Fluidized Bed Filter

Kong

Hi guys,

Does anyone in this community own a fluidized bed filter? Just wanted to know if its a good investment.

Anyway, is it in the singapore market already?

I've read from the net that this thing has the ability to rid of all harmful properties (ammonia & stuff) and its a few times more efficient than the skimmer. This actually interest me alot as it is a very simple equipment which can perform wonders.

I've also seen a DIY of the unit. Very easy to build one ourselves.

So, please feedback for those who has this wonder filter.

Hi guys,

Does anyone in this community own a fluidized bed filter? Just wanted to know if its a good investment.

Anyway, is it in the singapore market already?

I've read from the net that this thing has the ability to rid of all harmful properties (ammonia & stuff) and its a few times more efficient than the skimmer. This actually interest me alot as it is a very simple equipment which can perform wonders.

I've also seen a DIY of the unit. Very easy to build one ourselves.

So, please feedback for those who has this wonder filter.

This product is available in singapore but not many LFS is carrying it (some LFS even ask me what is it).

As for the efficiency as compared to skimmer, i can't give you a answer as i have no experience with that. But from what I know, this is usually used more for bio filtration, which serve the same purpose of using LR and DSB? (someone correct me if i am wrong as i am still very new to marines)

A FBF is a biological filter in converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate, and stop there, different function from DSB & skimmer. It is highly efficient and takes up little space. It's using tiny sand to creates large surface area for bacteria grow.

I've just visit reefcentral yesterday. Cos I'm considering replacing my bioballs with FBF. Bioballs cause high nitrate because it will trap detritus over time and almost impossible to clean. To my disappointment, some mentioned that FBF is the same as bioballs, a nitrate factory.

I've a strong feeling that using bioballs & FBF are different. One trap detritus and one don't. Even though both don't remove nitrate, bioballs should be much efficient in producing nitrate than a FBF. Therefore FBF shuold be a better alternative. Please comment if anyone has experience in this. :thanks:

Sorry, missed out the attachement.

Great article, Kong. I think my guess is right. There's other shortcoming of FBF not mentioned in the article.

1) Oxygen will be depleted by FBF. This will not happen in a trickle filter

2) FBF will clash (bacteria die off) in very short time (like 6hrs most) if pump failed

I know petmart carries Red Sea brand selling $200+. I'm looking for Otto brand which is $70+. But no idea who carries it. C328 used to have it.

Great article, Kong. I think my guess is right. There's other shortcoming of FBF not mentioned in the article.

1) Oxygen will be depleted by FBF. This will not happen in a trickle filter

2) FBF will clash (bacteria die off) in very short time (like 6hrs most) if pump failed

I know petmart carries Red Sea brand selling $200+. I'm looking for Otto brand which is $70+. But no idea who carries it. C328 used to have it.

C328 still have stock for Otto brand :)

Correction:

1. As long as there is trickling of water through media, be it sand, coral chips, plastic balls, aerobic bacteria will use up oxygen.

2. Aerobic Bacteria will die off regardless of whether its a trickle filter, FBF, canister, sump... as long as oxygen is depleted for whatever reasons.

Bioballs, FBF, trickle filters will all produce nitrates because you can't run away from the fact they are ideal conditions for aerobic bacteria (which does the job well of converting ammonia and nitrites to NITRATES). Fouling due to entrapment of bio-matter will happen to a different extend with each method but much lesser with the FBF.

Most systems can cope with ammonia and nitrites once the bacteria is established when the cycling period is over. It's the problem of having a tank that processes nitrates naturally instead of troublesome water changes, setting up a hard to tune denitrator, using expensive enzymes such as AZNO3 etc... and that's where NNR comes in, eg. the use of DSB or ample LR.

Correction:

1. As long as there is trickling of water through media, be it sand, coral chips, plastic balls, aerobic bacteria will use up oxygen.

2. Aerobic Bacteria will die off regardless of whether its a trickle filter, FBF, canister, sump... as long as oxygen is depleted for whatever reasons.

AT, Let me elaborate.

1) FBF use up dissolved oxygen faster than trickle filter. Reason is trickle has constant supply of oxygen (wet/dry) on the media, whereas FBF is enclosed in a cylinder.

2) Aerobic Bacteria will die off faster than trickle filter. Reason is the same as (1) above.

That's the problem with me, always like to write so short, causing misinterpretation. :paiseh:

Yes most reef system can cope with ammonia & nitrite, but a fish only system may not. e.g. one may choose to feed alot. Not sure if LR alone can cope with it. If it's a reef system, I'll definitely go for LR+DSB. But now I'm coping with a FO system. Endless debate.

Great, at least I'm affirm with this, it will benefit to replace my bioballs with FBF.

• SRC Member

Yes, Clementi Florist and Aquarium has stock for the OTTO FBF (about 2 weeks back). I did some research on the Internet about FBF a few months back and came across a user comment that it re-established itself rather quickly as compared to other biological filtration after a prolonged power failure.

I bought my OTTO brand FBF from qian hu at abt $80 quite sometime ago, you might like to go there to check it out.

You can put media like AC or PO4 absorbing media in the FBF and I read that the media can last longer and more surface area are avaliable as the particles are suspended (more surface area) and no dead spot formed compared to using a filter bag.

I bought my OTTO brand FBF from qian hu at abt $80 quite sometime ago, you might like to go there to check it out.

You can put media like AC or PO4 absorbing media in the FBF and I read that the media can last longer and more surface area are avaliable as the particles are suspended (more surface area) and no dead spot formed compared to using a filter bag.

Don't bother to go there n look for it. Confirmed don't have as i have been checking on that for very long liao!

Btw, just curious. Does the FBF u bought previously came with a small pack of stone like thing?

• SRC Member

Qi@^ H~ stuff quite ex... I got my FBF at AquaMart at Jalan Besar... They were having 25% discount... Cementi also have at cheaper prices...

:)

To answer the question fully...

No, a FBJ cannot replace a skimmer.

A skimmer should complement a biological filter because a skimmer exports out dissolved organics and thus helps to greatly ease the bioload off a biological filter.

• 9 months later...