Diy overflow for my refugium

keithtanbb

Meant to get one of the commercially available overflow kit.But found this Jebo ($27 at LSF) fountain filter (with in-built pump) went about converting it by drilling 2 outlet down to sump to be pumped back to my main tank I also incorporated a gravity feed into this system as a back up for my Jewel 3 feet refugium.

post-9-1131153295.jpg

vipersig.jpg

top view of the filter (apologies for the hazy snap shots!....still hang over!) anyway incorporated 2 elbow to raise the height as the pump cannot be run dry also needs a quieter overflow down. not using any filter floss as this overflow is meant for the critters from the refugium to be fed into my main tank

post-9-1131153563.jpg

vipersig.jpg

back view -as in the back of my refugium.the pump will feed amphipods rich water into my main tank(hopefully) the gravity fed overflow pipe(on the right) will provide additional volume, as well as serve as a back up in the event my pump goes kaput! taken into considertion to drill a hole incase of over siphon. and will add a air tubing into my circulation pump to take trap air from the angle of the overflow-pipe.

post-9-1131153904.jpg

vipersig.jpg

add a end cap (drilled some holes to be able to adjust the flow rate ) drilled a hole as protection from over-siphon.plan to start the siphon going by using a pump initially--had a busy schedule despite the 2 holidays , had busted a drill trying to bore thru my chengai wood cabinet...but plan to devote time tomorrow on starting the system.Fingers crossed of course!

post-9-1131154432.jpg

vipersig.jpg

Don't mean to shock anyone with this level of craftmanship!! But "work in progress' I alway like the before/after effect of diy jobs. My 7 feet main tank on the right.The 3 feet refugium sitting pretty on the top. Ordered another sump tank for my live rocks -collecting this evening! 1 day job for the tank maker-good price too.Will restart my plankton ,brine shrimp, rotifers factories once I clean up the mess......

post-9-1131154791.jpg

vipersig.jpg

still working on it- letting the tank cycle with no chiller before incorporating into my system-had collected fresh sea water from east coast to hastent he process- 6x 20 litres jerry can!!! and still short ! had to use tap water to fill in the gap- will flush all out and collect more fresh water this weekend.

anyway got my overflow filter to work, with success!!! the flow rate is steady, only need to pay special attention to the return pump-I fitted a valve to control the flow rate.

check out this guy's work -he is fantastic!

http://www.weatherson.com/links.htm

another interesting site to read up on overflow -modifications;

http://www.rl180reef.com/180/index.html

post-9-1131669356.jpg

vipersig.jpg

by the way the JEBO overflow has a control valve to tweak the inflow rate- but rather leave it as it is- the gravity siphon is not working out! will try to rectify later when i have the time.Other wise the top view looks like this, the elbow in place acts to reduce the noise of water Gargling Sound -down wards

post-9-1131669666.jpg

vipersig.jpg

the 3 feet juwel tank converted-gonna use DSB and add macroalgae later on- temperature reads 30.5 degree!!! as I did not use a chiller-my main tank has a 1 horse powered so gonna tap that.my additional sump below, old skimmer, some live rocks, (( just found out that BIO BALLS are bad!!!!!!) gonna take those out from my main tank in-build overflow box- OTHERWISE- all system are go for the refugium, cycling nicely-

post-9-1131670008.jpg

vipersig.jpg

If there is a power black out,

1) Jebo pump stops drawing in water supply

2) the return pump stops -but potential problem of back flow/back siphon!!!

3) the gravity siphon still works!!!

4) I fitted a valve to adjust the rate of flow-by monitoring visually!!! only for the inlet /return pump, as the rate of flow from the gravity and JEBO overlfow is pretty much constant....

I drilled a hole in the 2 pipes at a pre-determined point to prevent back -siphon from return pump and the gravity siphon. Below is a sketch of the system, but mine is gonna be linked to my main tank .My outlet will be channelled to my main tank as hopefully lots of copepods, amphipods will feed my corals :angel: . my water supply to the refugium will be from the outlet of my protein skimmer -to my secondary sump with live rocks and up to hopefully a lush crops of chaeto's and other macroalgae's ( I have been having phosphate issues!! ) :idea:

post-9-1131759723.jpg

vipersig.jpg

First, I guest we are not here to demoralize you and mainly for sharing experience.

1. All those pumps are without censor to balance the flow rate and form time to time you will facing problem between the over flow and return.

2. When power failure say for 5 minute, gravity siphon will stop as you drilled two holes on the pipes. If the power resume without human attention, the gravity siphon will not able to resume and the return flow rate should be faster by then.

3. If only the JEBO overflow failed due to what ever reason, the return flow rate should be faster by then too.

It depend how you see the impact to your house when such incident.

Cheers!

:idea: Ah!!!! thats why the JEBO internal pump kicks back in! and balance out- I added the gravity siphon as a back-up incase my JEBO pump fails.NO offence taken from your injects-the reason why I post the job is as an alternative and what material are available to us locally, also like other ideas/opinion on the work.
vipersig.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my 3 footer- intended plants only refugium, housing the clown fishes- as they were bullied in the main tank! bought (( initially had troubles with water levels- but with adjustments and ensuring no clogging of inlet/outlet pipes- everything settled in nicely!! the U pipe hanging is the $2 one I use in addition- fine tuning.....

post-9-1135651045.jpg

vipersig.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

some brothers here been asking fo my specs .ie the pumps and hang-on,

JEBO 505

VOLTAGE: AC 110V/220V/240V

WATTAGE : 7W

MAXIMUM OUTPUT 750L / Hr 200G / Hr

SIZE : (295mm X 115mm X 250mm)

DUAL WATERFALL DESIGN

HEAVY DUTY MOTOR /SUPER QUIET MOTOR

LONG LASTING /GIVES MUCH MORE OXYGEN TO YOUR LOVELY FISH

MULTI LAYER BIO-CHEMICAL FILTERING MATERIAL

VERY EASY TO INSTALL

and then the 2 dymax EPH3000 return pumps I am using;

post-9-1137051058.jpg

vipersig.jpg

I use a series of small air tube lines (siphon) as "fine tuning for equalizing the volume/levels of water in the tanks!! sounds complicated but, actually easy to adjust. The side of dymax pumps outlet has a airtube connector (for bubbles) you need to attach a air tube to direct water flow to the desired tank , I mean if you have 2, easy ( I have 5 separate tanks to control!) 5th is a mangrove nursery that I have incorporated

post-9-1137052022.jpg

vipersig.jpg

WRONG MODEL FOR RETURN PUMPS ; OOPS!!! hey guys, I made a boo boo, I posted wrong pump for the return. (threw the box away ,when I installed the 2x dymax pumps) anyway, the ones in my tanks are the EPH2000 ones.....and not the oversized EPH 3000, apologies

post-9-1137073118.jpg

vipersig.jpg

I used smaller "siphon" U-tubes to tweak the tanks water levels...the only issue I have so far is when plants debris get choke on the JEBO flow control trap, i plan to remove that to increase that bottle neck, or place a net to trap water intake before getting suck in thru the Jebo intake tube.

post-9-1137074088.jpg

vipersig.jpg

• 2 years later...

hello....

I have just installed that same JEBO 505 filter in my 20G tank ...however when ever the power goes it never restarts...I need to get it restarted without priming it because if I am not home then my aquarium will be lost?

what can I do to get it to restart on its own?

Thanks again

nbrebel