new to marine

hi guys, i'm an existing freshwater fish keeper but recently have been convert to the dark side of marine. i have some spare tanks which i'm not using and i'm thinking if i can use it to convert to a 2ft FOWLR tank. my main concern is that it's a 2ft X 1.5ft X 1.5ft and it is only 6mm thickness. wonder would this thickness be sufficient. would be doing quite abit of homework before i actually commit to this project.

• SRC Member

hi guys, i'm an existing freshwater fish keeper but recently have been convert to the dark side of marine. i have some spare tanks which i'm not using and i'm thinking if i can use it to convert to a 2ft FOWLR tank. my main concern is that it's a 2ft X 1.5ft X 1.5ft and it is only 6mm thickness. wonder would this thickness be sufficient. would be doing quite abit of homework before i actually commit to this project.

I ran one of those tank for about 6 months before upgrading to a 3 footer.

Seems to be OK, but YEMV.

Your concern should be on water parameters as its swings extremely fast, especially if you are using fan.

My 2cts.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

I ran one of those tank for about 6 months before upgrading to a 3 footer.

Seems to be OK, but YEMV.

Your concern should be on water parameters as its swings extremely fast, especially if you are using fan.

My 2cts.

hi goondoo, are u also from aquatic quotient? wad does YEMV stands for? so it's ok to go ahead with 6mm thickness tank?

• SRC Member

hi goondoo, are u also from aquatic quotient? wad does YEMV stands for? so it's ok to go ahead with 6mm thickness tank?

Yea, I am in AQ too.

YEMV="Your experience may varies".

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

oh ok, if that's the case, i would have to wait til more experience bro comes in before i can confirm.

I doubt anyone will give you assurance you are safe, even new tank can spell sh*t.

As you are using an old tank, you may have to take the quality and age of the tank into considerations.

On top of that, silicon on tanks are known to deteriorate if it is used and kept "dry" for sometime.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

Fyi, 6mm thickness for your case is sufficient... actually 5mm is enough... U can uses below weblink for useful Glass thickness calculator...

Glass thickness calculator:

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

Your tank result....

post-9248-12758373166669_thumb.jpg

Cheers and Happy Reefing....

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Yes, It is safe... I am using that previously... But it is having side bracing right?

But how have the tank been left dry? Give it a leak test...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

bro, if you have not been using the spare tanks for some time and they have been kept dry, you might want to do check if the silicon has hardened.

if they have, then there is a high chance that it might leak.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Fyi, 6mm thickness for your case is sufficient... actually 5mm is enough... U can uses below weblink for useful Glass thickness calculator...

Glass thickness calculator:

http://www.theaquato...g-your-aquarium

Your tank result....

post-9248-12758373166669_thumb.jpg

Cheers and Happy Reefing....

Just wondering, I suspect they are using fresh water for the calculation. And the safety factor recommended is already 3.8 as per the website.

Should we increase the safety factor for marine since salt water have higher density?

Regards,

Billy Cheong

Just wondering, I suspect they are using fresh water for the calculation. And the safety factor recommended is already 3.8 as per the website.

Should we increase the safety factor for marine since salt water have higher density?

Hi, dun worry.. quite a number of my friend keeping same spec as u... safety factor 2.5 spell close minimum requirement (actually minimum safe SF value = 2, SF >3.8 is very safe) ... doesn't matter fresh water or marine...

I think leak test is more important as Jacky mention.... But in general it is quite safe... we being passing tank from colleague to others, after idling quite long.....So far... touch wood not incident yet..... But it is important to ensure everything safely in place before begin this hobby...

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Hi, dun worry.. quite a number of my friend keeping same spec as u... safety factor 2.5 spell close minimum requirement (actually minimum safe SF value = 2, SF >3.8 is very safe) ... doesn't matter fresh water or marine...

I think leak test is more important as Jacky mention.... But in general it is quite safe... we being passing tank from colleague to others, after idling quite long.....So far... touch wood not incident yet..... But it is important to ensure everything safely in place before begin this hobby...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

I agree, I also feel that silicon is usually the failing point in tanks unused for sometime.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

hi guys, thanks for the respond. my tank are actually always filled with water as keeping my feeder fish for arowana inside. appreciate ur help in answering my enquires. think it's time i go ahead with the project.

• SRC Member

6mm no problem. Unless height is an issue then will consider thicker glass...

Thou sea water r has more density than fresh water but still not to the extend that the glass will give way for that height...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

hi bro, thanks for the reminder but yea, as of now, i would remain at 1.5ft height. due to height issue, i'm seriously considering if i should make it sump or IOS cos got small kids at home who would curiously open all the cupboard. scare they play with the sump water.

hi bro, thanks for the reminder but yea, as of now, i would remain at 1.5ft height. due to height issue, i'm seriously considering if i should make it sump or IOS cos got small kids at home who would curiously open all the cupboard. scare they play with the sump water.

sump will offer more stability to your water parameters. yeah place a simple lock there :)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!