Help with sump tank setup

• SRC Member

Hi All,

I've decided to start a new thread under a more appropriate title. Below is the original info.

OK, spend past few days planning & drawing out my new sump. Would like to post it for all to comment for further improvement in its design.

Design Constrains

- Maximum foot print allowed in tank cabinet to be 17"L x 19"W.

- Overflow & return piping located at inner right hand corner of cabinet.

- 5gal holding capacity to cater to main tank back flow during power outage.

In addition, I'd like to attempt DSB refugium for this BB FOWLR tank. There will be cheato growing over the sand bed to help with nutrients export.

Flow schematics

This will allow me to achieve slower flow rate for the refugium.

5106378539_b2a739db0b.jpg

Below is the Top down view

5106324843_308a8e8cfc.jpg

Below is the side view

5106325029_9c03149c5f.jpg

Below is the 3D view (plumbing in red)

5106325377_710c0d47ed.jpg

Welcome all comments & suggestions.

• SRC Member

If can,try not to drill holes on sump glass to fit piping on extenal to channel water from point to point.

1: take up more foot print.

2: wat if piping leaks...

3: more job to do.

4: more cost incurred.

5: accidently knocks on the piping will cause glass to crack.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Lol... Just a little advice.

Even if u plan to use the pump dry,meaning not in water.It's best that u part 1 compartment in the sump tank itself just for the pump.

Anything out of sump be it pump or pipes,chances due to leakage very high.

Once leak that's it. But if anything happen in sump,it's still in sump:)

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Wats that hole with a arrow pointed return pump???

Is that a hole drilled on glass???

• SRC Member

:D I know you hate me drilling glass on my sump, but I'm pretty much intend to have my return pump run out-sump. (Can't afford to heat up my water even though it's a FOWLR.)

The connection will be like:

Tank connector in sump -> elbow joint -> ball valve -> rubber hose -> return pump -> rubber hose -> on-way-valve -> PVC pipe -> Tank connector to overflow in main tank

• SRC Member

:D I know you hate me drilling glass on my sump, but I'm pretty much intend to have my return pump run out-sump. (Can't afford to heat up my water even though it's a FOWLR.)

The connection will be like:

Tank connector in sump -> elbow joint -> ball valve -> rubber hose -> return pump -> rubber hose -> on-way-valve -> PVC pipe -> Tank connector to overflow in main tank

it doesn't really need to be out of sump to prevent water heating.

Like I said,do a compartment in sump to put your return pump.

That particular compartment will be dry n wun be contacting any water...

Hope u get wat I mean? :)

• SRC Member

No doubt it's safer to prevent flood. However, it would be quite restrictive to reach down into that compartment during pump maintenance.

Plus, it'll take away another chunk off my limited sump space.

BTW bro, do you have any pics of sump having this dry-pump-compartment you suggested?

It may be inspirational to see how others do it.

• SRC Member

No doubt it's safer to prevent flood. However, it would be quite restrictive to reach down into that compartment during pump maintenance.

Plus, it'll take away another chunk off my limited sump space.

BTW bro, do you have any pics of sump having this dry-pump-compartment you suggested?

It may be inspirational to see how others do it.

I can get it draw out if wan but how u wan me to show u? Meet up?

Or fax to u? When u getting your sump?

• SRC Member

Hey bro, don't worry about the pics.

I hope to visit Kelantan lane this Saturday if possible. Have you been there already?

Saturday wat time,place etc as well let me know:)

hi,

I am very new to this, thus am not really qualified to give comments.

But I am also doing a custom sump, one of my concerns were to ensure that the flow from the refugium does not need to pass the skimmer to reach the return pump.

From your first drawing, it seems that water flowing out of the refugium will hit the skimmer then to the return. I cant really see the flow in the Plan B, so was wondering if the flow is the same.

Most reefers keep a refugium also as a place to allow pods to grow and multiply in a predator free environment so that they can move to the main tank eventually as live feed for fishes, however having to pass by a skimmer will probably wipe out quite a bit of those pods.

Sorry if my analysis is wrong.

Cheers for your dedication in making an awesome sump!

• SRC Member

Hi puppet,

Thanks for the comment.

What you said actually make very good sense especially if you're cultivating pods.

I arrived at the refugium-skimmer order from what some senior reefer's advise in my below posting:

What do you think might be the justification for refugium-before-skimmer design?

• SRC Member

To switch between refugium & skimmer compartment, below is plan C.

One little advantage I can see in this design is that the refugium being located at the front of the sump will allow me to observe the chaeto growth or any LS I place in this compartment.

Question:

Can anyone advise where I can buy overflow comb? I need some for my overflow box in main display tank, as well as some on the refugium baffle.

5120267006_49815b7d1a_b.jpg

• SRC Member

One question just popped into my mind.

The 1st sump compartment after main tank's overflow is typically a pre-filter box containing filter wool & tray.

So why do I need a pre-filter compartment if I intend to use filter sock?

Can't I just hang the filter sock in the skimmer compartment?

:huh:

Thanks for sharing Clee.

Is the water flow rate in your frag & refugium ok? Not too fast?

I'm asking cause some folks advocate a more controlled slower water flow in these sections.

So far, the flow rate from the skimmer/Fr section to the refugium/frag are ok... it's also depend on mainly on the flow rate of the return pumps you are using... for me, it's a 7500L/H flow.. :thumbsup:

fts-022012.JPG