Will Red Leg Hermit Crab control diatoms

Most of my rock r going to be fully covered by diatoms or brown algae, i am running FR for 2 weeks plus for my new tank, and adding Bac also. Will Red Leg Hermit Crab control diatoms or brown algae on the liverock? If so, i will go get some to control the algae. Thanks.

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

Read this.

Depends on what media you have in your FR, if it's not for nitrate reduction, it'll not help improve your diatom problem.

Diatom requires nitrates and silicates, get any of these off your tank, your problem will be solved.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

i see, thanks bro very good piece of information. =) But is there any fishes or invent that feed on them? or i will need to wait for them to die on their own? Thanks

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

Least cost option is to wait it out. My view is can't really count on any critter to fully remove the diatoms. Once the silicates are exhausted, they will disappear and be replaced by another type of nuisance - algae... Then you have another problem to solve - that of nitrates and phospates.

Diatoms are normal for new tank setups. If they appear in established tanks, it normally means there's a recent introduction of silicates.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi,

so will the blue leg crab or red leg crab remove the algae?

thanks..

They are omnivores and also scavenger.. I kept blue leg hermit before.. they are good for clear algae and detritus on rock... but the cons about them, they do topple rock and also killing snail for for shell also for fun :(

Cheers...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

They are omnivores and also scavenger.. I kept blue leg hermit before.. they are good for clear algae and detritus on rock... but the cons about them, they do topple rock and also killing snail for for shell also for fun :(

Cheers...

yeah my hermit also do that, he just want the shell and later he dont want it anymore. Turbo snail is great they clean up all my diatom algae at one time when my whole rock is cover by brown algae and diatom. Urchin also good but when they around coraline algae like very difficult to come up.