Advise needed for return pump for 1.5ft cube

clkong

• SRC Member

Hi,

i intend to setup a 1.5 cube tank (about 91 litre),

the return pump will be connected from sump to the chiller (1/5hp) then back to the main tank (around 1,5m height).

I will have a separate wavemaker (likely viotech mp10) in the main tank.

what should be my return pump flow rate? Will eheim 1250(1200l/h) or aquabee 1000 (1000l/h) be sufficent?

Please advise. Thank You.

Would suggest. U contact dr evil. He might have some lobangs for u :)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Since your return pump will go through chiller first, then back to main tank, you it's powerful enough.

I would check your chiller min. flowrate, and bump it up by ~30%. Think 1/5 chiller for a 1.5 cube is way way way overkill.

• SRC Member

Since your return pump will go through chiller first, then back to main tank, you it's powerful enough.

I would check your chiller min. flowrate, and bump it up by ~30%. Think 1/5 chiller for a 1.5 cube is way way way overkill.

, when it was delivered to my house, by looking at the size haha without any experience with chiller I can also tell it is over kill, I will let it run first before I decide to downgrade it to 1/10

, when it was delivered to my house, by looking at the size haha without any experience with chiller I can also tell it is over kill, I will let it run first before I decide to downgrade it to 1/10

I thought it was a typo :P

I am using 1/15 hp only

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member

Going thru the chiller then to main tank with 1200L. IMO, it's insuffiient

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

I am using only a 800lph pump to push my 1.5 ft cube tank water to my 1/15hp chiller and return.

no sump.

some reference for you.

wondering if using a 1/5 HP, you will need a higher lph pump.

but having too high a lph pump, you might create sandstorm/ whirlpool in your 1.5 ft cube.

• SRC Member

i ve try running the chiller in my 3ft+ tank, take 30mins to chill the water from 27.5 to 26.9. it takes about 3.5 hrs to kick in again.

my estimation it will take 15 mins to chill a 1.5ft tank, guess i will just keep it then.

what is the disadvanage of running a low lph pump, agree with jackywongto that anything higher will create a sandstorm

another query on viotech mp10 wavemaker,

will it be too powerful for a 1.5ft tank? i do not like the look of tank water level swinging left and right, it is like having a storm.

understand that there is a lagoon mode setting, any other good reason to justify spending almost 400 on it?

another query on viotech mp10 wavemaker,

will it be too powerful for a 1.5ft tank? i do not like the look of tank water level swinging left and right, it is like having a storm.

understand that there is a lagoon mode setting, any other good reason to justify spending almost 400 on it?

heat reduction in the tank and the short pulse mode is awesome.

• SRC Member

I guess most guys are addicted to high tech toys. Jacky has mentioned the 2 biggest benefits of the mp10, but if you ask me, it is not a must have.

but definitely good to have :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

i intend to setup a 1.5 cube tank (about 91 litre),

the return pump will be connected from sump to the chiller (1/5hp) then back to the main tank (around 1,5m height).

I will have a separate wavemaker (likely viotech mp10) in the main tank.

what should be my return pump flow rate? Will eheim 1250(1200l/h) or aquabee 1000 (1000l/h) be sufficent?

Please advise. Thank You.

Hi Bro, our setup quite similar. I'm using eheim compact 1000. It allows you to adjust the flow rate to up to 1000l/h

So far looks good and no whirlpool. Bought it at Aquamarin at $55.

I'm replacing my other return pump to that too as the current std pump is not powerful enough.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

at last, manage to set up my 1.5 ft cube.

my current setup is using a ehiem 1250 as a return pump without going thru the chiller..

my assessment .... the flow is weak and is definitely not enough:(, added in mp10 as my wavemaker and what a cool toy :)

as for the 1/5hp chiller, it took just 10mins to chill 0.5 degrees...i am happy with the chiller :)