Cycling tank

Ketchup

Yup, its about $80. Just give Victor a call and he'll give you a quote based on tank size and prob location. They will pump NSW straight into your tank...much easier than mixing salt with tapwater (which also comes with all the unwanted heavy metals, nitrates, phos, etc.).

Off Topic: Has anyone ever tested the phosphate and nitrates in Iwarna's NSW?

I tested CF's and it has high nitrate and phosphate level.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
No the bacteria will not be affected whether you pour the NSW or sand in first. Putting the sand in before the water is more for

more practical reasons.

If you put the water in before the sand you will likely be seeing some seriously cloudy water, and sand all over your LR (depending on how fine your sand is)

Also more sand will end up in your sump or filtration if you put the sand in after the water, a lot of fine particles will be suspended in the water column.

Put the eggcrate, fibreglass, LR etc, then the sand.

Place a large plate or dish on the sand, then gently pour the NSW in over this plate.

It will minimize the amount of cloudiness of your water, and will also reduce the amount of sand ending up in your filtration system.

ok.. make sense to me too :) initially i was thinking of using the method i saw online about using the cloudy water to test the wave flow.. but i think i will throw in the fibreglass rock 1st, add sand (fine, then less fine) add in NSW, then add in another pack or 2 of fine sand and on the wavebox/wavemaker.. When all settle, then i add in my liverock :)

• SRC Member
Yup, its about $80. Just give Victor a call and he'll give you a quote based on tank size and prob location. They will pump NSW straight into your tank...much easier than mixing salt with tapwater (which also comes with all the unwanted heavy metals, nitrates, phos, etc.).

I think NSW is good for initial setup, i shudders to think of making like 600-700 litres of saltwater :P

For our 2ft, we use a RO/DI and mix with salt and it works equally well.. All depends on tank size...

Another reason for using NSW is that i feel it may help the cycling process.. :)

ok.. make sense to me too :) initially i was thinking of using the method i saw online about using the cloudy water to test the wave flow.. but i think i will throw in the fibreglass rock 1st, add sand (fine, then less fine) add in NSW, then add in another pack or 2 of fine sand and on the wavebox/wavemaker.. When all settle, then i add in my liverock :)

Ketchup,

if you are using Live sand, the water is going to turn very very very cloudy/ mulky. I was using the black live sand and it took hours (like 4 - 6 hrs) to settle. The visibility was so bad that I cannot do anything for the whole night. (I used black sand, not sure about the white ones).

Also when you place your rock, it is better to place them on the base instead of sandbed. If your rocks foundation are on the sandbed, next time when you siphon the sandbed for maintenance or keep any fishes that mess with your sandbed (like my jawfish), the rockscape might crumble.

Just some points for you to ponder.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

Ketchup,

if you are using Live sand, the water is going to turn very very very cloudy/ mulky. I was using the black live sand and it took hours (like 4 - 6 hrs) to settle. The visibility was so bad that I cannot do anything for the whole night. (I used black sand, not sure about the white ones).

Also when you place your rock, it is better to place them on the base instead of sandbed. If your rocks foundation are on the sandbed, next time when you siphon the sandbed for maintenance or keep any fishes that mess with your sandbed (like my jawfish), the rockscape might crumble.

I added live sand from Iwarna, follow by dead rocks and NSW from Iwarna. Water reasonably clear after 10 mins or so. Also take note that I did not run any mechanical filter currently.

If you are pumping in water via pipe, cut a corner of the bag and tie it to the outflow. Water should flow out from the main opening of the plastic bag, turn on the tap slowly. Unlike marine tank, planted tanks have a big layer of fertilizers that we do not want to expose to water directly and our gravels could be as thin as 1-2 cm. Using plastic bag method is very common among the planted community.

Regards,

Macrobutt

I added live sand from Iwarna, follow by dead rocks and NSW from Iwarna. Water reasonably clear after 10 mins or so. Also take note that I did not run any mechanical filter currently.

If you are pumping in water via pipe, cut a corner of the bag and tie it to the outflow. Water should flow out from the main opening of the plastic bag, turn on the tap slowly. Unlike marine tank, planted tanks have a big layer of fertilizers that we do not want to expose to water directly and our gravels could be as thin as 1-2 cm. Using plastic bag method is very common among the planted community.

you used the white sand Macro?

I used Nature Ocean black Argonite sand.

erm... I didn't really see....

It came in a sealed bucket and 2 packets of white sand inside. Which is that?

well, its white sand then.

black sand are black in colour :)

• SRC Member
Ketchup,

Hmm... i use black live sand also leh.. jacky :P nm, my intention is to put most live sand in 1st, esp the fine one into the tank 1st... then add NSW. As for live rock placement... if you look at my design.. it will be on the eggcrate actually... so very little sand on top of eggcrate unless i want to make it very high on certain sections :P The eggcrate design also ensure that i wont disturb the the central part of the sand bed no matter what i do :P Of course, i did leave gaps and holes for the snails and whatever to move around :P