Green Algae

Hi,

My tank has been up for 2 months or so, do see some coralline algae growth but it only happens in patches.

Green filamentous algae is quite abundant though.

Doin weekly WCs and tank is scrubbed every other day to counter green algae.

My tank does not operate on a sump and was wondering what more can I do besides considering a algae scrubber. Phos guard is also in place but have been there for about one month or so already.

Water parameters are as follows

Nitrate:~20ppm

Phospate:~0.1ppm

Calcium:400

kH:8

Need some advise =)

• SRC Member

Do a 50% WC to bring down your nitrates to 10ppm and another 50% the following week to bring it <5ppm. Can try Henry's goodbye po4 especially since he's having a sale now, heard many good reviews about it. Otherwise rowaphos is another trusted po4 remover.

It's prob new tank syndrome. Can last up to 6 months into your tank setup, so I wouldn't worry about the algae, let it run it's course. You can get some clean up crew to help you with controlling algae.

Coralline will also take some time to go. It will not be able to grow if it is outgrown by other forms of algae, so don't worry about tt as well.

If you don't have a sump how are you going to install the scrubber?

I'm actually having the same problem, but do not have a test kit to measure nitrate and phosp which is the main reason for algae bloom. But I've already used henry's goodbye PO4 and anti phosp media. And I've been changing 20% of my water weekly. Could tap-water be the main reason for the algae problem?

Sorry for using your post :P

• SRC Member

Yes tap water (silicates) could prob be the main culprit in this case, but it is best to buy some test kits to measure your no3 and po4. It is not wise to be dosing stuff when you don't actually know the amount you need to be dosing.

I suggest dont buy DI unit first, very ex. There this 4 in 1 test kit at petmart. NItrate Phosphate Calcium and kH. Only 50+ nia.

Maybe you wanna test your water first before jumping in. Seachem also got Phosguard which also removes silicate.

• SRC Member

Possible to intro some creature in to clear the algae?

Which r the efficient wan pls recommend?

Thanks!

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Hi,

My tank has been up for 2 months or so, do see some coralline algae growth but it only happens in patches.

Green filamentous algae is quite abundant though.

Doin weekly WCs and tank is scrubbed every other day to counter green algae.

My tank does not operate on a sump and was wondering what more can I do besides considering a algae scrubber. Phos guard is also in place but have been there for about one month or so already.

Bro, I encountered the same initially when I just started the tank for about 3 - 4 months.

Morning clean, afternoon the algae will be visible from the side.

Think it is due to a new setup and just got to be diligient in wiping them off.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

I'm getting a 2nd crystal pro DI unit from fellow reefer here at $70. I'm thinking getting a DI unit is better off than getting test kits?

Bro, if you are getting the crystal pro DI unit, you might want to source for refillable cartridges and resins.

Save quite a lot of $ over the long run.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• 1 month later...

Hi, i have turbo snail which it's doing well in clearing up the algae, except there's one type of green algae stuck on my tank, which the turbo snail trying to clear which it's can't, it's also diificult using my sponge to wipe off, i heard ppl saying using credit card it's very useful, Am i right

Hi, i have turbo snail which it's doing well in clearing up the algae, except there's one type of green algae stuck on my tank, which the turbo snail trying to clear which it's can't, it's also diificult using my sponge to wipe off, i heard ppl saying using credit card it's very useful, Am i right

If its on the glass wall, yah, you can use credit card to scrape it off. Make sure its expired though. :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

This green like aglae thing started to become more n more on my LR. even underneath of some LR can be seen with it. Wat happen? Can remove?

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!