canister filter and suggestions

• SRC Member

Hello guys. Need some input from more experienced bros here.

Any advices at all would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

I'm changing my internal filter to an external canister one, been eyeing the eheim 2011 or is there any better suggestions? Oh its a 2ft/15g/60l fowlr.

I'm getting a red sea prizm skimmer from a bro here this wkend.

Changing the powerhead to a koralia nano as well.

Any suggestions are much welcome.

Thanks a million.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Have a look at Eheim Pro 2224. Looks professional (not lie the toy-like ecco series). Easier to maintaint than the Eheim classic canister yet only consumes 8 watts.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Don't overlook the contents as that's where the real business of the canister is - bio-filtration. Do away with ceramic rings and use good quality media like Substrate pro or Biohome.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Don't overlook the contents as that's where the real business of the canister is - bio-filtration. Do away with ceramic rings and use good quality media like Substrate pro or Biohome.

Thanks a lot! Btw in terms of the media, is there a difference in terms of placement like the substrate pro on top or vice versa? And that's the two recommended media besides the usual sponge or are there more?

I'm changing the filter and was wondering if I need to place a piece or the whole old filter media inside the new one as I read that's where the good bacteria colonise.

Lastly the eheim pro 2224 is sold at NA? I'm most probably going down there this wkend or c328 over the weekdays since my sch is nearby.

I apologise for the incessant question.

Thanks again!

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Oh I'm not too sure if this is the right thread but last night my dad being the excited person that he is who used to have a marine aquarium,the undergravel filter era, duly went to a LFS and got this colony of zoas and what looks like to be a tubeworm?

Am I correct to say it is and judging from its looks, I'm hoping its not dying or something.

I'm using 2x24WT5HO, is that enough?

• SRC Member

Below's the pictures.

post-19676-0-68942400-1311929719_thumb.j

post-19676-0-81811000-1311930108_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Thanks a lot! Btw in terms of the media, is there a difference in terms of placement like the substrate pro on top or vice versa? And that's the two recommended media besides the usual sponge or are there more?

I'm changing the filter and was wondering if I need to place a piece or the whole old filter media inside the new one as I read that's where the good bacteria colonise.

Lastly the eheim pro 2224 is sold at NA? I'm most probably going down there this wkend or c328 over the weekdays since my sch is nearby.

I apologise for the incessant question.

Thanks again!

You still need the filter sponge and/or wool to keep detritus out of the bio-media. You can also consider adding activated carbon and/or granular ferric oxide. Normally, the order will be: water in - sponge - wool - biomedia - carbon - GFO.

I prefer using bacterial seed products (e.g. Microbe-Lift Special Blend) to start the bacterial colony rather than using old media but the choice is yours.

Canisters need to be cleaned regularly. This is their main drawback.