Chaeto vs Algae Scrubber

enseng

Hi all,

Which is better between Chaeto and Algae Scrubber for removing Nitrate and Phosphate? thinking to get either one to reduce and control my Nitrate?

Any guide to grow Chaeto in sump? require a refugium right?

Hi all,

Which is better between Chaeto and Algae Scrubber for removing Nitrate and Phosphate? thinking to get either one to reduce and control my Nitrate?

Any guide to grow Chaeto in sump? require a refugium right?

Algae scrubber need regular weekly maintenance, powerful pump & lighting to match also space for installation but i think more quicker absorbing both PO4 & NO3 whereas growing chaeto more simpler, cheaper, less space but slower absorbtion unless got plenty chaeto to filter large volume of aquarium water. I suggest use DSB with zero grade coral sand minimum 4 inches depth very effective in removing NO3 & growing Chaeto for absorbing PO4 then u have best of both world by combining both DSB & growing chaeto at same time.

• SRC Member

If you have a space in your sump to grow chaeto, do it. All it need to grow are high nutrient and a 6500k-ish light source. Don't let it grow too thick or the chaeto would grow slow. Once it increase in volume, cut half away to throw or give to other reefer who wants it.

i've try DSB before in the sump onething to take note if having strong flow it'll mess up the sump

secondly u've to wash the sand bed in 6mths or else once over time u'll have problem of slime algea (if having heavy bio load)

as for cheato is good but it absorb CA alot to glow also do take care of netting it in control, or else it'll start glowing in ur main tank

ya algea scrubber i agree with what u said also abit troblesome for all the work and space but there always only one side good for all things

i've try DSB before in the sump onething to take note if having strong flow it'll mess up the sump

secondly u've to wash the sand bed in 6mths or else once over time u'll have problem of slime algea (if having heavy bio load)

as for cheato is good but it absorb CA alot to glow also do take care of netting it in control, or else it'll start glowing in ur main tank

ya algea scrubber i agree with what u said also abit troblesome for all the work and space but there always only one side good for all things

I put all my DSB in my 3 tanks (2 four footer each 200 ltrs & 1 six footer 1,000 ltrs in the main tank with good circulation & not in the sump. No NO3 anymore as rid off by anaerobic bacteria but PO4 remains which causes brown algae growing on side glass also happily eaten by a hard working algae blenny in each tank. So now i also started growing Chaeto to absorb the PO4. Only power consumption required by chaeto is reasonable lighting control by a timer & nutrients. DSB is natural no pumps & lighting to work with so convenient to install just dump correct amount of zero grade coral sand in the main tank with good circulation. My 6 footer DSB is 6 inches depth & other two 4 footer is 4 inches depth.

I put all my DSB in my 3 tanks (2 four footer each 200 ltrs & 1 six footer 1,000 ltrs in the main tank with good circulation & not in the sump. No NO3 anymore as rid off by anaerobic bacteria but PO4 remains which causes brown algae growing on side glass also happily eaten by a hard working algae blenny in each tank. So now i also started growing Chaeto to absorb the PO4. Only power consumption required by chaeto is reasonable lighting control by a timer & nutrients. DSB is natural no pumps & lighting to work with so convenient to install just dump correct amount of zero grade coral sand in the main tank with good circulation. My 6 footer DSB is 6 inches depth & other two 4 footer is 4 inches depth.

Hi angel fish,

Do you mind taking a photo on the setup of your Chaeto system? Do you grow it at the refugium?