What to buy fm US online store

stevenkoh08

• SRC Member

Bro you are talking about reefing equipment right? There's a few things to take into consideration.

Is it available in Singapore?

If it is, is it a lot cheaper from US? If the savings you get is only a small percentage, then I think you will have better peace of mind and don't have to wait so long if you purchase from sg, especially if it is a big ticket item cos of warranty.

Is it heavy or bulky?

This will influence shipping weight. Most of the time it makes it not worth the while. For non-reefing related stuff, I usually ask local retailers to bring in if it is heavy, most of the time it will match the US retail price, without the expensive shipping.

Do they ship direct to Singapore?

Some retailers don't ship overseas, or overcharge their shipping and handling. You can use vPost as a mail forwarding address in this case.

Does your total cost go over S$400 (inclusive of shipping?)

Singpost will take the value declared on the customs form and charge you 7% GST before they release the goods to you if it is above $400, sometimes this, together with shipping will make it not worth your while.

I haven't bought anything from reefing online stores before but I am eying some stuff from Marine Depot and Bulk Reef Supply at the moment.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

Ah I see. In that case you can buy stuff where they have a wider variety of in the US. I usually fill up my orders with amazon stuff when I got extra space cos of free shipping within US over $20. Stuff like iPhone sticker, charger etc I can never get enough of haha. As for reefing supplies I don't know liao. I'm looking to get those loose accessories like fragging tools and supplies cos these are things I dont have time to make a special trip to buy locally.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey