Bubble algae

escagort

• SRC Member
Hi

Saw some of this round green bubble on a live rock, are those ok? How to get rid of them?

i have never encountered this kind of algae but they are known to cause even greater problems for u.

Here are some measures i found off the net for u.

Getting Rid of Bubble Algae

So what do you do when see this stuff in your tank? You have a few options:

* Make sure your water parameters are in line, i.e. 0 nitrates and very low levels of phosphates. Run a protein skimmer if you're not already and keep up with those regular partial water changes.

* Manual Removal - very carefully grab the bubble algae towards the base and use a gentle pulling and twisting motion to free it from the rock without breaking the bubble. Ventricaria ventricosa feels like large rubber marbles and they can burst thereby releasing thousands of new bubble algae cells into your tank. If they've already burst remove the bubble sack anyway. Don't let them get too big or you run the risk of them releasing the spores before you can remove them. Keep the upper hand here.

* The Emerald Crab is reported to eat bubble algae, which variety we don't know. They didn't touch Ventricaria ventricosa it in our tanks. Perhaps it's not the first thing they are interested in consuming. If there is plenty of other stuff in the tank for them to eat you are out of luck.

* Rabbitfish and some Tangs may eat them. I've noticed our Yellow Tang nibbling at the deflated bubble sacs but not going after the growing bubbles.

* Some species of sea urchins (Diadema) may eat bubble algae. They may wreak havoc on your rock work and coralline algae too though.

Emerald Crab is known to be the best way for almost all i have read.. will need to prevent the source of the problem after getting rid of them like all other algaes...

GL cheers

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.