How I DIY my simple Overflow Pipe

chrisyew

• SRC Member

Since I'm using a non pre-drilled tank, so it's my onli choice to have an overflow pipe. Decided to try to DIY one as those commercially available ones are too expensive for me.

I bought most of the piping accessories from; (thanks to bro Marble)

Soon Hui Trading at No. 253, Jalan Kayu.

The pipe size I used is schedule 40 3/8" - means i/d 13mm and o/d 18mm. These pipes are from Singa Plastic;

Singa Plastic

Here are some of the joints, valves and accessories;

overflow-1.jpg

• SRC Member

These 2 items you must buy. The pvc pipe cutter is gonna save you lots of time and it's easy to use. It costs onli $9.50. Also the glue for the pipe.

But it from the same hardware shop. The middle aged woman there is very helpful and juz tell her what you want - she will help you.

overflow-2.jpg

• SRC Member

As for the surface skimmer, I do not intend to use the bigger size pipe and preferred to use acrylic. Of course there are many ways to go about doing the surface skimming but being lazy, I preferred the easy way out hehe.

If you are using the bigger pipes, you will have to saw the slots or whatever method you have. Since I hate doing that, I got Dama to have it "Laser cut", but it's costly. 3 pieces that you see below cost me $24.

Of course laser cut, it's very smooth. If you intend to have 2 overflow pipes, you juz have a bigger width.

Alternatively, if you find laser cut is too expensive, you may cut those surface skimmer from JBJ (about $3.50 a piece) to size and glue to the acrylic here.

overflow-3.jpg

• SRC Member

First I will glue the 3 pcs with the surface skimming together;

overflow-4.jpg

Now I joined the back transparent part together. The reason for using black for the 3 parts is because I'm using black Oyama paper, so the surface skimmer won't be so obvious in the tank. The transparent piece at the back is for me to see any objects stuck inside the box - ease of maintenance.

overflow-5.jpg

• SRC Member

Now followed by the black bottom piece.

Once you got this done, let it dry for a while. Thereafter, go for a leak test by pouring water in the skimmer box until it overflows. Leave it overnight to see if it leak. If leak, try to reapply glue and press it together. This is an important step that one shouldn't miss.

overflow-6.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks to Melvin of sgreef for the Overflow pipe idea;

Melvin's overflow pipe idea

Basically what I'm doing is similar to what is posted in that thread with juz some minor tweaks to suit me.

So while doing the leak test for the surface skimmer, I proceed with the overflow pipe. Take note of which part to glue as shown in this thread;

Compliment to Rockfish of sgreef;

Where to glue

overflow-7.jpg

Once the leak test is completed the next day, I glued the balance pieces together to the surface skimmer. The semi-circle slot is for holding the pipes in place.

This hook is glued together and the slot is for the pipes to be put in place.

overflow-8.jpg

• SRC Member

Before we proceed any further, let's plug in the ball valve to the overflow pipe and do a test. Juz use a pail of water to test it will do. Remember there must be a small hole drilled at the end cap.

overflow-9.jpg

(Pls I'm not ###### out the toilet water out! :P )

• SRC Member

After the test run of the overflow pipe, now is the time to place it in the surface skimmer box to see if it fits nicely.

The top part sitting nicely on the semi-circle slot.

overflow-10.jpg

The bottom part inside the surface skimmer box.

overflow-11.jpg

• SRC Member

OK, now is the time to hook up everything for the real run.

See the surface skimmer is juz hook on the tank and the overflow pipe juz slip on the semi-circle slot. You can juz remove the overflow pipe without taking out the surface skimmer box.

overflow-12.jpg

A closer look at the top;

overflow-13.jpg

oh that is very useful and interesting .

how much is the total cost ?

is there anyway to reduce the bubble at the outflow?

it can be quite noisy right ?

:)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
oh that is very useful and interesting .

how much is the total cost ?

is there anyway to reduce the bubble at the outflow?

it can be quite noisy right ?

:)

Total cost is very cheap if you don't do laser cut hehe! But prepare to sweat it out if you are young, not me though.

Didn't really calculate the actual cost as I'm buying for the whole sump set up pipings and joints. But you can count the number of joint and pipe.

Give you an estimate;

1 long piece of 3/8" pvc pipe is only $5.00 and you can ask her to cut it up smaller lenght. Total length I can't remember but very very long.

Ball valve is $4.00 each.

90deg Elbow joint is $0.50 each.

T-joint, coupling all at $0.50 each.

Acrylic is about $1.00 to $2.00 each piece and cut to your size (at Dama). The workers there alreadi very fed up with my small little pieces every now and then hehe.

Reduce the bubbles should be able to but haven't got time to try it out yet. Anyway, the bubble won't flow back to the main tank. Noise can be adjusted as I read in the other thread by another brother. Not really noisy. I'm not letting it run fully until my next Auto Level Cutoff project.... ;)

wow!

supercool design that is!

currently i'm using an overflow pipe similiar to bro Melvin's design and it seems that it produces quite a bit of water gurgling noise within the pipes cos of all the air bubbles..

would be best if Bro chrisyew could brilliantly figure out some way to reduce/remove the noise to save some bros out there (like me) from some "ear damage".. :D:D

:peace:

• SRC Member

To reduce the air bubbles flowing to the sump, what I used was "black basket". The black basket comes when you buy the fresh water plants, they normally sell the plant in this little basket thingy. I put the basket over the overflow down pipe. This cuts the noise and allows the water to flow better. I used to put a sponge there, the problem is when you restart the suction again, the sponge tends to overflow and creates a problem. The basket way is problem free. Tested a few times to confirm this.

By the way, great DIY and careful thought and planning to ensure problem free DIY. :rolleyes: