what is the reason my touch coral not sticking on the rock

zebradanio

• SRC Member

Touch coral = torch coral or what? Pls clarify, haven't heard of touch coral before...

Torch coral? Like this one?

GreenTorchCoral.jpg

If you say the torch coral is not sticking on the rock then I'm confused. Maybe you can clarify what you actually mean.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

yes, i mean torch coral. As per picture.

I suppose you mean the flesh of the torch corals fell off their skeleton. In this case, most likely due to too high currents blowing at the torch coral.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• Senior Reefer

wow this is the first time i'm seeing this!! full tissue bail out from euphyllids! did the entire polyps just float out of their skeleton and land elsewhere? i've only heard of this "skeleton bailing" in elegance corals so far. The bailed out polyp can settle and grow a new skeleton. but in the tank it is highly unlikely and the chances are next to zero. in the wild they do this to escape stress. In the tank, you need to identify the stress factor first

something is not right here thus this phenomenon. while there are a thousand and one reasons why it's not right, it's too much to state. so i will just identify the basic requirements of these coral so you can identify what's wrong.

medium flow - the polyps should be waving around, not trashing around.

random flow - no laminar flow to avoid tissue tearing

medium to higher lighting - if using MH, shade it. they prefer med lighting

feeding - they need to be fed lightly, like mysis. once every 2-3 weeks

parameters - ensure proper calcium, magnesium and kh levels. these corals are more sensitive to these parameters

temp - dont go above 28. ideally 27

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/e_borneman3.html

http://www.tidalgardens.com/pages/tutorials/aquaculture.html

"Polyp bailout is the process where some stony corals eject themselves from their skeleton and drift to a new location. Once the polyp settles, a new skeleton is formed and a new colony begins. Bailouts are almost always a response to stress and is often a last ditch attempt for survival. If you notice the bailout of a coral in your tank, it may be time to do some additional testing to see if there is a problem in the reef tank."

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393882

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Thank for information, anywhere i had switch off my wave maker now. by the way, my tank temperature always setting at 26 degree so i dont think is temperature problem. (The problem is recently i had switch off the chiller full day when i am study beside the tank because noisy and feel hot).

what i can do for the flesh fell off the skeleton? one by one fell off the skeleton at the moment, my base of tank got few flesh already!

• Senior Reefer

Thank for information, anywhere i had switch off my wave maker now. by the way, my tank temperature always setting at 26 degree so i dont think is temperature problem. (The problem is recently i had switch off the chiller full day when i am study beside the tank because noisy and feel hot).

what i can do for the flesh fell off the skeleton? one by one fell off the skeleton at the moment, my base of tank got few flesh already!

you first have to fix the root problem so that this will not happen again.

as for the flesh at the bottom, pray that they grow a new calcerous skeleton like they would in the wild. very unlikely because in the wild they do this to find favourable conditions. in your tank, it's same condition everywhere so very unlikely they will survive.

• SRC Member

Agree with with lemon. For coral,lighting n temp very important.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Other than checking what others suggested.

check Ca and Po4.

i experienced LPS deteched when Ca is too low or PO4 too high.

and it might be due to infection as well.

all the best.

• Like 1

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||