Pasir Ris floating fish farm massive fish death discussion

AroDan

Hi guys,

I believe you all must have heard of this big news of huge amount of caged fishes died.

AVA mentioned that it should be due to the low level of dissolved oxygen in the water or plankton bloom.

I know 1 of the farmers there and was thinking maybe with some good ideas or suggestions from SGReefclub hobbyist I can share with him.

Any good suggestions on how to do or what to do to keep this aquaculture going again?

Any way of checking for low oxygen level using a simple equipment?

• SRC Supporter

It's good to have an orp meter to monitor the level of oxygen around their farm, maybe fix on to alarm to notify if the level drop drastically to dangerous level.

After which step like using a powerful air pump to increase the oxygen in the net could help save the fishes when such event occur.

Just my own thoughts..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

I think one of the lim chu kang kelong fish farm already deployed this technology with the pump automation. The owner is by the name of Malcolm if I remembered correctly. And I think not all can afford such automation which increases operating costs. I think ava has to play a more active role for such success stories sharing amongst the kelong owners and provide easier access to their grants.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

This phenomenon could be due to the oil spill when 2 ships collide with each other . 2 collusion in a spat of 2week .. The last one occured last week if im not wrong . Made me cancel a fishing trip to st johns island next week, heard the oil spill was quite bad ..

Stairway to Heaven

Move all farming inland, no more such problems. Singapore being such a developed country should have supported inland intensive aquaculture long ago. It's a shame when all the authorities want to do is to push fish farmers off valuable land so the land can be used for more profitable purposes. When you do fish farming offshore, there is no control over water quality. Fish farming itself is risky business, much less adding on the risks associated with the elements.

• Like 3

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Inland fish farming in an urban setting is not impossible. This company in Hong Kong shows how. It's a closed system. http://world.time.com/2013/10/14/on-a-hong-kong-rooftop-an-urban-fish-farm/ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Supporter

Is this ORP meter similar to a PH meter where you just drop into the water?

Any suggestion where can this ORP meter be bought?

I think you can find such commercial meter from hanna instrument .

Bro cutebarra77

You are correct. That farm is run by Malcolm and I also read about online.

I think the problem these old farmers faced is the access to funding. I heard that if they are or have been fined for any wrong doings on the kelong, then they will not be allowed to apply for any grant.

I hope AVA can revised this ruling to allow per case basis.

Bro FuEl,

You are also correct on this where more and more land have been taken back by govt when their land lease expired.

The problem with off shore farming is the elements that can't be controlled. But then again, there are many very good off shore spots around North of P.Tekong with very good water and current and also at area where Barramundi Asia of shore farm is located which is at Southern side of Singapore.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We have the solution for the fish farm owners which monitors the dissolved oxygen and water quality and provides mobile alert and initiates the necessary measures (to provide more oxygen etc).
We would like to work with fish farm owners to resolve the problem with our solution. The cost of the solution can be covered by PIC or AVA schemes. Need AVA or someone in the inductry or fish farm owner to introduce us to share our solution to other fish farm owners.
We will be glad to meet up any fish farm owner to discuss about this and the way forward. Thanks and regards.
Sebastian Chia