problem with overflow box

Hi all, I'm in the midst of setting up my first marine tank.

i encountered a problem with my overflow box. i realised when the water flow into the overflow box, small air bubbles were created and trapped in the middle section.

everyday i will have to draw out the air via a tube. otherwise the water level in the tank will keep rising.

question: is it due to my return pump from the sump is too slow?

any innovative ideas to solve this problem?

this is how it looks like

http://www.skimz.sg/overflow_box/om2500.html

Thanks in advance!

Have you discussed this with the LFS where your purchased this overflow box from? You need to know if it's a product defect or setup issue.

my return pump is half of what they recommended :paiseh:

anyhow, the LFS also ask me to save money for a drilled tank, i was just stubborn

I actually have the same problem

That's why I'm looking for the Tom aquatics aqua lifter to suck out the air build up

I guess it's not a long time solution but it'll have to do for now

ic...so i'm not alone. any luck in finding this tom aquatics aqua lifter? will it draw air as well as water out of the overflow box?

Pet mart no longer bring them

I'm looking out for used ones

It'll draw water out as well if I'm not wrong

And due to this problem it's almost impossible to utilize wave makers

Anyone has a long term solution?

Anyway what's the power of your pump?

Pet mart no longer bring them

I'm looking out for used ones

It'll draw water out as well if I'm not wrong

And due to this problem it's almost impossible to utilize wave makers

Anyone has a long term solution?

Anyway what's the power of your pump?

1200 l/h

how about yours? are you using this skimz overflow box too? or other makes?

If your return pump spec is 1200L/hr max, with a typical height of 1.5m from pump to top of display tank, effectively you may be getting about 500L/hr.

my tank is just around 50 litres...so i suppose it should be adequate.

i found the exact problem on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yLqdQIo4Zw

i was fiddling around the box last evening...i tried to direct the return pipe downwards to reduce the movement on the water surface.

overnight the bubbles still build up...but at a slower rate

I actually have the same problem

That's why I'm looking for the Tom aquatics aqua lifter to suck out the air build up

I guess it's not a long time solution but it'll have to do for now

may be you can try connecting the tubing to a power head venturi to draw out the trap air

1200 l/h

how about yours? are you using this skimz overflow box too? or other makes?

I using same skimz model as u but with 3 off ehiem return pump each 1,200 lires per hour to overcome trapped air problem. Air will get trapped whilst passing via the U compartment inside the overflow box if the amount of water passing throught is not great enought to push out the air. I use 3 pumps and it works.

Another way is to have cut a piece of "japanese filter mat" and place it in the first portion. It will still allow water to run thru and prevents the sudden drop to cause air bubbles but coarse enough to prevent detritus buildup to stop the flow.

FOWLR Tank : 48"x24"x30"

Sump: 36"x18"x20"

Return Pump : Rio 32HF

Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNW-110

Lighting: 150W MH

I using same skimz model as u but with 3 off ehiem return pump each 1,200 lires per hour to overcome trapped air problem. Air will get trapped whilst passing via the U compartment inside the overflow box if the amount of water passing throught is not great enought to push out the air. I use 3 pumps and it works.

u are right bro, i changed to a from the 1250 to 1262

problem solved.

thanks all for the inputs! :ThanxSmiley:

But watch out for eventual gradual rise in your tank water level when your U compartment of your overflow box got brown algae growth which slow down the amount of water flowing throught due to frictional restriction. I already stopped using this Skimz overflow box after i noticed rise in tank water level. The U compartment design built-in on overflow box is too narrow only 12mm gap and also no screen barrier to stop any fishes flowing down into the box or worse if a fat sea cucumber got stucked then will cause instant flooding. Now i using the Tunze overflow box much better with removable U bend pipe including screen barrier which is so easy to clean than Skimz model.