AT's light after retrofit

Limpc

• SRC Member

Gotten AT's PL light and have successfully modified to hang above my tank.

Reduce the overall length to 55inches, change all the lights holder. Effort well spent and unforgetable cuts on my hands from the sharp edges of the reflector.

Anyway, lots of experience gained. So if anyone got PL DIY questions, please ask me.

Next project will be to DIY a wooden light hood and transfer the current circuitry over. This will gives me more room to space out the 9 PLs currently under the reflector.

Limpc

• SRC Member

Hi,

Will try to do so.

One question, The PL Coralife Actinic is not as "strong" as compared to my previous FL Acadia Actinic (30W). What I meant by "strong" is that the greenish glow of green stripe mushroom under Coralife is not as attractive as Acadia FL. Is this normal or the Coralife is near expiry ?

Limpc

• SRC Member

u drilled holes into a wooden pole and suspend the lights from there? supported by only the ends of the pole on the cabinet?? if that is the case, better secure the pole leh.. dun want to risk having the pole shifting and the lights dropping into the tank!! *touch wood* :o

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Hi Kelstorm,

From the picture, it looks like a pole but it is actually a solid wooden plank of about 8" width and slightly less thank 1" thick. It is also double as a display shelf now. There was not this plank initially in my original furniture design.

If it is really a pole, I guess soon my yellow tang will be doing pole dancing in the tank.

:lol:

I'll try to show more pictures to kill everyone's curiosity.

Limpc

• SRC Member

Hi Sinn,

You got me there. Have not explore into this option, because a single output eBallast is half the price of double output. In terms of cost saving, there is no advantage.

A sure work case would be to install a switch with 4 pairs of contacts.

In my opinion, I would not choose this option because even if one PL is switched on only, the power consumption by the eballast remains the same for double output.

Why would you want to do this ?

Limpc

• SRC Member

because Nature was selling 1 X 35W ballast at $15 and the 2 X 36W ballast at $20...

theres a difference of $10

furthermore, wouldnt 2 ballast emit more heat?

so u are saying it is possible aye?

if can perhaps after i get my stuff i meet u?

:lol:

• SRC Member

Hi Sinn,

Let me check out internal circuitry of the eBallast first. Will try to browse the web for more info. Apparently, there is no info in Elbiru website (probably trade secret).

Thought the single output eballast costs $10. My memory must be failing.

Limpc

• SRC Member

here's few more shots on this DIY. Added an acrylic sheet for protection against water splashes. Made a mistake by using too thin acrylic. It warps when the lights are on, thus, I use tapes to secure to the reflector.

Limpc

post-9-1041826014.jpg