tank. I am only testing some theories la, and this current tank I am using now would likely become my sump in the future :D.

Just some simple updates,

1) Tank washed and cleaned

2) bought an acrylic cut-to-size from Dama,

3) bought a tank safe Bossil BS-2100 silicon from Hardware store

4) Ordered a Dremel 300 from RS Singapore.

5) bought a Styrofoam and cut to size for tank's base.

6) Bought some (some is an understatement) "dead rocks" from a reefer here.

Things to do,

1) Find a 2ft by 1ft rack,

2) silicon acrylic into tank,

3) find suitable lightings (still considering between a MH 70W or T5:})

BTW, I need help select a low heat pump suitable for a 2 footer. I am thinking of putting the out flow from the pump low and behind the rocks via a rain bar to improve the water circulations in the area.

Also, I prefer a finer sand. I will be getting live sand from Iwana together with few packets of NSW after the tank is cured. What grade should I be getting? With the combo abov, will I face problems such as sand storm in the tank?

I am taking all my time to stock up this tank. In my plan, it will probably be cycling for a couple of months and maybe house a pair of true clown with anemone for six months or so.

another nano in the making!

RIO is quite good as a return...

are you getting a chiller?

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...