Water to use

lcf425

• SRC Member

any advise? mine is only a small nano reef tank about 20 gallon. i just need one pail of water change every week. so thinking where to buy this jerry can for water replacement......

Killerwhale,

There's a couple of places, ones LCK... he'll deliver and pump the sea water into your tank, just remember it's water from the shore line in Singapore.

• SRC Member

any advise? mine is only a small nano reef tank about 20 gallon. i just need one pail of water change every week. so thinking where to buy this jerry can for water replacement......

Get a gellan can at bucks refill 2buck ^^

• SRC Member

Bro, too expensive to use diamond water . Give Gary a call for his system .

no la its cause house got so thought can just use lo haha...and i dun have gary number

Will get one TDS soon ... So by right after adding prime solution the ppm should be 0??

Hi bro,

If you intend to use Seachem Prime, I presume you will be using tap water and Seachem Prime as the water conditioner. As such, you do not need to get TDS meter.

When using tap water and water conditioner, your TDS will not be zero, this is because water conditioner do not removes the dissolved solids from tap water. The function of water conditioners is to precipitate / bind chemicals and make it safe for aquarium usage. Just like boiling water will make it safe from human consumption but may not removes chloramines that will affect our fishes.

You only need to use TDS is you are intending to use DI or RO/DI water, the TDS will let you know when the media is exhausted.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

If you intend to use Seachem Prime, I presume you will be using tap water and Seachem Prime as the water conditioner. As such, you do not need to get TDS meter.

When using tap water and water conditioner, your TDS will not be zero, this is because water conditioner do not removes the dissolved solids from tap water. The function of water conditioners is to precipitate / bind chemicals and make it safe for aquarium usage. Just like boiling water will make it safe from human consumption but may not removes chloramines that will affect our fishes.

You only need to use TDS is you are intending to use DI or RO/DI water, the TDS will let you know when the media is exhausted.

Thanks for the loads of information ... Erm so am I right to say I use tap water and and seachem prime is save and good enough for a reef tank ??pardon me as I just trying to understand the use of TDS and RO /DI water

• SRC Member

bro, adding water will not make your TDS reading zero. the only way is to run the water through water treatment filter like crystal pro or the system gary is selling. you can try PM him. cheers.

Yea hear from him not sure how much it cost but heard it's alot so trying to find other way out lo ^^

Thanks for the loads of information ... Erm so am I right to say I use tap water and and seachem prime is save and good enough for a reef tank ??pardon me as I just trying to understand the use of TDS and RO /DI water

Hi bro, yes, tap water with water conditioner is safe to be used in FLOWR and some mix reef tanks.

However, it may not be sufficient if you are trying to more sensitive corals such as sps which require pristine water conditions that is low nutrient in order to colour up.

Thus, it is wise to 1st decide what you intend to keep and from there decide what are the equipments you need and the cost of running them. Because it will be foolish to think that if you were to get RO/DI water to means that you will be able to keep sps or a tank without nuisance algae, there are many contributing factors to the maladies we get in our tanks.

;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

Hi bro, yes, tap water with water conditioner is safe to be used in FLOWR and some mix reef tanks.

However, it may not be sufficient if you are trying to more sensitive corals such as sps which require pristine water conditions that is low nutrient in order to colour up.

Thus, it is wise to 1st decide what you intend to keep and from there decide what are the equipments you need and the cost of running them. Because it will be foolish to think that if you were to get RO/DI water to means that you will be able to keep sps or a tank without nuisance algae, there are many contributing factors to the maladies we get in our tanks.

;)

woot cool^^ thanks alot alot!! ohhh guess i have to read up more then! because i do intend to sps end of the day thus wanting to know more first and the cost as i have to save to the amount first before getting stuff =(

secondly could you tell me in genernal what is the least require for keeping sps in terms of equipments?

last of all if you dun mind could i have your sms so i can bomb questions ^^?

• SRC Member

Hi Guys, I've been keeping my eyes on this topic, the cost of a ro/di unit is only about SGD80 more than a DI filter alone.

just wondering whats the different between diamond water and ro/di water? i know that tap water has copper and heavy metal but what about those 2?

• SRC Member

;)

btw bro i just recall if i were to use tap water and use seachem prime to remove chlorine how would i know if i add enough seachem prime is there a device or something like that to measure the chlorine level or ...?

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

If you need to measure the chlorine you'll have to go to a pool shops, they'll sell a chlorine test kit...

The main difference between a diamond system and a ro/di system to the membrane... both remove chlorines and both have a sediment filer but the TDS reading from a diamond filter is the same as your tap water or sometime higher. when you bought your diamond filter they tested the water before the filter and than after the filter to show you that it takes out the chlorine... all carbon blocks remove chlorine, they'll never use a TDS meter and show you the results.

my numbers 92202295

btw bro i just recall if i were to use tap water and use seachem prime to remove chlorine how would i know if i add enough seachem prime is there a device or something like that to measure the chlorine level or ...?

imo, there is no need to go to that extend bro.

just drop the SC prime as per the recommended dosage and you should be good.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

imo, there is no need to go to that extend bro.

just drop the SC prime as per the recommended dosage and you should be good.

haha reading up how you build your tank... hahaha nice tank!! btw just wanna ask your led lights system can it do without a chiller?? or will it be too hot?

does anyone know if diamond water is better then tap water or they both the same??

diamond water is not suitable for aquarium usage.

I recall seeing it on the filter systems instruction booklet.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

haha reading up how you build your tank... hahaha nice tank!! btw just wanna ask your led lights system can it do without a chiller?? or will it be too hot?

thanks for the compliment bro!

haha.. you really have 1001 questions..... Gouldian, better dun pass him your mobile.... haha ........

just joking... whatever i can answer, i will lah....

my take is that if you want to keep corals, you need a chiller.

Can use fan, but evaporation will be high => salinity will fluctuate quite a lot especially if yours is a 2 footer and below.

LED lightset does produces heat, just that the heat is directed upwards instead of onto your water surface.

So the casing will be hot, the surrounding air will also be hot.

your pumps produces heat, your wavemakers produces heat.....

So overall ambience temp + pump heat can increase your water temp quite a bit.

woot cool^^ thanks alot alot!! ohhh guess i have to read up more then! because i do intend to sps end of the day thus wanting to know more first and the cost as i have to save to the amount first before getting stuff =(

secondly could you tell me in genernal what is the least require for keeping sps in terms of equipments?

last of all if you dun mind could i have your sms so i can bomb questions ^^?

Bro, there is no hard and fast rule on how much you need to spend in order to keep sps. There are reefers who manages with less than 2k but there are others who after spending more than 10k.

However, some basic you need to know about keep sps happy are:

1. A good skimmer (1-2k for a decent size skimmer)
  2. Good circulation (Recommended 40x your tank volume)
  3. High intensity lights (MH, LED, VHO)
  4. Supplements (Ca, Mg, Potasium, Inverts food, etc)
  5. Reactors (Calcium Reactors, Fluidized Reactors, Sulphur Reactors)
  6. Test Kits (No2, No3, Ca, Mg, Po4, etc)
  7. Chemical Filtration (Phophate removers, Grunulated Activated Carbon)
  8. Stable Temperature no exceeding 29 degree (Large chiller)
  9. Wave Makers (Tunze, Hydor)
  10. Controllers (Controller wave makers, water top up etc)
  11. Good Salt-mix (With high Ca, Mg etc but low in Po4 and No3)
  12. Clean water source for top up and mixing (DI, RO/DI, Distilled)

HTH ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

haha.. you really have 1001 questions..... Gouldian, better dun pass him your mobile.... haha ........

Aiyah, give liao.... :heh:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

just joking... whatever i can answer, i will lah....

my take is that if you want to keep corals, you need a chiller.

Can use fan, but evaporation will be high => salinity will fluctuate quite a lot especially if yours is a 2 footer and below.

LED lightset does produces heat, just that the heat is directed upwards instead of onto your water surface.

So the casing will be hot, the surrounding air will also be hot.

your pumps produces heat, your wavemakers produces heat.....

So overall ambience temp + pump heat can increase your water temp quite a bit.

yea trying to upgrade myself ma...so evil =(

cause my tank is in an office whereby the aircon is blowing it and something the water reaches 22C =.=

how much is the LED lightset saving that first cause its really really beautful!!

btw bro you dun have a calcium reactor?? not a must de ar??

And how much did you get the wavemarker ar i just went to aquamarine cost a bomb =.=