Biopellet

enseng

Hi all,

Will Biopellet make the water become very cloudly? I have shifted my Biopellet from 1st compartment of the sump to the Skimz FM100 fluid reactor, input pump at 550L/H max and dose bacteria yesterday.

12 hours later, the water still clear but it become very cloudly this morning. Is it because the flow rate of the pump is too high or bacteria activation which cause the water to become cloudly?

Need advice pls... :ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

Due to bacteria activation. It is best to place the bio pellet before the skimmer so that the skimmer would catch the majority of the effluent. As far as I know, the cloudiness will disappear but that depend on how your skimmer performance is. If it's a sub-par skimmer, you're in trouble as it is a well known fact that you need to have a good or an over-sized skimmer to use the bio pellet. The cloudiness should disappear in a few days.

So it is good to observe the cloudiness after dosing bacteria as it is activated?

The cloudy water is waste water? my water is getting clear but still abit cloudy...my skimmer is the cheapo type...can it be compensate using algae scrubber?

• SRC Member

As far as I understand from reading at RC, the cloudiness is caused by increased bacteria population. The cloudy water is not waste water, it is water with a very high amount of bacteria, which is consuming the Nitrate and Phosphate in the water column. You can't compensate with algae scrubber as the algae do not consume the bacteria but the nitrate and phosphate. Keep using the skimmer and do not turn it off or your tank will experience low oxygenation level and this will affect your current live stock. If the coral and fishes look normal and are not distress, leave your set up alone, the cloudiness should disappear.

Hope this helps! :)