Deep sand bed

babareef

• SRC Member

Hi GUys, I always envy those DT with deep sand bed. They really look cool. I tried before during my first few years of reef keeping but it only look good in the beginning. But when my nitrates started to increase, it created lots of problem. Right now I am thinking of going back to DSB with at least 6 inch of deep sand. Will it work? FYI I'm keeping LPS and soft corals. I do have 4 huge live rocks in my 4 ft tank. My fishes are Bartlett, Carberyi, blue eye anthiass; some fairy wrasses, blue,yellow and purple Tangshan and true perc clown.

In my sump I have a healthy, fast growing cheato, H&S protein skimmer and two FRs running with bio pellets.

Can some of you guys give me good advise on this? All tips are are welcome. :ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

My no3 and po4 are under control at this time. NO3 ranging from 1 to 5 during normal days. PO4 I don't really test cos not much problem with algae and red slime. I shd say yes they are enough with my current bare bottom tank. My question would be would I need extra careful husbandry cos right now I do 5% wc every week. Btw I also have poly filter placed in my sump..

Thanks tunicates for the response.

Hi,

I use DSB maintained in my sump to keep SPS, test with salifert 0.2ppm nitrate po4 is undetectable. Use cheato and rowaphos to deal with PO4.

Think its a very natural method plus u will see a lot of pods which i think is benificial for the anthais.

Colour wise for the sps I'm still nt able to attain what they have in those ULNS though however i think its ok for the softies and LPSs

HTH =)

• SRC Member

Hi Weisiang tx for the response. So your DT is also bare? I had miracle mud in my sump full of chaetos for two years. Was great lots of pods but could not maintain it cos it's ex to replace yearly. Btw so you recommend I have DSB in my sump instead?

Hi baba,

Yup my DT is bare, I think that there are some benefits to keep DSB in sump. Think there are a lot of ways to do it, but I think its worth a try ? Reasons as follows...

1) Don't have to worry about the sand from the bottom being blown away.

2) In the event when there's a need to replace your DSB, we can just isolate the sump and clear away the sand. Without fear that the hydrogen sulphide, which might have accumulated in the sand bed to contaminate the DT.

I never use miracle mud though, using sugar fine sized Caribsea Aragonite instead, at height of 5 inches.

HTHs =)

miracle mud has to replace yearly?

babareef i think if you run biopellets dont need to have DSB in your DT.

and if you run 2 FR biopellets also quite expensive right? compare to changing the MM yearly.

• SRC Member

You r right rush act. But I want the DSB for aesthetic reason. Also if I'm not wrong DSB also good for nitrogen cycle. Last time my sand on my DT were not deep enough. I just wanna gather experience from those people who have DSB on their DT. Of course my decision will be based on what I gather from the bros out there.

Thanks again.