light for my corals

Hi there, 

I can not find the optimal light bulbs for the corals. I grow them in 90 gal aquarium. I have both soft and hard corals. I took 4 fluorescent bulbs (12 w) each but the light was not bright. How many bulbs do i need and how to select the proper brightness?

Please explain me, because I am a newbie.

• SRC Member

Hi there, 

I can not find the optimal light bulbs for the corals. I grow them in 90 gal aquarium. I have both soft and hard corals. I took 4 fluorescent bulbs (12 w) each but the light was not bright. How many bulbs do i need and how to select the proper brightness?

I can't help but notice. 12watts? quite low for a reef aquarium. We usually use High Output bulbs. How long is your tank?

Hi there, 

Want try LED? Lol

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Hi there, welcome to SRC! What kind of soft & hard corals are you keeping? That wld determine your lighting needs...

I have mainly leather and pipe corals. The size of tank is this 48″ x 18″ x 24″  

Also, I purchased these bulbs https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/ballasts/fluorescent-ballasts/1854152_flft5eh54w850_fulham-lighting/  They are bright now, but I assume that it is too bright now. 

• SRC Supporter

It is better to get those full spectrum led light recommended for a reef tank. Try to tune down the light if you can as soft coral prefer lower lighting.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk