Resun CL450 for 3x2x2 tank

enseng

Hi all,

Would like to ask if Resun CL450 chiller is good enough for a 3x2x2 tank? I have the below items:

1. 3ft T5, 4x39W

2. Main pump - 45W (supposed to generate some heat)

Initially, it is able to cool down to 26.5 deg C. However, I have just added my algae scrubber unit yesterday which consist of the followings:

1. 2ft T5, 2x24W - 2 sets (placed very near to the algae scrubber which induce some heat)

2. pump - 60W (supposed to generate some heat)

My chiller seems like not able to bring the temperature down. It stucks at 27.7 deg C. Note: chiller cut in at 27.5 deg C but tank tempeture still keep rising up to 27.7 deg C.

Is my chiller under power?

• SRC Member

Anybody can share his experience?

Hi bro....

CL450 may just on the edge for 3x2x2....

Not so sure...but my guess is that when you added the algae scrubber, more heat may generated and also the flow rate reduce.

You may want to try remove the algae scrubber and see whether it can cold back or not....

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

Hi Bro,

Thanks...maybe is time to upgrade the chiller...

I off the algae scrubber, it is able to cool down the temperature but takes quite some time to cool down ....

Might do a servicing and see how the chiller perform.....

thanks!

Thanks bro..Wat do u mean by external thermostat or temperature probe?saw a lot of ppl doing tat.wat does it help?

Im also not very sure if im right. To my understanding, the external temperature probe is place either directly in the sump tank water or the display tank itself and taking the temperature from there. Normally chiller take its temperature from the water passing through the chiller. so comparing these 2 methods, external temperature probe is much more accurate as the temperature taken is exactly the same as the display tank temperature. Hope that helps. bros correct me if im wrong. thanks!

• SRC Member

Im also not very sure if im right. To my understanding, the external temperature probe is place either directly in the sump tank water or the display tank itself and taking the temperature from there. Normally chiller take its temperature from the water passing through the chiller. so comparing these 2 methods, external temperature probe is much more accurate as the temperature taken is exactly the same as the display tank temperature. Hope that helps. bros correct me if im wrong. thanks!

That's right but placement of the external temperature probe should be in the sump.