Oceania's Voyage

oceania

Hi Bro/Sis,

Guess my tank would be one of the newest and probably last additions in 2010. Like wht some said, think I’ve finally crossed over to the dark side! :cheers: It was hesitant as my dad had a marine tank when I was a kid. Yes, it was certainly an attraction! Only problem, the LS kept dying. :rip: Eventually he gave it up. This pretty much kept me frm starting 1 of my own till I chanced upon SRC which brought me to the path of no return! ;)

After reading tons of threads, I was still hesitant. After all reefing is not something u can start today and give up tmr. Everyone was pretty much supportive and excited! So...backside itchy! :P Decided to check out the Pasir Ris fish farms and the rest is history! For those trying to dissuade yrself frm starting reefing, LFS and fish farms would be the last place u want to be in! Once u’ve seen the beauty of the display tanks, and worse, end up chatting to a fellow reefer, there is a pretty slim chance u’ll say no.

28th Nov: Went to Iwarna to confirm the order for my tank!

Tank:

- Display: 3 x 2 x2 FT (10mm)

- Coral sand and LR

- Filter medium: Cotton, Coral chip and Active Carbon

- Sump: 2.5FT Refugium sump with Mineral mud, Cheatos, Fern and Grape Caulerpa. Using LED for the refugium

19th Dec: Confirmation of equipment. With our PUB bills constantly on the rise, my goal was to acquire energy efficient equipment with optimal performance!

Equipment:

- Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB 200 (Air Intake: 600L/hr, Pump: 3000L/hr, Power consumption: 65W)

- Return Pump: Reef Octopus Water Blaster 3000 (Flow rate: 2850 L/hr, Power consumption: 37W)

- Light: DE light set, 4 ATI T5 tubes (2 white, 2 blue, Power consumption: 160W)

- Chiller: Haliea 300A (240W)

- Wave maker: Vortex MP10 (18W)

24th Dec: The big day! As if it was a Christmas present to myself, my tank arrived was delivery and setup on Christmas Eve :yahoo:

Empty tank

post-18585-0-47650000-1293786471_thumb.j

Empty Sump

post-18585-0-06633400-1293786521_thumb.j

Sump with Equipments

post-18585-0-22835100-1293786530_thumb.j

In the midst of being scapped!

post-18585-0-14660500-1293786739_thumb.j

Scapping completed! In goes the NSW! Almost there....

post-18585-0-70326200-1293786820_thumb.j

post-18585-0-96336300-1293786944_thumb.j

Water was damn cloudy!

post-18585-0-87770200-1293786992_thumb.j

6hrs later....water finally clearing up! Can finally see the effect of the rock scape!

Under blue light

post-18585-0-03931800-1293787132_thumb.j

Under white light

post-18585-0-57781900-1293787152_thumb.j

post-18585-0-93684000-1293787159_thumb.j

Current status: Tank under cycle!

Guess now marks the real beginning of my reefing voyage. Currently I'm not using market prawn. Yest when I used some to trap nuisance crab yest and noticed the prawn turning pink just aft 2hrs. Is this normal?

The nice SRC bros/sis has really been a newbie's helpline! :groupwavereversed:Without a doubt this hobby is still a challenging one for newbie like myself. Hope u guys can give me some feedback/comments on how I can further improve the tank. :ThanxSmiley:

Cheers and Happy New Yr to All!

Oceania

• SRC Member

its really great that you read through before jumping into reefing! :score: i can see that you did your homework well :lol:

nice scaping :welldone: though there are a few areas which i see to be potential dead spots.

maybe you would like to get a stronger vortech or more wavemakers? an mp10 may be too weak for a 3x2x2 :pinch:

NICE SCAPING THER... JUS 1 THING THAT I CAN ADVISE U. DO NOT PUT THE EXTENTIONG PLUG IN THE SUMP AREA... U WILL REGRET ONCE A SHORT CIRCUIT HAPPEN WHEN UR NOT AT HUM...

Agree with you bro... but if he can have ventilation for it he won't have the problem for that

however he do need to hook it up above the sump area

Agree with you bro... but if he can have ventilation for it he won't have the problem for that

however he do need to hook it up above the sump area

Thanks Cool Guy and Steven for the advice. I was thinking of hooking uo the extension below the ventilation hole just above the sump, however I was afraid water splashes will short circuit the equip. Guess I'll relocate the extension outside the cabinet then!

Thank all for the compliment of the scapping! <ahttp://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/emoticons/default_blushing.gif' alt=':paiseh:'> ha ha as my scapping skills are still not there yet, left in the expert hands of Victor! Credit for the nice scapping shld go to Victor and I like it pretty much myself!

Yup I read that suitable wavemaker for my tank size is MP40 but have been advised to start of with MP10 and slowly upgrade when I start stocking on SPS. Will monitor and see how it goes. But I think I need to dentify the possible areas of dead spot first. But I'm not sure how. Can someone advice how to identify them? Thanks!

• SRC Member

:thumbsup: Nice TANKY...I would advise dat U go for MP40 instead as U can tune the wavemaker flow according to your tank vol. Why spend more to upgrade later when U have already planned to keep SPSes.

Thank all for the compliment of the scapping! <ahttp://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/emoticons/default_blushing.gif' alt=':paiseh:'> ha ha as my scapping skills are still not there yet, left in the expert hands of Victor! Credit for the nice scapping shld go to Victor and I like it pretty much myself!

Yup I read that suitable wavemaker for my tank size is MP40 but have been advised to start of with MP10 and slowly upgrade when I start stocking on SPS. Will monitor and see how it goes. But I think I need to dentify the possible areas of dead spot first. But I'm not sure how. Can someone advice how to identify them? Thanks!

:thumbsup: Nice TANKY...I would advise dat U go for MP40 instead as U can tune the wavemaker flow according to your tank vol. Why spend more to upgrade later when U have already planned to keep SPSes.

Hi bro! Thanks for the advice. My plan was to start off with softies n LPS. When the tank is fully matured then stock SPS. I actually alr have the MP10. Is it sufficient for softies n LPS for now? Will continue to be on the lookout for MP40 in the meantime.

• SRC Member

Since U already have the MP10, then U can use it for the time being as it should be enuff for ya softies/LPS stocklist.

Hi bro! Thanks for the advice. My plan was to start off with softies n LPS. When the tank is fully matured then stock SPS. I actually alr have the MP10. Is it sufficient for softies n LPS for now? Will continue to be on the lookout for MP40 in the meantime.