Queen Angel Sudden Death

Hi! A friend of mine recently bought me a juvi queen angel from HK. It was doing very well and eating for 2 days then all of a sudden this morning it was dead. All other fish in the same tank are doing ok. The queen angel was housed in a betta box to avoid getting stressed by other fish yet it still died for no apparent reason. The queen had no signs of ich or any disease and was very active for the 2 days. Anyone have experience?

• SRC Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. Bro lemon also brought back 2 butterfly fish from HK and up lorry too. PErhaps Bro lemon and Terryz can advise on why this is happening. Could be because of luck cos apparently the wrasse that lemon brought back from HK is doing well.

BTW, how did your friend ship the fish back from HK?

He checked it in his baggage and brought it home. hahah!

Actually now i know what happened to my fish. It had brooklynella and i lost all my fish in my fowlr yesterday. Every single one got infected and now my fowlr is empty. So sad. Not a good week for me. :( Brooklynella spreads so fast. Didnt even have time to react.

He checked it in his baggage and brought it home. hahah!

Actually now i know what happened to my fish. It had brooklynella and i lost all my fish in my fowlr yesterday. Every single one got infected and now my fowlr is empty. So sad. Not a good week for me. :( Brooklynella spreads so fast. Didnt even have time to react.

You sure the checked it in his baggage and brought it home works? The customs did not syopped him? How many fish did he brough home from HK?

Hi,

How "old" is your friend's aquarium and yours or are they quite new?

My fowlr is fairly new maybe like a few months old only. I set it up particularly to keep angels but so far i have no luck at all. 1 mistake wiped out the whole tank. Now im going to keep it fishless for about 6 weeks to make sure that the pest has fully completed its life cycle.

My fowlr is fairly new maybe like a few months old only. I set it up particularly to keep angels but so far i have no luck at all. 1 mistake wiped out the whole tank. Now im going to keep it fishless for about 6 weeks to make sure that the pest has fully completed its life cycle.

Through my own experience, I find it is important to have a mature tank and of course regular maintenance/water change etc, to ensure the survivability of certain type of fish. I personally feel some fish will not be able to adapt/survive in tanks that are too newly set up.

There are some bros here who keep many types of angel fish, perhaps you can see their previous postings. I believe a tank that is too "new" may not be suitable for angels. :)

• Like 1

The parasite might not have come from the queen. Could it be other new addition in your tank?

For relatively new tank, it is best to stock up your fishes slowly. Probably 1-2 weeks a fish in your tank.

Depending which type of angel you want to keep. I would advice that you get angel from Australia, Brazil, Hawaii, Caribbean or reliable reefer.

It is good that you are planning to rest the tank. All the best to your new beginning.

Through my own experience, I find it is important to have a mature tank and of course regular maintenance/water change etc, to ensure the survivability of certain type of fish. I personally feel some fish will not be able to adapt/survive in tanks that are too newly set up.

There are some bros here who keep many types of angel fish, perhaps you can see their previous postings. I believe a tank that is too "new" may not be suitable for angels. :)

Thanks. But i do maintain my tank as if it were a reef tank. Nonetheless, i wont put fish into the tank for the next 6 weeks and hopefully the tank will not be so "new" anymore. :)

The parasite might not have come from the queen. Could it be other new addition in your tank?

For relatively new tank, it is best to stock up your fishes slowly. Probably 1-2 weeks a fish in your tank.

Depending which type of angel you want to keep. I would advice that you get angel from Australia, Brazil, Hawaii, Caribbean or reliable reefer.

It is good that you are planning to rest the tank. All the best to your new beginning.

Nothing else was added into the tank aside from the queen angel. Other fishes there came from my other tank and have been with me for more than a year already and were actually there in the new tank for 1-2 weeks already before adding the angel. I really didnt think that the queen angel was sick as it was already eating and didn't show any signs of stress or parasites (or atleast i didnt notice any).

Lesson learned....QT all fish even if they look healthy. :)

Thanks. But i do maintain my tank as if it were a reef tank. Nonetheless, i wont put fish into the tank for the next 6 weeks and hopefully the tank will not be so "new" anymore. :)

Nothing else was added into the tank aside from the queen angel. Other fishes there came from my other tank and have been with me for more than a year already and were actually there in the new tank for 1-2 weeks already before adding the angel. I really didnt think that the queen angel was sick as it was already eating and didn't show any signs of stress or parasites (or atleast i didnt notice any).

Lesson learned....QT all fish even if they look healthy. :)

Hmmm. Did you transfer all the old fishes in one goal? What is the size of your old fishes? Any external sign of the died fishes? I am just curious could it be ammonia spike since your tank is quite new.

The last time I transferred my fishes, I did it in a progressively for 1 month plus. No heavy casualty for my old fishes even after I added new fishes.

Of course it is good to practice QT.

Hmmm. Did you transfer all the old fishes in one goal? What is the size of your old fishes? Any external sign of the died fishes? I am just curious could it be ammonia spike since your tank is quite new.

The last time I transferred my fishes, I did it in a progressively for 1 month plus. No heavy casualty for my old fishes even after I added new fishes.

Of course it is good to practice QT.

No ammonia in the tank. I used old rocks from my other tanks. Fishes that died showed signs of brooklynella. All had cloudy eyes, slimy skin, frayed fins, and white lesions.