Can keep anemone in 2 ft tank?

fnscasey

• SRC Member

Hi,

I am in the mist of cycling my tank. I would like to check with you bros here if it is alright to keep anemone in 2 ft tank? if its ok, what are the neccessary thing that i have to watch out for?

Do i have to buy a protein skimmer for keeping Anemone? What are some of the food i can feed it ? As for lighting, since i just have a 2ft by 1.5 by 1 ft tank ( those normal nisso, five plan 2 ft tank)

Do i still need to buy powerful lighting like 2*55Watt since the depth of my tank is not deep?

Can I make do with other normal lighting for marine setup?

Also, how frequently must i on the light every day? will switching the lights on from 7-11pm(4hrs) every night be enough for anemone? since i am uncomfortable with leaving the lights on during daytime when no one is at home.

As for arrangement of LRs in the tank, do i need to rearrange so that there will be no caves, in case my anemone get stuck in it and is deprived of light?

Between, are there hardy anemone around? What are some of the recommended species to keep if i just want it to play host for common clown? saw them in various sizes. Better to keep those smaller in size or those bigger in size?

Lastly, any particular website whereby i can read more on rearing anemone in small tank?

Sorry for my long thread. Cos i really hope to clear my doubts once and for all in the art of keeping anemone in small tank.

Thanks!!

1st I no expert, only bought 1 Anemone cos its my wife's idea to try. But to my surprise it have survive for few months now things seem to be fine.

I was like expecting disater, maybe have to scold wife.

Now see the clown fish everynight is like go on bed cover itself in blanket is so cute.

Me just normal 2 feet 5 PLan tank used for Lou Han, also just with OHF & UGF (this was recommended by the shop when we started).

1st I no expert, only bought 1 Anemone cos its my wife's idea to try. But to my surprise it have survive for few months now things seem to be fine.

Now see the clown fish everynight is like go on bed cover itself in blanket is so cute.

Me just normal 2 feet 5 PLan tank used for Lou Han, also just with OHF & UGF (this was recommended by the shop when we started).

Few months is nothing compared to their natural lifespan. They can easily outlive a human.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Geez, wrong advice from LFS... wonder which LFS it is?

• SRC Member

Anemones need good light get 2 55w of PL lighting on tt or get 1 55w and supplement with actinic. Chop shrimp or fish will do. Just leave them on the tentacles of the anemone and it will bring it to it's mouth. However you must feed it marine fish and prawns as freshwater ones don't contain the essential amino acids that they need(only found in marine creatures). AS long as you find a good spot for the anemone to attach, It will not move around. Do not however buy Ritteri anemones. They are not known to do well in captivity and move about often, stinging other corals. A good position for an anemone is one with constant but moderate to light current, Abundant light, and visually pleasing location. Try not to put two anemones too closely together. I suggest you scout LFS for anemones that are already hosting clowns and do some research on the species of anemone then buy one. DON"T IMPULSE BUY!

Bubble Tip Anemones are hardy, don't have a nasty sting, looks good but usually doesn't host any clowns.

Carpet anemones: REadily hsts clowns, nasty sting. BIG

Live and Let Live