Need advice on anemone

pweesng

Hi all,

well, cut the long story short.

I bought an anemone about a month ago.

It was doing very well for almost a month. i twas open real big, and the tips were all swollen! NICE!

Anyway, recently, it stop opening up, the tentacles are no longer swollen, in fact skinny and sometimes grey in colour.

It started moving around, and closed up completely like a peach at times.

The colour of the anemone is still there. the last 2 days, there are white strings coming out of it.

It is still sticky, and i think it is still feeding. I just dunno why it is behaving like that. I tried to remove it, but it is stuck tight on the rock.

can someone shed any idea?

• SRC Member

Read from somewhere and from bro Terryz use a bag place some Icecubes inside then place it beside the anemone the anemone will release its grip :upsidedown:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• Senior Reefer

Hello bro, could you provide a picture? Will try to help you as best as i can.

From the sound of it, the anemone seems okay and in the pink of health. feeding, coloured up, stickiness are all good signs.

I'm just curious to know the white strings. A picture will help.

Btw to remove the anemone from a rock, use a long blunt instrument and prod at the edges of the foot, alifting it up gently and go around the circumference. the anemone should release it's grip. I like to use a long plastic spatula. I'm not sure where you can get this though, i got it from my school's lab. But any long and blunt instrument will work fine, like plastic tweezers.

• SRC Member

Hi all,

well, cut the long story short.

I bought an anemone about a month ago.

It was doing very well for almost a month. i twas open real big, and the tips were all swollen! NICE!

Anyway, recently, it stop opening up, the tentacles are no longer swollen, in fact skinny and sometimes grey in colour.

It started moving around, and closed up completely like a peach at times.

The colour of the anemone is still there. the last 2 days, there are white strings coming out of it.

It is still sticky, and i think it is still feeding. I just dunno why it is behaving like that. I tried to remove it, but it is stuck tight on the rock.

can someone shed any idea?

if it's moving around then means it's not happy (stressed), whether it would be your parameters / lighting / water flow. just be careful as it might sting other corals in doing so.

but then again you said it's still on a rock, and feeding then should be ok. you may try to relocate the rock it is attached on (my 2 cents, if possible try not to remove it from the rock, call it a "security blanket" if it's still attached to it. once you've damaged the foot (tear), it may lead to it's eventual death.

what are you feeding ? btw, how does the mouth look like ? is it swollen, or opened up ? at times they do close up like a peach with some tentacles still out, or even none. but they'd open up again in no time.

the white string, is it like mucus ?

for now, i'd recommend to just leave it (or like i said, move the rock). unless you see it dying (i hope not) like start to disintegrate, then you have to get it out of there. dying anemone = potential crash. good luck.

• Like 1

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

Hi, Bro

Me also facing same problem. Just yesterday night......

My anemone also suddenly closed up completely yesterday night till today i left for work.

It is usually bigger than 2 open hand. Now suddenly smaller by at least 4 times.

Anyway, to answer your quires,

I read from internet that one can use "credit card" like item to slowly slide it out.

I also read before that anemone sometime shrink to release their excess water out of their body.

but personnally, i dont know how small should it shrink to release their body water.

Anyway, for me now, i will leave it in the tank first.

Smell the tank occasionally cos i also read that the smell stink if it is dying.

Let's hope for the best

• Senior Reefer

A dying anemone is very obvious. as a rule of thumb, never dictate where the anemone should go. You can put it at your preferred location, but ultimately if it does not like it, it will move. and you should always let it move.

Anemones need time to adjust. I would suggest not touching it or touching the base rock it is on. Let it be and let it decide on what it wants to do.

As above, a dying anemone is very obvious. Big gaping mouth, foot not attached and spewing its guts out or starts disintegrating. When this occurs, turn off all your pumps and gently suck everything out with a hose. NEVER blow the bits around as it will just contaminate your water to the point where it may crash your tank.

However, if your tank is very big, very stable and have good filtration, a small dying anemone may pose no harm at all. it all boils down to husbandry and tank size.

that said, i will advice you to leave it alone now since it's not showing signs of death.

Anemones regularly expand and deflate to exchange fluid within their body. This is normal and should be no cause for alarm.

still the same... smallish and grey at some part...

it is not turning white, the string has stopped.

the grip on the rock is tight...

still sticky and i still dunno why it is not opening up....this morning, it was all wrapped up like a peach... same colour as a peach too....