My First Tank !

starwars71

• SRC Member

Hi to all reefers ! My very first adventure into Marine Fishes.

Thanks to all the reefers i have met during my road to discovery of this wonderful and fulfilling hobby and very expensive!(hope my wife is not reading this... ) .

Just finished my last scaping.

Pls comment on my setup and also how to improve further.

3 x 1.5 x 2

Monzter SM150

MP40w ( under repair)

Dymax 2600L/h return

Skimz FR with SORB4

Artica 1/5hp

MaxSpect 160w (coming soon) Current using 4 x T5

Cheers!

post-4250-12699563204546_thumb.jpg

post-4250-1269956632658_thumb.jpg

post-4250-1269956640718_thumb.jpg

nice to see your tank Starwars!

great progression photos.

Saw that some of your corals are rather large. maybe choose smaller specimen so that you can place more varieties in your tank.

Also is that a red gonio i see on the sandbed? I think they prefer more light and flow.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Thanks for the comments guys!

Newbie mistakes in getting big specimens... too greedy.

Next target are rics and playing around with super glue gel for placement.

That gonio is green, i wished it was red. I trying to place it higher but looking for a good placement where it wont cause trouble with its neighbor.

Hi Wilson, Another mistake on the return pump. Ears too light listening to LSF people... put lesson learn.

Well it like majong, dont listen to people must pay the price for people gaming ! hahaha!

At lest its not expensive pump, not so heart pain...

That gonio is green, i wished it was red. I trying to place it higher but looking for a good placement where it wont cause trouble with its neighbor.

Hi Wilson, Another mistake on the return pump. Ears too light listening to LSF people... put lesson learn.

Well it like majong, dont listen to people must pay the price for people gaming ! hahaha!

Part and parcel of learning bro. take heart.

I am still paying school fees here and there... but at the same time, you are getting wiser bit by bit :)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

bro... just gimme a SMS if you need any advice... my advice free eh... dun need to pay back one...

btw, the mandarin went to report to Maker le... :(

very sad man...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC Member

bro... just gimme a SMS if you need any advice... my advice free eh... dun need to pay back one...

btw, the mandarin went to report to Maker le... :(

very sad man...

Thanks Bro, Will take up your offer.

Sad to hear about the mandarin. At least we tried our best to keep it alive.

When free to shop? Can meet up and chat.

• SRC Member

Part and parcel of learning bro. take heart.

I am still paying school fees here and there... but at the same time, you are getting wiser bit by bit :)

True true..

Jacky, have a quick question since you the in-house guru for maxspect :eyebrow: , would the maxspect 160w be enough coverage for my tank size? Was thinking between the 170w and 160w...

True true..

Jacky, have a quick question since you the in-house guru for maxspect :eyebrow: , would the maxspect 160w be enough coverage for my tank size? Was thinking between the 170w and 160w...

Guru I am not lah, but I sure can share with you my thoughts.

your tank width is 1.5 ft

with the overflow box on your left, u are probably left with 1 feet or less on the left side which means that probably you will not be having any scape there right? It corals are going to be a minimum over the left hand side, then most of the corals will be concentrated on the right hand side. which means that the 40 cm length version might be sufficient for you.

But the flip side is that

1) you will have dimmer lighting at the edge of your tank

2) most corals will have to be placed on the middle to right side.

Having 80 cm will give you a better spread across the entire tank and let it look more even.

Do note that as a result you will probably have more algae growth in your overflow box which are harder to access.

but you can expand your scaping to left side if you ever need to without worry of space.

Personally I would go for 170W as I do not really like the idea of having 30W LEDs unless if I intend to keep SPS and I like a more even lighting view in my tank. One person you should talk to is Justin. He has a 3 feet tank and used both the 160W and 170W. So his view should be more weighted.

Another thought is that IF the pricing of the 170W is the same as 2X 110W, then why don't get 2 units of 110W with a longer bracket.

You will have more flexibility and prob easier to resell it in the future. never really put much thought into this but maybe something for you to explore and decide.

• SRC Member

Guru I am not lah, but I sure can share with you my thoughts.

your tank width is 1.5 ft

with the overflow box on your left, u are probably left with 1 feet or less on the left side which means that probably you will not be having any scape there right? It corals are going to be a minimum over the left hand side, then most of the corals will be concentrated on the right hand side. which means that the 40 cm length version might be sufficient for you.

But the flip side is that

1) you will have dimmer lighting at the edge of your tank

2) most corals will have to be placed on the middle to right side.

Having 80 cm will give you a better spread across the entire tank and let it look more even.

Do note that as a result you will probably have more algae growth in your overflow box which are harder to access.

but you can expand your scaping to left side if you ever need to without worry of space.

Personally I would go for 170W as I do not really like the idea of having 30W LEDs unless if I intend to keep SPS and I like a more even lighting view in my tank. One person you should talk to is Justin. He has a 3 feet tank and used both the 160W and 170W. So his view should be more weighted.

Another thought is that IF the pricing of the 170W is the same as 2X 110W, then why don't get 2 units of 110W with a longer bracket.

You will have more flexibility and prob easier to resell it in the future. never really put much thought into this but maybe something for you to explore and decide.

Thanks Bro for the advice. You have a point with the coverage of the lights which might end up wasting precious real estate in the tank... Will give razali a call to see possible to change.

hey bro, i f you ordered the 160, you might also want to consider getting anohter 160W from Justin.

2 weeks old unit selling at $400.

• SRC Member

hey bro, i f you ordered the 160, you might also want to consider getting anohter 160W from Justin.

2 weeks old unit selling at $400.

A bit late liao, i would have gotten it from Justin... have spoken to razali and have change to the 170w. Passing it to me tomorrow.

Sorry bro.

Thanks Bro, Will take up your offer.

Sad to hear about the mandarin. At least we tried our best to keep it alive.

When free to shop? Can meet up and chat.

too bad it was a male. If female, we could have done more.

I'm planning to go on sat. Morning/afternoon not confirm yet. Let me know if ur on. I'll SMS you once I confirm with eniram and Mossrope.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC Member

too bad it was a male. If female, we could have done more.

I'm planning to go on sat. Morning/afternoon not confirm yet. Let me know if ur on. I'll SMS you once I confirm with eniram and Mossrope.

Sure thing Bro. Count me in. Good to tag along and learn from you guys...

A bit late liao, i would have gotten it from Justin... have spoken to razali and have change to the 170w. Passing it to me tomorrow.

Sorry bro.

no worries. yeah Razali provides great service.