Help needed - Changing of Hang-On filter

Hello reefers,

I'm in need of help. Just came back to Marine aquarium for abt 3months after a super long hiatus. Had start up a simple FOWLR nano tank using Jebo Hang-On filter with surface skimmer.

Only recently around 5-7days ago, I started to notice my Hang-On filter behaving funnily. The motor tends to stop suddenly and I hv to kinda knock or shake on the motor for it to start up again. Having check all connections, it looks secure n came to a conclusion that my Hang-On filter is spoilt. Now comes the problem: :cry2:

1) Is it ok to jus change to a new Hang-On filter and jus transfer the biohome n filter media(washed n cleaned) to the new filter??

2) Do I need to start cycling process again due to the new Hang-On filter??

3) Since I do not hv a spare tank, will it affect my LS (2x common clown, 1x six-lined wrasse, 1x cleaner shrimp n 1x turbo snail) during the change-over or cleaning of the new Hang-On filter in future??

Appreciate all constructive (or un-constructive) inputs and advices from anyone......afterall I'm here to re-learn everything :D

• SRC Member

1. yes you can change to a new filter. ONLY wash and clean using your old seawater. If you use tap water, will have to restart your cycling process.

2. If you follow above, no need to restart cycling.

3. No, it shouldn't as you should not have disturbed your bacteria colony. To be kiasu, just dose in some bacteria.

Hello reefers,

I'm in need of help. Just came back to Marine aquarium for abt 3months after a super long hiatus. Had start up a simple FOWLR nano tank using Jebo Hang-On filter with surface skimmer.

Only recently around 5-7days ago, I started to notice my Hang-On filter behaving funnily. The motor tends to stop suddenly and I hv to kinda knock or shake on the motor for it to start up again. Having check all connections, it looks secure n came to a conclusion that my Hang-On filter is spoilt. Now comes the problem: :cry2:

1) Is it ok to jus change to a new Hang-On filter and jus transfer the biohome n filter media(washed n cleaned) to the new filter??

Should be ok... my colleagues do it a few times... same scenario as you..

2) Do I need to start cycling process again due to the new Hang-On filter??

dun need... just makesure your livestock r healthy.. by theory.. healthy system bacteria replenish r fast too

3) Since I do not hv a spare tank, will it affect my LS (2x common clown, 1x six-lined wrasse, 1x cleaner shrimp n 1x turbo snail) during the change-over or cleaning of the new Hang-On filter in future??

Should be safe... try simplify & minimize your filter contain to avoid filter seize in future.. & also try add additional flow in your tank to avoid lack of flow during maintenance

Appreciate all constructive (or un-constructive) inputs and advices from anyone......afterall I'm here to re-learn everything :D

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

Welcome back :)

In addition, a little pump would come in handy if your filter motor finally quits on you in spite of your knocking & shaking.

Just throw it into your tank to keep the water circulating while your go find a filter replacement.

My office tank's hang-on filter motor failed me after 2 years. Had to rush over to C328 during lunch break. :wacko:

Lucky I have a spare pump.

Good luck.

Hey guys,

Thanx for the reply. Will do as wat u guys suggested :ThanxSmiley:

Yeah I do hv Seio wavemaker in my tank, so its ok to leave the tank filterless for a few minutes while i change to a new filter??

Sure.. no problem... just make sure continue flow supply in your tank... :)

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

So guys, another thing......

The same method applies when I do filter maintenance n cleaning in future, right?? Can i add in new biohomme or filter media (both rinsed with my old seawater) ??

Yes.. you can do that.. but I suggested only replace the filter wool.. other thing keep minimum contact unless water blockage ..

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore