miracle mud

• SRC Member

I have been using miracle mud for about two years. I think u still need a powerful skimmer to export nutrients as well as phosphates and nitrates.

Miracle mud is mainly used in a refugium in order to grow macroalgae such as chaeto and/or mangroves which will help to reduce nitrate and phosphate in the main tank. But thru my experience u need to have a huge refugium full of chaeto and/or mangroves in order to go without a skimmer.

It also depend on your feeding habit as well as livestocks.

Maybe as a guide u need to have a four feet refugium for a 3 feet display tank. For my case I have a H&S skimmer as well as an FR

running NP Bio Pellet 24/7. My display tank is 4/2/2 and my refugium also 4 ft but I still struggle to keep my nitrate and phosphate

under control. My chaeto is full and completely covering my whole refugium but I still need to do regular weekly water change.

Hope this share some light to you.

Happy reefing!

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I have been using miracle mud for about two years. I think u still need a powerful skimmer to export nutrients as well as phosphates and nitrates.

Miracle mud is mainly used in a refugium in order to grow macroalgae such as chaeto and/or mangroves which will help to reduce nitrate and phosphate in the main tank. But thru my experience u need to have a huge refugium full of chaeto and/or mangroves in order to go without a skimmer.

It also depend on your feeding habit as well as livestocks.

Maybe as a guide u need to have a four feet refugium for a 3 feet display tank. For my case I have a H&S skimmer as well as an FR

running NP Bio Pellet 24/7. My display tank is 4/2/2 and my refugium also 4 ft but I still struggle to keep my nitrate and phosphate

under control. My chaeto is full and completely covering my whole refugium but I still need to do regular weekly water change.

Hope this share some light to you.

Happy reefing!

thanks it seems that the ecosys is bragging

the advert is so promising then might as well go on skimmer alone

• SRC Member

I'm not too sure the product is bragging. Maybe its a good product to have if u thinking of having a refugium full of chaetos or any other plants. From my experience my Ph and Kh are very stable as in they

don't drop drastically at night and hence its less stressful for my livestocks. And according to reef depot this product is a good source of minerals and trace elements. For my case I sometimes can scoop up lots of copepods from the refugium to feed my corals and fishes.

Hope others out there can give their own experience on this product. Don't just jump to conclusion based

only on my review.

Happy Reefing.

thanks it seems that the ecosys is bragging

the advert is so promising then might as well go on skimmer alone

I think if we have both Skimmer in sump and miracle mud/DSB with plants in refugiums will even better....

Skimmer will remove huge amount of DOC. In general.. Live stock feces or dirt would handle by skimmer. And left over nutrients such as nitrates will take care by refugium... And it helps some level on reducing nuisance algae growth in our tank. Some refer this as "nutrient export" process...

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

i have used miracle mud for 2 years without skimmer but only small fishes (no tangs) and tank full of corals there are some advantages in miracle mud your corals are very stable esp LPS u can buy not so healthy lps corals for cheap and throw in to your tank they come back in full glory

cons of this system is your (1) sps is not so colorful

(2) Cant keep tangs or big fishes

(3) water is not crystal clear .

(4) It takes a while to mature refugium ( it took 3 -4 months for my tank)

(5) Its not that cheap ( At least for me :( )

pros (1) you can keep difficult to keep zoos

(2) you can keep goni's (i had 7 colonies of different color and they do grow)

(3) You can keep difficult to keep fishes which need live feeds( i had mating pair mandrai and copper band for 2 years ++ until upgrade to 5 feet).

(4) ORP readings are very high than skimmer only tanks (may be due to 24/7 lighting on refugium)

(5) No need to dose iodine and iron i tested those they stay high for the whole fist year.

(6) You can go a week trip to overseas and come back to see all your fishes and corals alive.

End of the day if u like zoos and lps corals and not in to sps & fishes then this is easiest way to keep and maintain lps tanks i dont recommend for sps keepers

And for some reasons when i managed to buy a good skimmer and start using it miracle mud is not that effective as before but sps and rbta loves it.

just sharing my experience

My old tankMY reef my world

20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. udaya

• 4 weeks later...

hi all,

just to share with fellow reefers, i came across a user in youtube that actually addresses detailed matters with regards to marine reefing. theres a a two part series on miracle mud too. i bet most reefers here already know about him?neways.... just to share:

http://www.youtube.com/user/newyorksteelo

happy watching!!!!! :groupwavereversed:

The Best Way Is To Keep It Simple.