Filter socks

FuEl

Got my hands on my filter socks shipped directly from the states. These are 200 micron filter socks, so efficient at removing detritus that I need to clean mine every 3 days to prevent it from clogging. Limitations of the usual filter wool is that once it gets clogged, water tends to flow around it rather than through it.

Cleaning is simple, soak in bleach for 24 hours. Wash it till there is almost no chlorine smell and leave it to air dry in the sun for 24 hours. After which it can be used again.

post-664-1262780922_thumb.jpg

post-664-1262780940_thumb.jpg

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

wow bro, like that i rathre buy filter wool.. change position of it daily, 1 week throw away, not as tedious as what you did..

salute you for your patience in washing!!!! :bow:

quick question, does it have detrius build up at your sump ? cos i think filter wool does left those dirt even though it's filtering...

wow bro, like that i rathre buy filter wool.. change position of it daily, 1 week throw away, not as tedious as what you did..

salute you for your patience in washing!!!! :bow:

quick question, does it have detrius build up at your sump ? cos i think filter wool does left those dirt even though it's filtering...

If you use it before your tank is running it should limit detritus in the sump. I used it after my tank was running so there is already detritus in my sump, but no more will end up there. Almost no particles passes through it as it is 200 microns, very very fine. Even baby brine shrimp gets trapped by this.

Washing is not hard. I just soak it in bleach and let the bleach do its job. I bought 2 socks so while one is being bleached & dried the other is doing its job.

If you use it before your tank is running it should limit detritus in the sump. I used it after my tank was running so there is already detritus in my sump, but no more will end up there. Almost no particles passes through it as it is 200 microns, very very fine. Even baby brine shrimp gets trapped by this.

Washing is not hard. I just soak it in bleach and let the bleach do its job. I bought 2 socks so while one is being bleached & dried the other is doing its job.

hmmm Fuel, just wondering..... 50% of the stuff in your house are marine things?

socks sounds like a good idea for those with sumps.

I remembered I hated mine with all the detritus at the base of the sump.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

:rolleyes: Bro, PM moi which online site U ordered ya safety 'thongy'. :P

Got my hands on my filter socks shipped directly from the states. These are 200 micron filter socks, so efficient at removing detritus that I need to clean mine every 3 days to prevent it from clogging. Limitations of the usual filter wool is that once it gets clogged, water tends to flow around it rather than through it.

Cleaning is simple, soak in bleach for 24 hours. Wash it till there is almost no chlorine smell and leave it to air dry in the sun for 24 hours. After which it can be used again.

post-664-1262780922_thumb.jpg

post-664-1262780940_thumb.jpg

My friend ordered for me. Not sure he order from where.

But a reefer is ordering from marinedepot.com in bulk order forum. They have filter socks too.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_Depot_20...IFMMEFS-vi.html

I would recommend at least 2, optimal would be 3. So that you have enough socks to rotate between cleanings.

but to use bleach to clean it is risky? what if u dont wash it clean haha...

Sun dry under natural sunlight. Sunlight breaks down the bleach. If you afraid after the sock dries you can wash it in a bucket again and add anti-chlorine before using.

Sun dry under natural sunlight. Sunlight breaks down the bleach. If you afraid after the sock dries you can wash it in a bucket again and add anti-chlorine before using.

or soak again in food grade vinegar (:

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member
My friend ordered for me. Not sure he order from where.

But a reefer is ordering from marinedepot.com in bulk order forum. They have filter socks too.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_Depot_20...IFMMEFS-vi.html

I would recommend at least 2, optimal would be 3. So that you have enough socks to rotate between cleanings.

hello bro from the pic it kinda seem that the top looks pretty big can fit standard size tubes??

for those with sump?

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member
Hey Fuel,

Can show how you attach them in the sump? Thanks

What is the different dimension mentioned in Marinedepot? diameter of the opening or the length of the socks??

Should be length of the socks...

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• 3 months later...

Hey Junkai,

everything alright on your side?

I would like to hijack your thread a bit. I had a few water quality issues and I build a prefilter with the use of common milkfilter socks.

Here is the link in our forum in South Africa : DIY filtersock prefilter

Cheers

Marcel

Thanks for sharing Marcel. Very ingenious idea. I might have to look if I can find milk filters in Singapore. Getting rather tired from fish chores, inclusive of bleaching and washing filter socks. Would be great if I can just dispose of them.

So, when do you have enough albino ocellaris to send to Singapore? :eyebrow:

Thanks for sharing Marcel. Very ingenious idea. I might have to look if I can find milk filters in Singapore. Getting rather tired from fish chores, inclusive of bleaching and washing filter socks. Would be great if I can just dispose of them.

So, when do you have enough albino ocellaris to send to Singapore? :eyebrow:

I expected your question. I made a deal for the world distribution rights, except for South Africa.

First release should take place around July 2010.

Yes Junkai, these filtersocks are so cheap, I just throw them away. Ask a supplier for dairy equipment, they should have. They come in different sizes, so you have to see what would be good for you to use.

Keep in touch

Marcel

<!--quoteo(post=861555:date=Jan 6 2010, 09:30 PM:name=FuEl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FuEl @ Jan 6 2010, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=861555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you use it before your tank is running it should limit detritus in the sump. I used it after my tank was running so there is already detritus in my sump, but no more will end up there. Almost no particles passes through it as it is 200 microns, very very fine. Even baby brine shrimp gets trapped by this.

Washing is not hard. I just soak it in bleach and let the bleach do its job. I bought 2 socks so while one is being bleached & dried the other is doing its job.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hmmm Fuel, just wondering..... 50% of the stuff in your house are marine things?

socks sounds like a good idea for those with sumps.

I remembered I hated mine with all the detritus at the base of the sump.

Can the filter clean by high pressure water spray rather than soak in bleach? Will the high pressure spray spoiled the filter

?

Can the filter clean by high pressure water spray rather than soak in bleach? Will the high pressure spray spoiled the filter

?

Yes they can be cleaned by high pressure water spray but certain stains would need bleach to get it out completely.

• 1 month later...

Hi FuEl,

the best application that I found for filter socks is after the FR... it's amazing how much rowa finds it's way into our tanks...

:score:

Didn't occur to me to use a filter sock after the FR. :idea:

Then it will surely cut rowa scatter & even limit the browning of tank water

whenever replace/top up new rowa. This has been the biggest turn off for me to use rowa consistently.