Question about DI and DI/RO unit

Hi, will like to invest in DI unit, currently using NTUC. Distill water need to buy 1 carton every week very tough n heavy.

A few question:

1) what is different in DI and DI / RO unit

2) 3 stage and 5 stage any different?

3) hear there is wastage in water, what is the ratio like? 1 pail of distill water make : half pail waste ?

How long to make 1 pail?

Need advise before investing get a option from easy reefing quite affordable

Thanks

Just few point from my exp:

DI unit that sell in market now it will pass through carbon then resin so almost all of con terminate element will be absorb by resin through deionization process. While RO/DI will passthrough RO unit to filter out most of con terminate compound through reject water then to DI unit to absorb remaining of element. Both can get pure water, I think depend on volume of water that require. If you need to filter a lot of water I would say RO/DI unit will better for long run.

Tank Spec :

Display tank : 48" x 24" x 18."'(H)

Sump tank : 25" x 23" x 18"(H)

Return pump : Reef Octopus 8000

Wave Maker : Vortech MP10Wes

Lighting : DIY LED (Cree led) 60 bulb

Chiller : helia 55hs

Skimmer : BM Curve 7

Controller : Reef Angel

Hi, will like to invest in DI unit, currently using NTUC. Distill water need to buy 1 carton every week very tough n heavy.

A few question:

1) what is different in DI and DI / RO unit

2) 3 stage and 5 stage any different?

3) hear there is wastage in water, what is the ratio like? 1 pail of distill water make : half pail waste ?

How long to make 1 pail?

Need advise before investing get a option from easy reefing quite affordable

Thanks

DI = deionization

RO/DI = reverse osmosis then deionize

Both create purified water...

Long run RO/DI is more worth it... becos the DI resin wun get used up as quicky with the RO membrane which rejects part of the water depending on the membrane.. You will have two output, one is brine water and one is purified water if I am not wrong.. you will use the purified water and discard the brine water, or you can use if for mapping floor and etc.. as for the ratio and how long it takes I am not sure, have not used it before...

As for the number of stages is the sediment filter and carbon filter you use..

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

The ratio so far is 2 brine water to 1 pure water for me. It depends on what TDS level your tap water supply provides.

I am using garyj's 5 stage system and I have produced about 500 litres of pure water so far requiring a change of first stage, a mere $4.

I use the brine water to wash car, mopping and washing clothes, the brine water is actually better than tap water, just that it is not good enough for aquarium.

5 stage - 1st stage filter big particles - 2nd stage Carbon filter - 3rd stage filter finer particles - 4th stage membrane(This is the most expensive, so the first 3 stage will save the membrane), 5th state DI resin(also quite expensive).

3 stage - 1st stage filter big particles - 2nd stage Carbon filter - 3rd stage DI resin(expensive).

The ratio so far is 2 brine water to 1 pure water for me. It depends on what TDS level your tap water supply provides.

I am using garyj's 5 stage system and I have produced about 500 litres of pure water so far requiring a change of first stage, a mere $4.

I use the brine water to wash car, mopping and washing clothes, the brine water is actually better than tap water, just that it is not good enough for aquarium.

5 stage - 1st stage filter big particles - 2nd stage Carbon filter - 3rd stage filter finer particles - 4th stage membrane(This is the most expensive, so the first 3 stage will save the membrane), 5th state DI resin(also quite expensive).

3 stage - 1st stage filter big particles - 2nd stage Carbon filter - 3rd stage DI resin(expensive).

Thanks for reply, how long to make one litre ? Or one pail?

Additional info on RO/DI... Pls find the PPT attachment below from Gary during MRE, attachment posted by Larry

Introduction to RO/DI systems

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=145245

Cheers...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Additional info on RO/DI... Pls find the PPT attachment below from Gary during MRE, attachment posted by Larry

Introduction to RO/DI systems

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=145245

Cheers...

Thanks that is a lot of information, but it say the resin is expensive, so for 20L of water produce we need to change , so what is the rough estimated price for the resin? Cause I need to evaluate to get distill or invest in RO/DI in long term

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advise, I have just install the DI unit, from easy reef from Gary, I really no regret, the TDS pen that come with it read 167 from my tap water, and the distill water it make is 0-1 .

:yahoo:

Mine is a 5 stage unit and the media I check from Gary is not that expensive.

diunit.jpg

Thanks for all the bros and sis suggestion. Happy New YEar!!

• 2 months later...